• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Definitely can't play B teams. We'll need to work through a few changes each test though to keep players as fresh as possible and ensure we don't get to the end of the tournament and have to play a B team because they're the only players still standing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Argies have basically zero pre-season, SA have much less too and both will be sending a under maned squads.

Sure, but we also want to beat them.

You're setting these guys up for failure if you basically send out a scratch XV of debutants and other players who haven't played a match yet.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
On LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)... he may have pretty good linear top end speed for a guy his size however it takes him a bit to get there and more importantly he lacks the agility to provide what is required from a 6 at that level. He was found out quite badly in both those aspects when playing 6 for Aus last year. If he is played there we are essentially playing 3 locks and 2 back rowers. It really doesn't work unless they are playing 10 man rugby and even then it would be a debatable selection. He has been our best lock this year so let's just keep him there. Plenty of talent in the backrow in any case.

On a side note for anyone who has watched more of Phillip than I have what are your thoughts on his mobility? He strikes me as a big mug who is also quite mobile, explosive and athletic.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
As to Philip, my take that he is strong, plenty of aggression but it seems to be controlled, has a very high work rate, hits good and hard both in defence and attack, and is effective in the line-out and scrum. I don't believe he is much of a ball player, and doesn't seem to be particularly quick.
I think he and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are clearly our best two locks.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He doesn't really make line breaks or put anyone into holes but every time he hits into contact he makes a few metres. Consistently getting over the advantage line.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Both Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will be involved in the 23 for the NZ tests. They will be basically both fighting it out to join the overseas lock option for the RC. If Philip played for the Reds or Tahs people would be calling him the best lock in the country, which isn’t the strongest competition currently.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Both Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will be involved in the 23 for the NZ tests. They will be basically both fighting it out to join the overseas lock option for the RC. If Philip played for the Reds or Tahs people would be calling him the best lock in the country, which isn’t the strongest competition currently.
I reckon Philip is a lock (hah) regardless of who we bring back. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Skelton and Arnold are all the 'enforcer' types who don't call. Which is why i reckon only 1 lock will be called back.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Surprising to me how many diehard rugby fans on this site know so little about players from teams they don't support. A lot of questions being asked about Matt Philip, for example. He really didn't come down in the last shower of rain. Has been a consistent starter and one of the stronger players with the Rebels for a couple of years, and before that he had some really good games with the Force.

I recall one game between the Rebels and Tahs where he and Jed Holloway went hammer and tong against each other all game. It was a toss up which one was awarded MOTM, but it did go to Philip as I recall by a slender margin. Best game Holloway played for quite some time.

In his time at the Force, I was highlighting his capabilities here and suggesting he would have been worth a trial at 6 for the Wallabiues (at a time when the Wallabies were very short on 6s and 8s). Braveheart also saw the talent in Philip at the time, but very few others apparently did.

Philip has been a quality player for a number of years. He was ignored for higher honours in a period we were deficient in good strong, physical locks. He is playing even better now, and he will make his presence known to the opposition whomever it might be.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I
Surprising to me how many diehard rugby fans on this site know so little about players from teams they don't support. A lot of questions being asked about Matt Philip, for example. He really didn't come down in the last shower of rain. Has been a consistent starter and one of the stronger players with the Rebels for a couple of years, and before that he had some really good games with the Force.

In his time at the Force, I was highlighting his capabilities here and suggesting he would have been worth a trial at 6 for the Wallabiues (at a time when the Wallabies were very short on 6s and 8s). Braveheart also saw the talent in Philip at the time, but very few others apparently did.

Mmmm. Doesn't play for the Ponies. Must check my records.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
He was ignored for higher honours in a period we were deficient in good strong, physical locks. He is playing even better now, and he will make his presence known to the opposition whomever it might be.

There's a bit of history being re-written here BR. When Phillip was stringing some quality back to back matches together for the Rebels, we had Coleman and Rory Arnold playing some great footy along with Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) who are both taller than Phillip.

Looking back at the 2019 WC squad, you could only say Simmons and Coleman were playing noticeably worse than Phillip. Simmons would have been picked for his experience and 'lineout calling' while Coleman had a few years of performing in the Wallabies system.

As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't that Phillip was overlooked, but more we had a considerable amount of depth in his spot which is why Chieka was pushing for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to play 6.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I disagree that Simmons and Coleman was playing worse than Philip, but I'd agree it would have been close. But Philip has been there or there abouts for some time now. He's been on the cusp of Wallabies selection for a while and just kept getting pipped at the post, and now he's kind of (one of) the last man standing.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
I'd like to see JOC (James O'Connor) 10, Simone 12, Petaia 13, with Lolesio on the bench. To'omua misses out entirely.

Strongly agree.

Not for me. Petaia will benefit from playing outside To'omua

How so? Best case he can teach him to kick the ball away on attack. Seriously though, Petaia seems more than comfortable at this level, if you are suggesting some experience inside him would help?

Simone at 12 is much more of a threat with the ball and has a better passing and kicking game. While also being a much bigger body and having slightly better defensive stats this year. If he can step up to this level I think he'd be the clear choice.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to discuss players.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Strongly agree.

How so? Best case he can teach him to kick the ball away on attack. Seriously though, Petaia seems more than comfortable at this level, if you are suggesting some experience inside him would help?

Simone at 12 is much more of a threat with the ball and has a better passing and kicking game. While also being a much bigger body and having slightly better defensive stats this year. If he can step up to this level I think he'd be the clear choice.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to discuss players.
How do you know how Petaia is at 13 at this level? He played very well for the Wallabies at wing, but don't recall him at outside centre. Simone is a good ball runner, but we've now got some outside backs that need to be fed. Just my opinion. There is a game thread for first Bledisloe which I agree these comments belong in

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
How do you know how Petaia is at 13 at this level? He played very well for the Wallabies at wing, but don't recall him at outside centre. Simone is a good ball runner, but we've now got some outside backs that need to be fed. Just my opinion mind you

He played there against England last year and did very well, given not a lot of time, but looked more than comfortable, against a top team in a high pressure setting.

Simone, in my opinion has the best long passing game of any of our backs and while he can run, it's certainly not all he does. The fact that he is a threat himself, as well as being a play-maker, in my mind, should create more opportunities for players out wide. Seems to have a very well rounded game, not perfect and untested but the form Aus 12 this year for me and it would be great if he got a chance at some point.

Edit: I'll head to the game thread. Is it really inappropriate to discuss Wallabies players in general here? My comments aren't exactly specific to the first game.