• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty encouraging the talk from the camp was Rennie is doing a lot of addressing the question "How do other teams want to play us/stop us?"

I doubt Cheika ever thought about that and it showed - often.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Harry Wilson does not play tight. He is rather inept and ineffective at the breakdown and tends to avoid it. When he plays in the backrow the team needs the other two backrowers to play tight. It worked really well this year with McReight and Wright in the Reds. But I have seen Wilson and his type of play exposed in previous years when there is only one backrower working “tight”.

I don’t think Wilson’s style of play compliments Hooper, so would surprise me if both were in the starting side.
Agree these have been Harry’s issues in the past , I’ve certainly seen evidence of it and probably like you, have been watching him since his schoolboy days.

He often runs support to hit the gap , which is great if you pass it to him, but puts him in a shit position for the clean-out if you don’t. Once had a bit too much of a liking for aiming up to run in the wider channels, which meant his breakdown work rate looked poor for a backrower .

Having said all that , think he has improved these aspects of his game this season. Is playing tighter than in the past , still runs great lines , but has improved his work at the breakdown and in defence.

Think he is a talented enough player to adapt to whatever his coach wants of him. That’s probably a positive point of difference currently.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I would think a large part of why Wilson isn't as involved in the ruck as he might otherwise be is he's making a lot of tackles (more recently) and a lot of runs (more generally), but also for the Reds Wright and McReight are so deadly over the ball, having said that he's gotten a few pilfers because those two attract so much attention. But yes -- obviously he prefers the Higgers-esqu support line rather than clean out, but that's what you get with a player who's so devastating running the ball.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
I know this isn’t going to happen but I feel the most balanced backrow (especially if Arnold is back) would be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6, with either Samu or Wilson at 8. I’m really not sure why LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has been written off at 6, especially when we have 2 smaller faster 8’s capable of playing out wide. I mean Samu plays there exclusively for the Brumbies and is going to be better than any 6 we have at it.

I see no reason why LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) can’t play the exact same as he is in the 2row at 6. In fact he had outstanding back to back games at 6 and 2nd row earlier this year. He still often pops up out wide. He is the only (and best) big bodied, core lineout option capable of playing at 6. I’m happy with him in either position but can’t help but feel the balance would be much better with him at 6.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Love LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 as a concept but concerned about it in reality.

I think we have other options to trial before we go to him. I’m also hesitant to move him from lock where he’s been so good this year.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
That article said that Valetini and Samu are favorites to partner Hooper in the backrow. I just can't see Valetini being there just yet, especially since he was on the bench for the Super Au final.
Yeah, I think that was just Doran’s opinion.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Any reason why he wouldn’t play exactly as he is currently? I think the only thing that changes with the position is more energy from less scrum involvement and playing out wide in phase play. I think he’s fine at that but I’m suggesting he plays exactly as he is off phase play currently and Samu or Wilson plays wider.

Again would only consider it if Arnold is available. Though I’d be very interested in seeing how Hosea goes with some time in the row.

Edit: not suggesting it will happen but 4. Arnold 5. Philip 6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 7. Hooper 8. Samu looks very balanced to me.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
For mine the issue with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is that he's not quick enough to play 6 and we've seen him out run in open play multiple times at test level. He's also good at lock, which is a position we're a bit thin. I think he's a potentially good to excellent test lock and that's where he should play.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
For mine the issue with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is that he's not quick enough to play 6 and we've seen him out run in open play multiple times at test level. He's also good at lock, which is a position we're a bit thin. I think he's a potentially good to excellent test lock and that's where he should play.

I think he is fast enough but regardless I’m suggesting he plays tight at 6 and only if they bring back other 2nd rows.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think he is fast enough but regardless I’m suggesting he plays tight at 6 and only if they bring back other 2nd rows.
There are a few senior people in Australian Rugby who agree with your view of Lukhan. I'm not opposed to him him being trialled there long-term but it just seems less risky to play him in the row where he's been performing so well for the upcoming matches in NZ.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
There are a few senior people in Australian Rugby who agree with your view of Lukhan. I'm not opposed to him him being trialled there long-term but it just seems less risky to play him in the row where he's been performing so well for the upcoming matches in NZ.

He is a fantastic player either way and I doubt he’ll be playing 6 this year since he’s been selected as a 2nd row. Still I would love to see that back 5 combo I listed. A boy can dream.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
right i'll take a stab in the dark and say you didnt know someone killed themself live on tiktok last week

otherwise super shit joke...
No, I was not aware of that. Apologies for the error. It was just a joke following the post suggesting they'd kill themselves in RA headquarters, which was obviously a joke itself. I'll delete it.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
If Rodda was brought back to start would anyone be tempted to select LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 6, Hooper 7, Wilson 8?

It could improve the balance of the back-row, you have two guys either side of mini-Hooper who are above 110kg.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Explain to me the difference between 6 and 8 besides where they pack in a scrum.

And yes I’m completely aware generally the two positions operate loose or tight but that’s not specifically set for 6 or 8.

He also played 6 in the u20s.

We'll see.