• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
13 x Brumbies
11 x Reds
11 x Waratahs
9 x Rebels

Does this mean Rebels performed above expectations this 2020?

Interesting Brumbies have the most players in the top 44 but probably will have the least in the 23.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
From Rennie's preliminary trainings with just the 'Tahs and the Force, Dempsey and all the Force boys (Stander, Godwin, Kaitu'u) were cut in this one.

I think a lock and Kerevi will be the 2 OS players.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also not according to To'omua himself, he says he prefers flyhalf. But I've put him starting for the first test at 12 anyway.

Good to know that Rennie doesn't give a fuck for incumbency and has his eyes firmly planted on RWC23.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought Hanigan had his best season since 2017, and not at all surprised he made the wider squad..........

But this level of rugby is his ceiling.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Ned’s has a lot of attributes to be very good test 6. What he has lacked is impact in contact and some accuracy - but he seems to be improving in that aspect. At 25 he should be coming into his peak. I wouldn’t have him in my test 23, but I could see how Rennie would rate him. Swinton is a different player, but I can see the value in him too. I feel sorry for Nasirani - but I feel a bit like, because he is very good in certain aspects of his game, he has been allowed to come through the system without developing other areas in which he is limited.

I look at that squad and see that we can pick a team with both the best scrum, lineout and kick off options we’ve had in years - although the caveat there is we have to get the throwing right. That in itself gives me a sense of optimism.

Our backline is much more a work-in-progress IMO and I’m looking forward to seeing how a few guys grab the opportunity. There are some real potential there. From guys like McDermott, Lolesio, Harrison & Ramm who will be keen to show they are the real deal, Daugunu & Simone who have had a couple of years and seen to be blossoming this year and seasoned guys like White, JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua and DHP who will want to show they are still number 1 in their spot.

Feel for Isi - but otherwise the squad seem pretty on the money.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
ANGUS BELL????? Someone mentioned Swinton was a work experience kid then what is Bell, bring your son to work day? How can someone not in Waratahs run on team get in over proven players like Hoopert, Smith and Orr? I though the days of the Sydney media picking the team was over. And Pone? Who cares how big he is - his main job is to hold the scrum up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
ANGUS BELL????? Someone mentioned Swinton was a work experience kid then what is Bell, bring your son to work day? How can someone not in Waratahs run on team get in over proven players like Hoopert, Smith and Orr? I though the days of the Sydney media picking the team was over. And Pone? Who cares how big he is - his main job is to hold the scrum up.
You had a fair point until you suggested Hoopert or Smith. I don't think they are test players either (is Smith even eligible?) Orr maybe.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
You had a fair point until you suggested Hoopert or Smith. I don't think they are test players either (is Smith even eligible?) Orr maybe.

I believe both Smiths are now eligible, certainly JP, and Orr has been great. I named Hoopert because he's a run-on in the best performing scrum, whereas Bell can't even make the weakest pack's starting side.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pone surprises me a bit, but his scrumming is fine from what I’ve seen. It’s his fitness I have concerns over.

Orr has made something of a late charge, but was never in the frame prior to that. Hoopert has been mostly injured and not in good enough form, and the time has passed for Smith I’d say.

We have some really good props at the moment, but the depth isn’t fantastic. Bell & Pone are probably a bit lucky/early but they clearly have a much higher ceiling than the other 3 IMO.

Edit: if you assume at least 5 of the other props are in front of them, your effectively looking at who our 6-8 best props are. With limits on bringing other players into the squad there is always a chance 1 or both might be needed for tests, but it’s a pretty low chance.