• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Laumape is only 1.77 m
I know, I'm not referring to him.

And, similar to ALB, the 'Canes list Laumape as 171cm so I'm not sure there's much point in repeated back and forth over a few kg/cm when all the numbers we have access to are error prone.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Getting a midfield combination that compliments each other and works well together is a lot more useful than just worrying about size.

Years ago at the start of Nonu's career the Umaga-Nonu 12-13 combination never really worked that well. Last year the ABs had 4 handy midfielders in their RWC squad with plenty of size but couldn't find a combination that worked well together between SBW, Crotty, ALB and Goodhue.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I know, I'm not referring to him.

And, similar to ALB, the 'Canes list Laumape as 171cm so I'm not sure there's much point in repeated back and forth over a few kg/cm when all the numbers we have access to are error prone.

If you looked at the average weights of centres/backs in general of NZ teams compared to Australia, I would guess it would be significantly higher. I would speculate because many of NZ's top athletes go through the rugby pathways at school, whereas in Australia a lot of your bigger bodies and freak athletes that are notable (and gain the most attention from scouts) for their impressive physiques end up being snapped-up by League and other sports. Even the rise in popularity of Basketball among the youth here in NZ I think could be responsible for the lack of tall-timber coming through the U-20 pathways in more recent times.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
if Rennie wants to play a fast paced game (I saw some comments by Lolesio I think mention this) then to me that leads to moving away from Powell. I just don't see him suited to playing an up tempo style - long term McDermott seems far better suited to such a role.

Probably puts him ahead of White though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If you looked at the average weights of centres/backs in general of NZ teams compared to Australia, I would guess it would be significantly higher. I would speculate because many of NZ's top athletes go through the rugby pathways at school, whereas in Australia a lot of your bigger bodies and freak athletes that are notable (and gain the most attention from scouts) for their impressive physiques end up being snapped-up by League and other sports. Even the rise in popularity of Basketball among the youth here in NZ I think could be responsible for the lack of tall-timber coming through the U-20 pathways in more recent times.

Time to move this stuff to the game thread lads

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On Thursday, Rennie said the decision to reappoint Hooper was an easy one given his consistency throughout 2020.
"I've been really impressed with Hoops," Rennie said.
"We've spoken a lot over the past nine months and it's highlighted his passion and commitment.
"He's a good man with an outstanding work ethic and he's a great role model for our young men coming through.
"He's keen to lead, and is highly respected by the Wallaby family. In the end his appointment was a straight forward decision."

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hooper been named as captain is the most obvious decision this year for the Wallabies.

The half back spot is out of White and McDermott with White been the favorite. Powell won’t come into calculations unless there is injuries.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
That article said that Valetini and Samu are favorites to partner Hooper in the backrow. I just can't see Valetini being there just yet, especially since he was on the bench for the Super Au final.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really don't see Liam Wright being big enough for Test rugby at 6 and given Hooper is playing 80 mins I don't see a spot for him on the bench either. Same for McReight. You could get away with Pocock and Hooper since Pocock was so physical.

That leaves Swinton, Wilson, Samu and Valetini (Hanigan maybe?)

I think it'll be 6. Wilson 7. Hooper 8. Samu 20. Valetini

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Qwerty, thats what id pick. Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to start in the row and i guess someone like Simmons or Hanigan on the bench.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Really enjoy his views on the talent coming through the 20s and grassroots, he just gets a bit hyperbolic around Wallaby selection.