• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Watching the Tahs on the weekend - there was a very familiar issue that came up which reminded me of the last few years at Wallaby level.

When the player at around outside centre is tackled, not enough people turn out to secure the ball. Even the half is late getting there.

It must be a structural issue with the 1-3-3-1 setup the Tahs and Wobs use. The 1 on the left and some backs join, but the left pod doesn't and waits for the next phase, meanwhile the opposition defenders pile in and disrupt.

The coaches must be across this. Time to fix it.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s cause the Tahs play so deep and at the back. Almost the entire team is in front of the 13 when he gets the ball. If you’re not going to win the contact or get around the outside shoulder of your defender, you’re basically isolated, if your support gets there it often lacks clean out power because they are coming from in front without a run into the gate.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It'll be interesting to see if Cheika uses the RC to experiment the way he did last time. I think Foley is the most likely 10, so it would be good to see Quade start there against South Africa to generate some competition.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how much variation there is in those first two games (South Africa in South Africa then Argentina in Brisbane). With only five games to play you wouldn't think there'd be a huge amount of change from one game to the next. We need to go into the first test of the year with a fair idea of what our planned best 23 is for the RWC and tinker with it as we go to try and refine it.

I really can't see there being outright trials for positions like suggested with Cooper and Foley above. It's too late for that.

Hookerbytrade

Stan Wickham (3)
I think considering the way the form in the Super Rugby packs are at the minute, it would be safe to say a starting 8 would look like this:

Slipper
Fainga'a
AAA
Rodda
Arnold
Jones
Hooper
Naisarani

Slipper - Sio is a dynamic, hard running player who packs a punch in the defensive line as well, give him 20 to let loose i think suits his game better.
Hooper - If you can't guarantee 110% that Pocock can play 80 and be fine i can't see the logic in trying to get him there. Give Hooper 50 - maybe 60 at best to have a crack and Dave can be given 20 - 30 to give the wallabies an opportunity to dictate the game with his breakdown work.

Keen to see what the rest of you think!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think considering the way the form in the Super Rugby packs are at the minute, it would be safe to say a starting 8 would look like this:

Slipper
Fainga'a
AAA
Rodda
Arnold
Jones
Hooper
Naisarani

Slipper - Sio is a dynamic, hard running player who packs a punch in the defensive line as well, give him 20 to let loose i think suits his game better.
Hooper - If you can't guarantee 110% that Pocock can play 80 and be fine i can't see the logic in trying to get him there. Give Hooper 50 - maybe 60 at best to have a crack and Dave can be given 20 - 30 to give the wallabies an opportunity to dictate the game with his breakdown work.

Keen to see what the rest of you think!!

agree. That would be my 8. Welcome to GAGR

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I notice the Australian Super teams are ranked 2-5 for % of lineouts won on own throw. Hopefully, if we have Jones and Naisarani at 6 and 8 this translates into Wallaby form.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think incumbency will play a lot into selections.

For that reason I don't think we'll see much variation on the teams from last year. I expect Coleman & Foley to be starting and Jones to have made his run too late, I reckon LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Dempsey or Hanigan will play before Jones. This certainly isn't the team I'd pick, but I think it's Cheika's.

1. Sio
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. Coleman
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. TK
14. Maddocks
15. DHP
Bench
16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Pocock
21. Dempsey/Hanigan
22. Phipps
23. Beale

Fully expect Beale to be supersub. Also carry two bench backrowers with the intention of running Isi ragged for 50 minutes and whoever starts at 6. Pooper to finish off the match.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
Jones has been in much better form than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) save for one or two matches, but i generally agree. Cheika loves LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and he's got his Wallaby caps under Cheika.

However, if Jones doesn't even make the bench it would be criminal. Dempsey and Hanigan have had no where near as much impact as Jones.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

For that reason I don't think we'll see much variation on the teams from last year. I expect Coleman & Foley to be starting and Jones to have made his run too late, I reckon LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Dempsey or Hanigan will play before Jones. This certainly isn't the team I'd pick, but I think it's Cheika's.

1. Sio
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. Coleman
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. TK
14. Maddocks
15. DHP
Bench
16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Pocock
21. Dempsey/Hanigan
22. Phipps
23. Beale

Fully expect Beale to be supersub. Also carry two bench backrowers with the intention of running Isi ragged for 50 minutes and whoever starts at 6. Pooper to finish off the match.

This is exactly what I expect from Cheika, except maybe finding room for Naivalu somewhere in the 23 (possibly at the expense of Simmons if you have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Hanigan to cover lock).

He has barely picked Arnold, so as much as I would like him in there, he's unlikely to be.

I know he'd like to find room for Robertson somewhere too if he could, possibly ahead of Slipper, depending on match fitness.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Shouldnt you be selecting To'omua at 10 then, didn't he finish the year there. We don't really know what will happen yet but I suspect that the RC will be used to nail down the squad and positions. Probably the only known things is Hooper will be 7 and the Front Row will be Sio FF (Folau Fainga'a) AAA.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would be betting that Jones and Naisarani will start the first test of the year. When talking about incumbency you've got to remember that neither were available for selection last year.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
no time for experimenting. Need to build cohesion for that first RWC game.

I think it is absolutely the time to experiment, what we've done in the past 3 years has not exactly been working out for us.

I'm also not sure using the same ingredients will bake us a better cake either.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have a good feeling about the Reds locks and loosies (or backrow).

Seems strange eh? Well I believe they are in the same league the Lions found themselves before they started performing. There have been Kwaggas and Whiteleys in the meantime. All starts with the tight 5 which I believe is a catapult for the yet unknown loose forwards in the Reds squad. When the tight V does well the loosies do much better than previously given credit for.

You read it here first. Watch this space.

BrutalTruth

Bob McCowan (2)
Everyone posts some cracking sides which really makes me doubt / change my own selections. Putting this side up for a bit of fun. I'm a big fan of combinations and have tried to implement a few key ones. I really think if you have Kerevi and TK in the centres Foley isn't your best 10.

If you have To'omua at 12, I'd put Foley at 10. I usually dislike Quade but for some reason I feel like he is ready.

1. Sio
2. Uelese (He really impressed me last weekend)
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. Coleman
6. Hooper
7. Pocock
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete (wish this was folau for the cross kicks)
12. Kerevi
13. TK
14. Maddocks
15. Beale
Bench
16. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
17. Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Phillip
20. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Samu
21. White (a big boot coming on in the last 20 minutes)
22. To'omua (I'd love to start him for his hard defence, flow in attack and lack of errors, hopefully the rebels give him some more game time)
23. Petaia (Utility can play 11-15)

I've tried to put a 'finishers' bench. I would be stoked seeing any of these guys running on fresh in the last 20-30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.