• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Good points on Simone. TBH I hadn't really considered him a chance of starting at 12 due to To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) both having good super seasons however you are right in that Simone has been the best 12. He has some great attributes to his game and his size is a real plus considering we do not have the most physically imposing backline. However I'm not sure starting him against the ABs in NZ for his first test is a great idea. It will be very interesting to see what the coaching staff decide to do here.

I've got a feeling they may go for the more tried and tested players at intl level for the games in NZ. Something like:

9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Marika
12. To'omua
13. Petaia (if injured I think they will go Hodge, personally I wouldn't... would have taken TK with the injury cloud)
14. Hodge (Daugunu if Hodge at 13)
15. DHP

Personally not what I would select but unless they throw caution into the wind I reckon we will find the most experienced guys will be starting the first test.

Edit: post probably crosses over both wallabies 2020 and match thread. Replied here as it was a direct reply to a post on this thread

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
I think we too often fall into the trap of thinking experienced players are a safer option. I think it's human nature to turtle up and go with known quantities but it would be to our detriment here. For a lot of these guys, we know their ceiling and in my view it is not high enough to beat the likes of the AB's. We should view a debut against the AB's in NZ as a golden opportunity, let's throw the rocks in and see who comes out as a diamond or something.

Also I've moved over to the match thread with player chat.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I find it incredible people still pick Hodge. I understand he is versatile. However, do yourself a favor go back through the past few bledisloes. He is bad defensively and is way too slow. Also brings little in attack. Why go back to something that hasn't worked.
When has he ever had a bad game, seriously? He takes excellent options and is very solid. I don’t think he has the pace for a winger, but he’s not far off and is deceptively fast. He will be there or thereabouts in the 23.
i reckon 15 is his go and I would choose him ahead of DHP.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
When has he ever had a bad game, seriously? He takes excellent options and is very solid. I don’t think he has the pace for a winger, but he’s not far off and is deceptively fast. He will be there or thereabouts in the 23.

Completely agree. Hodge would be my 15. At any rate his versatility makes him a sensible choice in the 23.

Hammeroid

Chris McKivat (8)

I still remember him getting run over by the fijians at the world cup.

He also was main contribituter in giving away the first two tries at eden park last year.

Go ahead pick him again. Watch the ABs run rings around him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think he should be anywhere near the 13 jersey but his finishing record is very underrated. If he plays another 4-5yrs of Super Rugby he could come into contention as Super Rugby highest ever try scorer. Has a solid finishing record for the Wallabies as well. As it stands I think he deserves to be no.4 in the wing spots (Koroibete, Daugunu, Wright) although they fact the everyone of the wingers selected plays on the left might bring some interesting questions and Hodge favors the right hand side.

I think we will see him as the no.1 bench option which is kinda the modern game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I still remember him getting run over by the fijians at the world cup.

He also was main contribituter in giving away the first two tries at eden park last year.

Go ahead pick him again. Watch the ABs run rings around him.
Yep Hodge has some shocking games at the RWC, I think he is a good player, but I can’t help think he is a level below being a quality test player.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep Hodge has some shocking games at the RWC, I think he is a good player, but I can’t help think he is a level below being a quality test player.

He is a pretty good footballer, but I have always assumed that he was picked to some extent on the back of his kicking ability - which is pretty useful once in a blue moon.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Hodge is a professional 23 at test level. Good versatility, without been an expert at any position in particular

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Hodge is a professional 23 at test level. Good versatility, without been an expert at any position in particular
Yep his role in that spot opens so many options for a coach. Him and JOC (James O'Connor) are prob the only 2 guys that would allow a coach 6/2 split

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good points on Simone. TBH I hadn't really considered him a chance of starting at 12 due to To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) both having good super seasons however you are right in that Simone has been the best 12. He has some great attributes to his game and his size is a real plus considering we do not have the most physically imposing backline. However I'm not sure starting him against the ABs in NZ for his first test is a great idea. It will be very interesting to see what the coaching staff decide to do here.
They are going to have to start at least some new guys against the ABs. I think Simone is a real shot, particularly if Petaia isn't fit. 10. To'omua 12. Simone 13. JOC (James O'Connor).

Something like that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Personally, not sold on JOC (James O'Connor) at 13. Hasn't been playing there for some time, and has little to offer for that spot with him slowing down, losing some of his stepping ability and was never a dominant, run through them type of player. I would prefer either TK be brought in or to try Paisami with a lot of help from others in defense (good job for Hooper with his speed across the ground).

TK in form has the experience needed to combat the ABs, and his SRAu final saw him return to some very good form. Not sure that he could logistically join the side in quarantine in time for Bledisloe 1, so hopefully Petaia will prove to be fit and will stay fit (long odds on that though).

EDIT : I believe TK offers the sort of option that would complement JOC (James O'Connor) playing at 10. I think it was a mistake to omit him.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
They are going to have to start at least some new guys against the ABs. I think Simone is a real shot, particularly if Petaia isn't fit. 10. To'omua 12. Simone 13. JOC (James O'Connor).

Something like that.
For me JOC (James O'Connor) 10, To'omua 12 and Petaia at 13 unless Jordan unfit. Simone could be as bench player , but I don't see him coveting many positions outside of 12

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I think we too often fall into the trap of thinking experienced players are a safer option. I think it's human nature to turtle up and go with known quantities but it would be to our detriment here. For a lot of these guys, we know their ceiling and in my view it is not high enough to beat the likes of the AB's. We should view a debut against the AB's in NZ as a golden opportunity, let's throw the rocks in and see who comes out as a diamond or something.

Also I've moved over to the match thread with player chat.

Agreed. I am just not sure if the selectors will do this.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

I've seen him have plenty of bad games and most of his games are just average TBH. 15 is probably his position however he isn't really someone who will light the game up from the back. Could be a decent test match 15 if given time there I think. Control the game type of guy.

He seems like a good fella so I don't take any pleasure in talking him down. I really do not see him as even in the top 2 of any position for Australia. Versatility is his game at the moment. Without that I don't think he would be near the 23.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think so. That was a thing for Cheika's reign. I think Scott Johnson might add his input here and there however as him and Rennie have worked together before.