• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Might 's well start the selection lottery early. Squad size is 31, the 2015 squad is broken down as follows: 2 hookers, 5 props, 4 locks, 6 backrowers, 2 scrummies, 2 five-eighths, 3 inside backs and 7 outside backs. I seem to recall Cheika selected two XVs due to the closeness of the first two matches, With eight, six and six day gaps this time the selection philosophy may be different.

The 32 man squad selected for the Irish series+Samu is set out below. I've also added TPN, Latu and Dempsey who're all in the running if they're fit and healthy.

Potential squad:

h: Fainga'a, Latu, BPA, TPN, Uelese
p: Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Tupou
l: Arnold, Coleman, Simmons, Rodda, Tui
br: Dempsey, Hanigan, Hooper, Pocock, Timu, Samu + Jones
1/2: Genia, Phipps, Powell + Gordon
5/8: Foley + To'omua
ib: Beale, Hodge, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Rona
ob: Banks, Folau, DHP, Koroibete, Maddocks, Naivalu

That squad adds up to 36 player, 5 too many. Following this series there's the RC and EoYT squads to be chosen; St Catastrophe of the Injuries will have her usual influence over some who miss out while others will lose form and their spots. Is there anyone else with outstanding form in Super rugby pressing for selection?

My initial thoughts:
  • taking only two hookers seems to be risky
  • ditto for two scrummies
  • at least two rakes won't make the cut, at this stage it's Fainga'a and Uelese. Playing opportunity is vital here
  • one lock may miss the plane, probably Rodda or Tui. Playing opportunity is vital here as well
  • one of the backs definitely won't make it. If Hodge and Rona can play wing it'll be either Banks or Maddocks. I, for one, hope they both show such good form on the wing it's a very difficult decision
  • Foley's about the most important player in Oz rugby ATM

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
h: BPA, TPN, Uelese
p: Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Tupou
l: Arnold, Coleman,Rodda, Tui,
br: Dempsey, Hooper, Pocock, Naisarani, Samu
1/2: Genia, Phipps, Gordon
5/8: Foley
ib: Beale, Hodge, Kerevi, Rona
ob: Folau, DHP, Koroibete, Maddocks, Naivalu

Very similar, subject to injuries, we will prob see Naisarani in for Timu, Gordon in for Powell as he has real gas and can prob sub in as a winger in a pinch, Simmons out, Latu out, Hanigan out with Tui in for the hybrid lock/blindside. Also Naisarani can play lock as well. One of AAA and TR can play both sides of the scrum so will lock up the prop spots.

This is how I see our best 23 for RWC 2019

Sio
Uelese
Kepu
Coleman
Rodda
Pocock
Hooper
Naisarani
Genia
Foley
Korebeite
Beale
Kerevi
Hodge
Folau

TPN
Topou
AAA
Tui
Dempsey
Gordon
Maddocks
Naivalu

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Don't know much about Naisarani, although seasoned rugby judges seem to rate him. I think Cheika's starting to put his RWC19 squad together now, some who're as good as those given a guernsey will miss out. Gordon's one of 'em, at this stage Powell's got the international experience Gordon hasn't; personally, I quite like Jake's play, and could easily see him overtaking Phipps some time soon. I was also quite taken with the young Reds scrummie, Sorovi, in the last Tahs' match in Brisbane. But I reckon Cheika feels the time for developing a raft of promising youngsters is over. A couple (Banks and Maddocks) have made it to this first RWC squad, if they don't cut the mustard at training and in the odd few minutes they may get on the paddock they'll miss out.

Naisarani's got a long queue of backrowers to get in front of if he's going to make the cut. There again, who'd be a selector.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's either a feast or a famine, Lindommer, not just year to year but across positions. We presently have a famine in the No 10 spot and that looks like continuing in to the RWC. The backrow has been in famine for some time, but now has the appearance of being a feast for the selectors come RWC. Hooker is another where the future looks healthier than the present, while props and locks are currently very healthy.

On the No 9s, I agree with you about Gordon taking the Tahs' spot from Phipps, though I think he's already the better player. And in contrast to so many young stars who fail to kick on, I think Sorovi, whom I never rated at U20s level, is a real star in the making. I wouldn't be surprised if he does make the RWC squad if he continues his present development.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
my early prediction
h TPN, Uelese, BPA
p Kepu, Thor, AAA, Sio, Slipper
l Arnold, Coleman, Rodda, Tui
br Timu, Samu, Naisarani, Poey, Hooper
hb Genia, Phipps, Powell
fh Foley, Stewart
c Beale, Kerevi, Rona, Kuridrani
b3 Folau, DHP, Hodge, Marika, Maddocks

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And in contrast to so many young stars who fail to kick on, I think Sorovi, whom I never rated at U20s level, is a real star in the making. I wouldn't be surprised if he does make the RWC squad if he continues his present development.

