• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm going to go selfish. I get tired of posted what I THINK would get picked. I like players so I'm going to throw them in haha. Whether or not they would be great - I just like to see these players in action at their best. I think their best is the best, just sometimes not consistent. Eg Higs. He does cooler stuff and is a great link/lineout man, better then any other 6 WHEN he is on. A new addition is maddocks, I think he is thriving with the Quade - be in the right place and I'll get you the ball so you can finish

1. Sio 2. TPN 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Rodda 5. Coleman
6. Higs 8. Naisarani 7. Pocock
9. Genia 10. Quade 11. Maddocks 12. To'omua 13. Kerevi 14. Folau 15. Beale
16. Uelese 17. Kepu 18. Thor 19. Arnold 20. Lukhan 21. Hoops 22. Gordon 23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some more stats for you. Let's take a look at tackle efficiency by position (so only including games in each specific position rather than a players entire stats - also limiting it to at least two games in that position).

Going purely on tackle success percentage, here's our 'best' and 'worst' tackling team after Round 4.

Tacklers.JPG

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
When you've made 25% more tackles than anyone else, it's a tough gig to be put in the 'worst tacklers' category. And how can a prop only make 4 tackles in two games?
I guess it demonstrates one stat on its' own is pretty meaningless.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Some more stats for you. Let's take a look at tackle efficiency by position (so only including games in each specific position rather than a players entire stats - also limiting it to at least two games in that position).

Going purely on tackle success percentage, here's our 'best' and 'worst' tackling team after Round 4.

View attachment 10467

Judging someone by tackle efficiency stats is pretty lazy, defensive structures and tactics can skew these greatly

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

View attachment 10467
I see you put constraints on, but 7,9 or 10 tackles in two games with 100% success rate is not really impressive

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Those stats painted a few good general trends. Namely, second and back rowers are all tackling at very high success rates and getting through a lot of work, Meakes has been a real brick wall at 12, and the success rate of our 13s isn't that high across the board (probably owing to the toughness of the position).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting that both Hunt & Petaia - two very strong defenders (albeit very different styles) are in the lowest teams.

Although I understand Hunt - he often runs up and tries for a dominant tackle with variable results (although even when he misses he often puts the attacker off his line). The one for Petaia is a bit surprising - but two of his misses came when he got left with too much to do in the first game from memory.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting that both Hunt & Petaia - two very strong defenders (albeit very different styles) are in the lowest teams.

Although I understand Hunt - he often runs up and tries for a dominant tackle with variable results (although even when he misses he often puts the attacker off his line). The one for Petaia is a bit surprising - but two of his misses came when he got left with too much to do in the first game from memory.
Even with a fit Petaia i still think TK nails the 13 spot on defence. The team has plenty of great runners, we need his defence.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I wouldn’t judge Petaia on one and a bit games. You often get faced with overlaps that are nigh on impossible to stop defending at 13 or on the edges because the team’s on the ropes. These missed tackles are disproportionately affecting his stats with so few matches. His missed tackle count was < 1 per game last year in his 9 matches or however many it was.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I didn’t judge anyone.

I gave a preamble defining constraints.

We all know the limitations of stats.

Get off your high horse.

High horse or no, the comment was valid. And your stats are interesting, Reg.

Amazed that Meakes tackle stats stand better than Stewart. Hooper is a machine though presenting the stats this way doesn’t show the high attempted tackle count players.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn’t judge Petaia on one and a bit games. You often get faced with overlaps that are nigh on impossible to stop defending at 13 or on the edges because the team’s on the ropes. These missed tackles are disproportionately affecting his stats with so few matches. His missed tackle count was < 1 per game last year in his 9 matches or however many it was.
Yeah. Agreed. To be honest it was just a bit of a bored comment. I don’t have any concerns around those two.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
You right sunshine? Tough day?
Strange reply :S

He posted stats (which simply can't be judged as they are just numbers).

It's the immediate defensive posts afterwards that are just lol.

It's not like anyone is talking about most international yellow cards or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.