• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^^
Regarding Koroibete, the biggest plus for me is he’s stopped trying to run over his opposite every touch and is getting on his outside or finding the man on the inside. Rebels have also started to use him much better in defence, I get the idea behind using his speed to defend in the 13 channel where he can drift out onto the winger if need be but he doesn’t have the game awareness to drift or shoot at the right time. Much better to park him in the 10 channel where he can make a front on tackle and drop Quade into the blindside wing spot.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Banks won't make it. Same reason Philip won't either. Cheika will deal with known quality unless their form is impossible to ignore and demands their inclusion. I'd disagree with Maddocks being off the boil and that Banks' form has been outstanding.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It'll be quite the gamble throwing White straight in. Will he be available for the RC? a few trial runs seems appropriate.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
We have quality players to select - we just need to get them gelling at national level.

The reality is that the likes of Quade, Jake Gordon, one of Tom Robertson/James Slipper/Sekope Kepu, Tolu Latu, Matt Philip, two of Ned Hanigan/Luke Jones/Rory Arnold/Jack Dempsey, Tom Banks are likely to miss, yet would gain selection in almost every other squad bar NZ, Ireland & England.

And then other capped Wallabies, in Australia, playing regularly like BPA, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), CFS, Sam Carter, Christian Lealiifano, Rona, Joe Powell, Scott Higginbotham, Tetera Faulkner, Jermaine Ainsley, Caleb Timu, Henry Speight aren't really close to contention either.

Throw the uncapped Meakes, Pulu, McCaffrey, McDermott, Hegarty, Wright, Holloway, Valetini, Petaia, Cottrell, English, Smith twins, Cusack in as well - they'd quitepossibly get a gig at other QF-making nations.

And then there's the ineligible players overseas too - half a dozen of whom are genuinely very good players (Skelton, Fardy, McMahon, Gill, TQN, Hanson).

The issue isn't the playing depth - it's the coaching and culture. I hope the coaches, and culture people, have realised this and planned accordingly.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Banks won't make it. Same reason Philip won't either. Cheika will deal with known quality unless their form is impossible to ignore and demands their inclusion. I'd disagree with Maddocks being off the boil and that Banks' form has been outstanding.

You are missing the point. The objective is to get to 0 Tahs in the RWC squad.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Doesn't Hooper still play for the Brumbies?

Narr his been rubbish ever since he left.

But on a much sadder note Pocock might never play again.

"I think the best thing now is to take the pressure off and actually get it right rather than continuing to do what I was doing," Pocock said. "I'd be very disappointed [if I never play again]. It could be the case, I don't know. But I'll certainly be doing everything I can for it not to be the case. You've just got to deal with things that happen"

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He has been a great servant to world rugby and deserves a crack at this RWC. Still a lot of life left in him and it will be interesting to see which direction he goes.
Could be a real ace up Cheikas sleeve come the knockout stages.
Legend.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agree RC. Just a pity that Coleman's form has dropped off. If he doesn't improve in the next 3 super games, I would like to see Matt Philip come in for his aggressive play.

Nearly everyone here is now talking the same pack, with Slipper/Sio the main point of contention. So, Slipper/Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Rodda, Jones, Hooper, Naisarani is the favoured forward pack. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is a contender for the 6 spot but would possibly be better suited on the bench to cover both 6 and lock. Poey for Hooper is the other possible change if he can prove his fitness and form beforehand. If Poey isn't available, then Pete Samu is the next best bench option to cover 6, 7 and 8. At the moment, he is the best ball carrier in contact in any Aussie side.

Th backs are not so clear and will depend largely on the Cheika game plan. WG has a mortgage on the 9 spot despite a recent drop in form. Who is the best No 10 to partner Will and who will get the likely centres combination of Kerevi and Kuridrani firing best? My preference at the moment is Cooper but I would also consider Matt To'omua. The wings are a conundrum with Koroibete just coming into some form, Naivalu so-so, and Maddocks off the boil. I think the opportunity should be taken to see how Banks would fill the 11 spot with Koroibete proba bly retaining the 14 and DHP almost certain as the 15.

There you have it, subject to form and injuries in the next three weeks.

Sio/Slipper
Fainga'a
Ala'alatoa
Arnold
Rodda
Jones
Hooper
Naisarani
Genia
Cooper
Banks
Kerevi
Kuridrani
Koroibete
DHP

Mafi (or Uelese if he proves his fitness)
Slipper/Sio
Tupou
Salakai-Loto
Pocock/Samu
Powell
To'omua
Hodge
Think you need to proof read this post, you’ve left a Waratah player in. (Smiley face emoji not working from my iPad)

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Unless we've been fed a furphy and he actually ruptured his Achilles, what in the hell could he have actually done to keep him out for 10 WEEKS?

Unless he's been training too hard and hasn't actually let it just rest for long enough to heal, how can a calf 'strain' be that serious? I'm utterly baffled by the whole saga

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Unless we've been fed a furphy and he actually ruptured his Achilles, what in the hell could he have actually done to keep him out for 10 WEEKS?

Unless he's been training too hard and hasn't actually let it just rest for long enough to heal, how can a calf 'strain' be that serious? I'm utterly baffled by the whole saga

could be another injury that they dont want to report - maybe the neck is still bad and they dont want to alert the opposition - one more knock and he may well be done

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did we ever find out what is actually wrong with that calf?

It seems like they've thought it wasn't that serious and he was close to returning but never got there.

Now they've reassessed and decided a longer timeframe needs to be set to return with a slower recovery plan. It's kind of amazing that consensus wasn't reached a month or so ago.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So do we prefer to gamble on Pocock's fitness or just run with Hooper and Samu? who are very strong themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.