• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
He'd be in the top four locks on form. Whether he makes the 23 is another question.

I've been reading about Skelton's good form recently but I haven't seen much at all of him on the field. Any idea how his scrummaging and line-out has developed? I remember him being a liability in the scrum and was too heavy to lift in the line-out. I remember it became quite difficult finding the right balance in the forward pack because of those issues.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
SMH says he's lost 20-odd kgs since arriving in England. Don't know if he's still earth-bound but it's a big plus for mobility and playing an 80 minute match

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'd have Skelton off the bench, Arnold and Rodda to start. Quite a bit of girth trotting on for the last 20 between Tupou and Skelton.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He started the final for Sarries so youd have to assume hes technically up to it.

Although, they have Itoje at 6 who is a strong lineout option, to compensate.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was voted Saracens player of the year from his peers. Which when you are European champs and in the domestic final, that’s a hell of a season. The team they beat in Leinster, it basically 50% of the Irish team

His conditioning and form is an absolute indictment on the Tahs high performance program. One of the reasons I believe they are starting to struggle to attract players compared to particularly the Brumbies and to a lesser extent Melb. Reds heading in the right direction.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His conditioning and form is an absolute indictment on the Tahs high performance program.

Look how his conditioning changed from when he debuted for the Tahs in 2013 to when he left in 2016. When he started he could barely play 20 minutes.

Look how it's changed across the next 3 years since joining Saracens.

I think there would be a point there if he had remained in the same shape from when he debuted to when he left but there was a vast change there.

He also grew up. That discipline is a lot rarer in a 21 year old than a 27 year old.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Look how his conditioning changed from when he debuted for the Tahs in 2013 to when he left in 2016. When he started he could barely play 20 minutes.

Look how it's changed across the next 3 years since joining Saracens.

I think there would be a point there if he had remained in the same shape from when he debuted to when he left but there was a vast change there.

He also grew up. That discipline is a lot rarer in a 21 year old than a 27 year old.
No the Tah's suck at developing players, ;) nothing to do with growing up..

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Uelese left out of the Rebs 23 this week. What gives?

It's not like Rangi and Roach have been playing poorly. We've got one of the most effective lineouts in the comp, scrums are going forward and they're both playing great running games. He's got to earn it

S

Show-n-go

It's not like Rangi and Roach have been playing poorly. We've got one of the most effective lineouts in the comp, scrums are going forward and they're both playing great running games. He's got to earn it

i would've thought he warranted a bench spot, surely theres a bit of push from the ARU to get him on the paddock

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agreed. Yes Rangi and Roach have been going well but neither offer what Uelese can at test level. His legs need running.
He's only had 2 caps from the bench.

I'd rather see Mafi or Rangi get the role and have TPN in the squad. Uelese's time will come after the world cup.

S

Show-n-go

I'd rather see Mafi or Rangi get the role and have TPN in the squad. Uelese's time will come after the world cup.

i agree buuuut it wouldn't hurt having another option for us to choose from. Roach is never gonna get picked for the wallabies id rather Uelese at least given a decent chance at making it, no matter how late he has left his run

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Neither of them have a single cap to know how they would go. Both are on the small side for test hookers, as is FF (Folau Fainga'a).
JL handled himself very well on the test paddock. He belongs. If he’s fit I would have FF (Folau Fainga'a), TPN and Uelese and I reckon Cheika will do the same.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
There should be a drinking game based around use of the phrase "in a world cup year" because it's getting absolutely flogged to death on the fox and GAGR pods, but....

In a world cup year, all bets are clearly off. I agree - I don't see Roach or Rangi getting a Wallabies jersey, so yes, getting the minutes into Jordie is important.

That said, I've never understood why he's been the anointed one after such limited impact at both super and test level. It's like we've all just assumed he's the golden child after Cheika splashed the holy water on him or something

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That said, I've never understood why he's been the anointed one after such limited impact at both super and test level. It's like we've all just assumed he's the golden child after Cheika splashed the holy water on him or something

I think it's important to consider who else was available when he played his two tests. TPN started.

I think Moore was injured for those two games (he played tests before and after) and Latu was certainly injured.

BPA and Fainga'a had never played a Super Rugby game. Alex Mafi debuted in 2016 for the Reds I think but that was more as an emergency. He definitely wasn't a consistent member of the team in 2017.

It could very easily be a different situation this time around with more competition for that spot.

Rug&tug

Stan Wickham (3)
There should be a drinking game based around use of the phrase "in a world cup year" because it's getting absolutely flogged to death on the fox and GAGR pods, but..

In a world cup year, all bets are clearly off. I agree - I don't see Roach or Rangi getting a Wallabies jersey, so yes, getting the minutes into Jordie is important.

Totally agree! He’s getting some big wraps for a bloke who’s played, what..6hrs of pro rugby?? His line out would be 50% I’m guessing?
He’s got talent but.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hope none of you guys are fans of Petaia? Uelese is a talent and a half, even if it’s been 6 hours, not one of those hours he’s looked out of depth. Was brilliant in his Wallabies debut against a nasty SA pack and at u20s World Cup was a clear level about most of his peers. I think the positivity surrounding him is justified.

If we had 2/3 experienced hookers, I don’t think there would be much discussion around his inclusion. But until Fainga'a (who we all agree is a guaranteed selection) I don’t think anyone has put their hand up and TPN looks like he might be a season past his best

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope none of you guys are fans of Petaia? Uelese is a talent and a half, even if it’s been 6 hours, not one of those hours he’s looked out of depth. Was brilliant in his Wallabies debut against a nasty SA pack and at u20s World Cup was a clear level about most of his peers. I think the positivity surrounding him is justified.

If we had 2/3 experienced hookers, I don’t think there would be much discussion around his inclusion. But until Fainga'a (who we all agree is a guaranteed selection) I don’t think anyone has put their hand up and TPN looks like he might be a season past his best

I agree that Uelese is really talented but he's had a horrible run of injuries and a lot of the competition he now faces weren't there when he did get his brief opportunity for the Wallabies. I think that is the key point.

Literally none of the contenders he is up against this time around were there in 2017 when he did get picked. Cheika is clearly a fan but likewise, he hasn't had the opportunity to show whether he's more or less a fan of Uelese versus Mafi, Rangi (who is playing better than he ever has) and even Latu.

Status
Not open for further replies.