• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
11. Koroibete (wish this was folau for the cross kicks)

Maddocks can and will fill this role well I think. I'm not suggesting he's better under the highball than Izzy, no one is, but Jack is pretty amazing. Great background in cricket and he's taller than Izzy. He's already produced some ripping catches. I see a lot of similarities between Maddocks and Jordie Barrett.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quick stats.......

For the second year in a row Arnold is currently the leading lineout winner............

And Rodda tops the comp for lineout steals.

If you add in Jones (4th in lineout steals) and Naisarani into the mix, there really shouldn't be any excuse for the Wallabies lineout to be shit again.

For all the talk of incumbency it should be remembered that we have a new selection panel this year, although I would still expect that a lot of those incumbent players will retain their spots.

But it's really hard to go past a Rodda/Arnold second row based on their form the last two years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Currently Arnold is also in a much better position than last year. Last year he would have had a really strong chance to start against Ireland and then missed the last couple of games of Super Rugby leading into the series and the first test through suspension. It was always going to be harder to force his way in after that.

Slipper was also unavailable last year.

A bunch of the players that look likely to come into the best 23 simply weren't available last year so it's probably unfair to say that they won't make it because Cheika prefers other players.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Our lock combination changed almost as much as our inside backs last year, so it wouldn't be fair to say there were any particular "favourites".............

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Last year our locks played the following tests:

Adam Coleman - 11 tests (10 starting)
Rory Arnold - 4 tests (2 starting)
Izack Rodda - 13 tests (all starting)
Rob Simmons - 12 tests (1 starting)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto - 7 tests (5 starting but all tests in the backrow)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cheika would be crazy to start anyone but Arnold and Rodda. It'd be great to see Phillip on the bench as he is better than Simmons and Coleman (on form), but i can't see it happening.

I still maintain Coleman should be out of the team entirely for overseeing the worst lineout in recent history. He's also compounded that with a lack of appearances and indifferent form this year.

Hookerbytrade

Stan Wickham (3)
The lineout has to be spot on, from day dot of the RC right through the WC, you can't have it functioning poorly considering the amount of kicking in World Rugby at the minute and if done well, as we see in the Reds through Rodda, how well a defensive lineout can be used as a weapon. The All Blacks have done this for the past 5 years or more w Read and Whitelock stealing opposition B

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The lineout has to be spot on, from day dot of the RC right through the WC, you can't have it functioning poorly considering the amount of kicking in World Rugby at the minute and if done well, as we see in the Reds through Rodda, how well a defensive lineout can be used as a weapon. The All Blacks have done this for the past 5 years or more w Read and Whitelock stealing opposition B
Retallick you mean? He was one that fucked us up last year. One of the most complete performances from a lock i have ever seen.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
This will change, as there is more Super Rugby to play, but at this stage for mine:
1. Slipper 2. Faainga 3. AAA 4. Arnold 5. Rodda 6. Jones 7. Hooper 8. Naisarani 9. Genia 10. Cooper 11. Naivalu 12. Kerevi 13. Kuridrani 14. Maddocks 15. DHP Res: Mafi, Sio, Tupou, Coleman, Pocock (if not fit Samu), Phipps, To'omua, Beale

Controversial choices: For mine Slipper is the better man against a fresh scrum, and Sio's mobility adds more when bodies are getting tired, although this choice doesn't matter to me a lot.
After FF (Folau Fainga'a), I think Mafi has been the best performed 2, Uelese may change my mind, but at this stage I need to see more of him. We know what Coleman can do, I think his upside is better than others.
Pocock needs to preserved for the whole tournament, that means not starting him. He can also comfortably replace anyone in the backrow.
Phipps, despite all his haters, still can lift a team like no-one else for the last 20 minutes.
We don't have a test standard 10, Cooper has the best upside, but fills me with trepidation
Koriebeti just isn't a consistent enough performer
To'omua offers great cover across a number of positions, Beale adds real spark for the last 20.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Quick stats...

