• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeepsTragic

What about guys like Chris Roche or Jeff Miller? I know its a different era but both relatively small men playing that forager style of game. I think if Roche was born 25 years later he would have been unstoppable .

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Did anybody read the Australian today? Wayne Smith was rating open side flankers. he think Smith and Pocock are the two best flankers we have ever had. Does everyone agree? I rated Wilson and would probably put him ahead of Smith and Pocock. probably only because of the teams he was involved in but I thought Dave was more constructive at the breakdown. Smith got there faster but Wilson did more when he got there. Who was the best?

Far too complex to make an easy judgement, particularly as I seem to remember the great Greg Davis playing one one side of the scrum, not open side flanker. Loved Simon Poidevin's aggressive defence and ball running, and was very impressed with Jules Guerrasimov's burrowing in at the boots and all rucks.
Gut feeling - George Smith number 1.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Probably Poidevin for me, Smith next best. Poido a bit more in your face than Smith, Smith better at the breakdown but the rules at the breakdown Poidevin played under were so different to Smith it's hard to compare.
While I respect Pocock as one of the best ever at the breakdown, he didn't have nearly the complete game of the other two.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Different eras, Stinky was playing in a time when a breakaways job was to get slippered all day.

Smith is more skilful over the ball that's for sure, but who would I pick in my team? That's a tough one, in today's Smith would get the nod, in the footy I played, I'd go for Stinky.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The absolute clinic that George Smith gave the Bulls in 2013 was a thing of beauty, his whole season showed what class he was.

For me it was Smith, Pocock, Wilson.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Smith is definitely ahead of Pocock. Pocock has nowhere near the attacking game of most of our top 7s.

He's up there because his defensive game particularly the breakdown is better than all of them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah I'd have Smith ahead of Pocock too. Both fill the lower two spots on the dais behind Phil Waugh.

When you consider their all round game (including in the boardroom), Waugh definitely comes out on top.

Here he is, literally in front of Smith.

phil-waugh-george-smith-john-roe-and-nathan-sharpe-pose-during-the-picture-id79499121

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We've been spoilt by greatness in our 7s. I don't know why it happens, but we've never been without a legitimately good one in the professional era.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
When you consider their all round game (including in the boardroom), Waugh definitely comes out on top.

Here he is, literally in front of Smith.
Even as a life long Tah fan i have to concede that Waugh never had the hair to compete with Smith.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ve always been intrigued Wilson doesn’t get more praise. For mine, his influence on games was up there with pretty much everyone bar maybe Eales & Horan. His battles with Kronfel & Neil Back were worth the price of admission alone. Really great player.

Better than Smith & Pocock - I’m not sure. There is a lot of folly in comparing players of different ages. I am just grateful I got to watch all theee play.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Rodda
5. Skelton
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Haylett-Petty
12. Kerevi
13. Kuridrani
14. Maddocks
15. Beale

16. Uelese
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. Coleman
20. Samu
21. White
22. To'omua
23. Hodge

Reactions: TSR

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
George is our greatest 7 ever IMHO. I'd have a back row with him and Poido at 6 though. Proper hard man was Simon. The skills of Smith and the brutality and work rate of Poidevin. That would be some combination.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What about guys like Chris Roche or Jeff Miller? I know its a different era but both relatively small men playing that forager style of game. I think if Roche was born 25 years later he would have been unstoppable .

I rated them both. In the modern era they would be great players IMHO.

I'm also with others on David Wilson, he was excellent. We've really had some exceptional back rowers in my time watching the game (35+ years).

Status
Not open for further replies.