• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Carter is improving as a lock. His lineout work and body height need work, but compare his performance everywhere else to that of Simmons when Simmons first made the team and he doesn't seem so bad suddenly.

Australia stuck with Simmons through some pretty dodgy rugby, if he was in NZ or SA I reckon he would have copped the "not upto it" tag and been discarded much earlier. But he's coming good now and crucially our only dominant lineout forward.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd be picking the majority of the side that should have beaten the All Blacks in Brizzy. Inside centre is a conundrum, but flip a coin on that one. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will play on one wing, with Speight and Horne fighting it out for the other. Again, flip a coin but I lean towards Henry. With Higgers unavailable I'd be very tempted to pick McMahon, with Jones on the bench. The rest of the side almost pick themselves really.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Agree on the first few points.

Re: To'omua v Lilo

Realistically neither To'omua or Lilo are players that command selection, so until Australia produces a 12 that absolutely has to be picked, I think it is best to go with established combinations and the best defender. And on that basis I would probably pick To'omua. I also think Kuridrani plays better with To'omua inside of him.

Gee wouldn't you think Lilo's last performance demands selection? Couldn't get much better then that. Only downside is, he has only played one game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree on the first few points.

Re: To'omua v Lilo

Realistically neither To'omua or Lilo are players that command selection, so until Australia produces a 12 that absolutely has to be picked, I think it is best to go with established combinations and the best defender. And on that basis I would probably pick To'omua. I also think Kuridrani plays better with To'omua inside of him.

My reasons are a bit more nebulous, Lilo is that little more fluid and complimented Foley's play very well in the last ABs test which led to the best display by a 12 for the Wobs this year. To'omua's more stoic style suits Cooper's flamboyance.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Will be very interesting. I think TGC will retain the team (those available) from Bled 3 bar the inclusion of Horwill in the starting side, Genia on the bench and injury replacement for Higgers (could be Hodgson or McMahon or even Jones if they believe the line out is an area of focus, which is fair enough given Higgers skills there).

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
You were wrong - face it. It appears you have short term memory issues: so I'll remind you of your fearless prediction (which we debated - so don't accuse me of making my predictions after the match)

The team that played bore no resemblance to the team that played 2 weeks earlier. At least one minor difference was the coach had changed in the meantime.
They looked like a scratch team: look at the complaints about the ball going behind the receiver.
One of us was right and his name was not biffo.

absolutely.
my predicted score did not eventuate.

however, that has nothing to do with my point re time together and cohesion of the Wallabies.
who would have thought that the Barbarians would combine so well, given their very short time for preparation and limited previous playing time together.

i think only McMahon of the game day 23 was new to the Wallabies' squad.
all the rest had been playing and training together for many months/ a few years.

still, let's not disrespect the GAGR rules on letting go.
i am not going to agree that five days' together and two training runs was anywhere near the intensity and extensity of preparation for a test team.
you are not going to agree that playing and training together for several months/ years is far more than a pick-up team does and is akin to test Tier 1 preparation.

let gone.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not a bad side at all, if all those players are available. Quite good, actually. If that side is named, I reckon Wales would go in as favourites.

Not sure on their form though, as I have watched next to no NH rugby. Tipuric not playing well enough to make the starting side currently?

The weak point would have to be their halves, though. And they'll take a bit hit if North and Davies are out.

It's a settled lineup also (if my selection is what runs out that is).

Tips and Lydiate are a line ball call. But I think Tips can provide good impact off the bench. Dan Lydiate has been one of Wales best for a couple of years now.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WALES TEAM TO PLAY AUSTRALIA:
Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Paul James (Bath), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Unattached), Sam Warburton (Capt), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).
Replacements: Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (London Wasps), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues).

Tevita vs North - awesome.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
tactically the welsh should be fairly predictable. They'll have Roberts and North smash it up all night. Should play into our hands really.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hey dude, just so you know. You are completely wrong about Higgers. Like, completely wrong? I mean, nothing you have written above is correct. Did you watch the game?

I'm 15 minutes through the Barbarians game and have been player-camming him the whole time. And he has made 3 tackles, including 2 tackles in a row in the 8th minute. He has been EXTREMELY active around the park and is regularly one of the first persons set in the defensive line. He also knocked the ball down to prevent a 5 v 2 overlap from eventuating. 1 Minute later he sticks his head in a maul and holds the ball up over the line. That maul looked for certain to be a try.

Let me spell it out for you, because you obviously can't count past 1.

Higgers is our biggest, quickest and most athletic forward. Unfortunately, Rugby players are smart and try and avoid running directly into the biggest c**t on the field. Not surprising that he doesn't make as many tackles as the smallest men on the park regularly do (Hodgeson, Hooper).

So please. Stop bullshitting evidence to suit your agenda. You're just as bad as the bloke claiming White kicked it too much.

Higgers played well in his 20 minutes on the field. That is all.

/Rant.

I will watch it again. I thought he did little but the numbers came from the post-game stats.

Here: http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/match/225445.html

I didn't sit down and count it out and I'll admit that the stats aren't always bang on. But I didn't bullshit evidence and I don't have an agenda. I liked Higgers a couple of years back but I don't think he is in that form and I don't think he should be starting. I'll also stand by what I said about him being shown up by McMahon who was quicker and more athletic.

You need to take a few deep breaths.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unfortunately, Rugby players are smart and try and avoid running directly into the biggest c**t on the field. Not surprising that he doesn't make as many tackles as the smallest men on the park regularly do (Hodgeson, Hooper).

o_O

1. Higgers isn't the biggest fluffybunny on the field.

2. Simmons, Carter, Fardy, McCalman and Palu have been 3 players who have often topped the tackle count for the Wallabies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Cheiks goes with Foley over Cooper, he should go with Leali'ifano, primarily because of their effectiveness against the ABs.

How good is it though to see multiple, viable inside back/midfield combinations? Could almost go with Cooper and To'omua on the bench to come on and play in tandem in the last 20.

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Horwill - harsh on Carter but the former is needed in the early exchanges for his abrasiveness
6. Jones (need McMahon on the bench to cover 8 unless Jones can?)
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Leali'ifano
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

Reserves: Hanson, Robinson, Faulkner, Carter, McMahon, White, Cooper, Horne

Status
Not open for further replies.