For the second year in a row Arnold is currently the leading lineout winner....

And Rodda tops the comp for lineout steals.

If you add in Jones (4th in lineout steals) and Naisarani into the mix, there really shouldn't be any excuse for the Wallabies lineout to be shit again.

For all the talk of incumbency it should be remembered that we have a new selection panel this year, although I would still expect that a lot of those incumbent players will retain their spots.

But it's really hard to go past a Rodda/Arnold second row based on their form the last two years.

What does form have to do with anything?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
On paper there is clearly the cattle to do well this year. The question is the game plan and defensive formations. If that goes right then the Wallabies are in with a good shout with going deep into the RWC. Get the strategy wrong and they don't make it out of their group. With the experience that will be in the squad there really won't be any excuse.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
A line out with Rodda, Jones and Arnold would go close to worlds best defensive line out. Could really change the way teams play against the wallabies. Would open space down the middle of the park with teams choosing to cover the wide spaces on kick defense, also teams wingers hanging deeper to prevent the ball going to touch, could open space outwide for our wingers.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A line out with Rodda, Jones and Arnold would go close to worlds best defensive line out. Could really change the way teams play against the wallabies. Would open space down the middle of the park with teams choosing to cover the wide spaces on kick defense, also teams wingers hanging deeper to prevent the ball going to touch, could open space outwide for our wingers.
It's almost like being able to do the basics well is an advantage.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't remember who made this point a few months ago, but they declared that the every world cup winning team has had the best lock partnership. We don't know much about how Arnold and Rodda play together, but there's no doubt in my mind that we're talking about two guys in the top five southern hemisphere locks on form.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So, we have Pocock retiring from Aus Rugby a bit after George Smith completely retired. Gill is still plying his trade elsewhere as is McMahon. Australia is incredibly blessed with flankers. Which makes it even more impressive that this year Hooper will likely get his 100th cap for Australia, which will be the fastest any player has done it from any country. Fkn amazing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree RC. Just a pity that Coleman's form has dropped off. If he doesn't improve in the next 3 super games, I would like to see Matt Philip come in for his aggressive play.

Nearly everyone here is now talking the same pack, with Slipper/Sio the main point of contention. So, Slipper/Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Rodda, Jones, Hooper, Naisarani is the favoured forward pack. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is a contender for the 6 spot but would possibly be better suited on the bench to cover both 6 and lock. Poey for Hooper is the other possible change if he can prove his fitness and form beforehand. If Poey isn't available, then Pete Samu is the next best bench option to cover 6, 7 and 8. At the moment, he is the best ball carrier in contact in any Aussie side.

Th backs are not so clear and will depend largely on the Cheika game plan. WG has a mortgage on the 9 spot despite a recent drop in form. Who is the best No 10 to partner Will and who will get the likely centres combination of Kerevi and Kuridrani firing best? My preference at the moment is Cooper but I would also consider Matt To'omua. The wings are a conundrum with Koroibete just coming into some form, Naivalu so-so, and Maddocks off the boil. I think the opportunity should be taken to see how Banks would fill the 11 spot with Koroibete proba bly retaining the 14 and DHP almost certain as the 15.

There you have it, subject to form and injuries in the next three weeks.

Sio/Slipper
Fainga'a
Ala'alatoa
Arnold
Rodda
Jones
Hooper
Naisarani
Genia
Cooper
Banks
Kerevi
Kuridrani
Koroibete
DHP

Mafi (or Uelese if he proves his fitness)
Slipper/Sio
Tupou
Salakai-Loto
Pocock/Samu
Powell
To'omua
Hodge

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nice team but i’d still have Beale in the team, he’s been very good the past month. His flexibility is invaluable to the team as well. Ask any opposition fan if they’d like to play Aus with or without Beale and they’d take without 99% of the time.

Whites return clearly indicates to me he’s going to be on the plane and I’d doubt they’d do that to be 3rd choice. He will be our reserve no.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.