• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wales v Wallabies, Cardiff, Nov 30 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ Is Lilo's ankle up to it?

There is some speculation that he would be better off with a rest.

He is not moving as fluidly as he has in the past.

I can see the Boyos trying to target the 10/12/13 channel, running straight, hard and fast like the Eurostar train.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I have been a bit sleepy and was unaware of Lilo's ankle issues, but make that my 5th reason to run Harris on at 12.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I know we don't really have other options but I'd baulk at moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to centre - the backline has been operating so much better with him on the wing.

Agreed - but that's assuming To'omua and Kuridrani are available, which they aren't.

So AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is clearly the best option at 13 for this game.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
This would be my team as well, only change is Gill out, nothing to do with his night out, just that he has only been used to give hooper a rest, as this is the last game probably unnecessary.
When Palu is back or higgers I wouldn't mind seeing Fardy tested in the 2nd row.
Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Simmons
Horwill
Fardy
Hooper
Mowen
Genia
Cooper
Cummins
Harris
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Tomane
Folau

Robinson, Alexander, Polota-Nau, Timani, McCalman, White, CFS, Foley

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would say Harris looked better than Lilo because the ball didnt get past harris alot he played a more ball runner 12 than play maker.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

It was a messy track and his runs were effective, I don't think it's a massive issue TBH.

Only as good as their last game.

So the saying goes, but honestly how often is this the case when a Tier 1 nation plays a Tier 2 one?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I know we don't really have other options but I'd baulk at moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to centre - the backline has been operating so much better with him on the wing.

I'd pick Harris, but that's partly because I want to see Lilo come on and play flyhalf for the last 20 minutes

I was just about to say the same thing.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a backline killer. But I don't know what other option we have. Hopefully CFS gets a year at 13 for the reds and becomes a second option because I want a bloke that can at least make an offload (ie isn't selfish) at 13.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) must play at 13 against Wales. I'd prefer Lilo at 12, because I think he's a better player than Harris but Aussie Mike didn't do a huge amount wrong on the weekend. The pack should remain the same. They got the job done against Scotland and basically pick themselves at the minute.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I just hope that the Boyos didn't watch how the Paddies were able to nearly steal the match from the Darkness. One week is a long time in International Rugby and previous form and reputation counts for nothing, when you are staring down the barrel of a hiding to nothing.

My fear is that the Boyos come out firing as they did against the Soap Dodgers in the last round of the 6N earlier this year. If they do that, inspired by the performance out up by the "disorganised rabble" that was the Irish, then the Men in Gold are in for a very tough day at the office.

The Optimism Gnome works his magic in many funny and warped ways.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can only be used on the extremities on attack. He can come inside on defence for some inside channel work to take on the big centres and Faletau, but he must retreat to the end of the line on attack, where his propensity to go into contact will be seen as more of an asset than in the #13 channel where there is often open men outside him.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think this in a very important game for us. Confidence can play a big role in a team's success, and in this regard we don't want the Welsh getting their tails up too much before the WC. This could be our last outing against them before 2015 and it would be nice to keep our unbeaten record intact.

I noticed that we have risen to no.3 in the world rankings, but will surely drop back to fourth if we lose on the weekend. Ranking don't matter so much atm, but the result is important none-the-less

I'd like to see us go out on Saturday and put some pressure on at scrum time. With no adam jones we could conceivably win the scrum battle. I'm actually quietly confident about this game (more so than the game against Ireland). I just hope we don't run out of puff.

T

tranquility

I am absolutely confident of this match, I am not sure when such cautiousness creeped into the psyche of Australian supporters or if it just a rugby thing.

I don't even know when Wales last beat us? Was it when Connolly was coaching? Why should we fear this mob?

Sure much of the same players beat us in the Lions series, but they also had the benefit of many other class players who perhaps do not have the mental scars against us that the Welsh boys do.

We are starting to look like a strong unit again, this game will be hard fought and surely very close, but why should we feel anything other than optimism for this result?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I am absolutely confident of this match, I am not sure when such cautiousness creeped into the psyche of Australian supporters or if it just a rugby thing.

I don't even know when Wales last beat us? Was it when Connolly was coaching? Why should we fear this mob?

Sure much of the same players beat us in the Lions series, but they also had the benefit of many other class players who perhaps do not have the mental scars against us that the Welsh boys do.

We are starting to look like a strong unit again, this game will be hard fought and surely very close, but why should we feel anything other than optimism for this result?

We've gotten rolled in most games we've played this year.

Despite the last few weeks, most of our pack is still not upto the standard of a top test team.

We really don't have that much to be confident about. It should be a close one.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We've gotten rolled in most games we've played this year.

Despite the last few weeks, most of our pack is still not upto the standard of a top test team.

We really don't have that much to be confident about. It should be a close one.

Leaving aside the Lions, we've lost to New Zealand, South Africa and England and beaten Argentina, Italy, Scotland and Ireland. Wales probably resides right around the cusp between those two groups. I reckon this game will give us a good sense of where we stand at the end of the year. I reckon we'll win, and head into the offseason with four on the trot.

Like a junkie, we bottomed out weeks ago and are on the road to recovery.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the injuries will be a bridge too far for Wales.

I thought they looked very dangerous in the first 10-15 minutes against South Africa a couple of weeks ago mostly on the back of some great attacking by Jonathan Davies. Without him, I really think their backline lacks penetration and they'll struggle.

They looked hapless against Tonga but that doesn't mean much. They're not the only team with a habit of dropping their form to match their opponent.

Without Adam Jones their scrum should be well below its best and we should hopefully get an advantage there as well.

Unless the Wallabies fall apart I think we'll win this one.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Why is there suddenly so much concern about Lilo's ankle? He has been playing on it all season and people are suddenly speculating about it after 1 off game in a position he has never played.

Status
Not open for further replies.