If I was in the Wallaby or Reds coaching staff I would tell Sorovi to just spend his whole offseason practicing passing as Tupou did with his scrummaging.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I want to see all potential 9s put through a heavy kicking school by Mick the kick all summer, both box kicks and clearances - faster execution and accuracy

I don't see the point of passing back 10-15 metres for a 40m clearance where no one can chase because the majority are in front of the kicker. Let the 9 do some so we get a good chase line

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I want to see all potential 9s put through a heavy kicking school by Mick the kick all summer, both box kicks and clearances - faster execution and accuracy

I don't see the point of passing back 10-15 metres for a 40m clearance where no one can chase because the majority are in front of the kicker. Let the 9 do some so we get a good chase line

It's interesting how many teams are using the (good) box-type kick for exits now. If they kick from 2m in the 22 and it goes 20-25m only, it's near halfway. Plus, as you say, chasing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
my early prediction
h TPN, Uelese, BPA
p Kepu, Thor, AAA, Sio, Slipper
l Arnold, Coleman, Rodda, Tui
br Timu, Samu, Naisarani, Poey, Hooper
hb Genia, Phipps, Powell
fh Foley, Stewart
c Beale, Kerevi, Rona, Kuridrani
b3 Folau, DHP, Hodge, Marika, Maddocks

I like that squad AD. Exceptions are that I would have Gordon or maybe Sorovi in place of Phipps, and I'd include Banks somewhere.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I agree FP; develop another Nic White to gain upwards of 40m from the base of the ruck. Another innovation I'd like to see is more use of a long territory finding kick when awarded a short arm in or near our own 22m line. The whole side should be onside and can put in a fast, co-ordinated chase to trap the opposition well in their own half. Better than making 15m by kicking for touch and handing over possession at the resulting lineout.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon you could lock the following players in if they're healthy:

Props: Kepu, Tupou, Sio, Ala'alatoa, Robertson. I can't see Slipper making it back. He might struggle to be playing in Australia next year. I can't see anyone else challenging them at this point.
Hookers: TPN
Locks: Coleman, Simmons
Backrow: Hooper, Pocock
Halfbacks: Genia, Phipps
Fly half: Foley
Centres: Beale, Kerevi
Back three: Folau, Koroibete, DHP, Hodge

That's 19 players who I think are integral members of this squad and will be there if they're fit.

Uelese, BPA, Latu and Fainga'a won't all go and a lot will depend on how BPA and Latu go this series. There's a potential Fainga'a doesn't get a look in with TPN coming back. Uelese will be less experienced than the other guys when he returns from his ACL reco next year and will have to do well to push himself back in. I don't see that being an easy ride.

Rodda, Arnold and Tui probably won't all go.

In the backrow, McMahon, Dempsey, Tui, Samu, Timu, Hanigan, Naisarani won't all make it. I think McMahon is almost a certainty if he is back in the country and healthy.

Powell is almost a certainty to be the third halfback but that could be an area Cheika takes a punt (like he did with only two hookers last time).

Kuridrani would almost be a certainty based on his experience and reliability.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If I recall correctly, Cheika only took two halves and two hookers, but virtually as soon as he got through the match in which he played the entire second string side (USA I think) a couple of players were jettisoned for injury and an extra half and hooker joined the squad. Not saying the injuries were contrived - but at the very least I think Cheika gambled that an injury or two was likely and he could manage the squad work load in this manner.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If I recall correctly, Cheika only took two halves and two hookers, but virtually as soon as he got through the match in which he played the entire second string side (USA I think) a couple of players were jettisoned for injury and an extra half and hooker joined the squad. Not saying the injuries were contrived - but at the very least I think Cheika gambled that an injury or two was likely and he could manage the squad work load in this manner.

I'd thought we only went with two hookers but we only had two halfbacks for the entire tournament.

Carter and Hanson replaced Skelton and Palu after we played Uruguay.

Reactions: TSR

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I reckon you could lock the following players in if they're healthy:

Props: Kepu, Tupou, Sio, Ala'alatoa, Robertson. I can't see Slipper making it back. He might struggle to be playing in Australia next year. I can't see anyone else challenging them at this point.
Hookers: TPN
Locks: Coleman, Simmons
Backrow: Hooper, Pocock
Halfbacks: Genia, Phipps
Fly half: Foley
Centres: Beale, Kerevi
Back three: Folau, Koroibete, DHP, Hodge

That's 19 players who I think are integral members of this squad and will be there if they're fit.

Uelese, BPA, Latu and Fainga'a won't all go and a lot will depend on how BPA and Latu go this series. There's a potential Fainga'a doesn't get a look in with TPN coming back. Uelese will be less experienced than the other guys when he returns from his ACL reco next year and will have to do well to push himself back in. I don't see that being an easy ride.

Rodda, Arnold and Tui probably won't all go.

In the backrow, McMahon, Dempsey, Tui, Samu, Timu, Hanigan, Naisarani won't all make it. I think McMahon is almost a certainty if he is back in the country and healthy.

Powell is almost a certainty to be the third halfback but that could be an area Cheika takes a punt (like he did with only two hookers last time).

Kuridrani would almost be a certainty based on his experience and reliability.

I have nothing against Simmons but cannot understand how he could be 1/2 confirmed locks. Not only is he not currently a first choice, but even last year before Rodda got injured Cheika showed a preference towards him. I actually believe he’s fighting it out with Arnold for the 4th lock spot at wc time. Reasoning behind this is Lukhan Tui offers greater versatility to the squad, plus will most likely be first choice qld lock with Rodda by this stage next year with Douglas gone.

Phipps is another struggling to make the plane.

Happy for both to make it, but wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.