• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why wouldn't you start a bloke like Simone if we think he is ready? I don't know if To'omua is a lock at 12. I think more likely it is To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) in contention for starting 10 with the other going to the bench to cover 10/12 (even 13 re JOC (James O'Connor)).

The All Blacks are coming from the same position in terms of lead up as the Wallabies - a domestic competition. It's not like we've been playing the kiwi super rugby teams for the past 2 months and they've picked apart our backlines.

For that matter, I'm hoping to see lots of new faces in the side. Nothing about the Wallabies in the last 12 months has really excited me. But Super Rugby AU was really fun to watch and I think we should be embracing some of the blokes who've been picked in the squad based off gun performances in that comp (Simone, Daugunnu, Wilson, Phillip, McDermott, Wright to name a few)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Why wouldn't you start a bloke like Simone if we think he is ready?

The answer is in your question. Also there is a difference between ready for international tests and ready for the ABs.

It is going to be interesting to see Rennie views on these questions, looking forward to it. Of course if Rennie thinks the guy is ready, he will pick him.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Why wouldn't you start a bloke like Simone if we think he is ready? I don't know if To'omua is a lock at 12. I think more likely it is To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) in contention for starting 10 with the other going to the bench to cover 10/12 (even 13 re JOC (James O'Connor)).

The All Blacks are coming from the same position in terms of lead up as the Wallabies - a domestic competition. It's not like we've been playing the kiwi super rugby teams for the past 2 months and they've picked apart our backlines.

For that matter, I'm hoping to see lots of new faces in the side. Nothing about the Wallabies in the last 12 months has really excited me. But Super Rugby AU was really fun to watch and I think we should be embracing some of the blokes who've been picked in the squad based off gun performances in that comp (Simone, Daugunnu, Wilson, Phillip, McDermott, Wright to name a few)

A potential Wallabies back-line from Rennie's squad is already one of the smallest (weight-wise) of the top 10 tier-1 rugby nations, if not the smallest.

The wingers are fine to be picked solely on current-form, athleticism & finishing effectiveness, but for me the midfield needs some bigger bodies.

Simone simply has to start at 12. Petaia at 13.

Co-incidentally they're the two biggest midfielders in Rennie's squad AND they're also (arguably) the two best-performing centres from Super Rugby AU.

For me, To'omua's form across Super Rugby AU doesn't warrant selection at 12 anyway.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A potential Wallabies back-line from Rennie's squad is already one of the smallest (weight-wise) of the top 10 tier-1 rugby nations, if not the smallest.

The wingers are fine to be picked solely on current-form, athleticism & finishing effectiveness, but for me the midfield needs some bigger bodies.

Co-incidentally they're the two biggest midfielders in Rennie's squad AND they're also (arguably) the two best-performing centres from Super Rugby AU.

For me, To'omua's form across Super Rugby AU doesn't warrant selection at 12 anyway.
Simone may be bigger, but To'omua plays heavier.

I’m not opposed to Simone being given the gig - I think he was one of the most consistent and best performed backs across super rugby and even though he doesn’t have a Wallaby Cap yet he has had a couple of years in super rugby.

But it’ll be because of his skill, not his physicality.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Before chucking out the “smallest of the tier 1 nations” line can you run the sums (using data from players’ Super side) on the combined weight of: 10. Mo’unga 11. Reece/Clarke 12. ALB 13. Goodhue/Ioane 14. Bridge/Jordan 15. B Barrett vs 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Petaia 14. Daugunu/Wright 15. DHP and get back to me. Pretty sure the weight difference will be negligible.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

What comp were you watching? Apart from Tupou, To'omua would be pretty close to next in line for best player in the competition, some weeks he was a 1 man backline for a misfiring Rebels team from 9-15. What games do people watch on a Friday and Saturday night???? Surely the different ones to I am watching, experts were watching, GAGR team of the year votes were watching, etc. To'omua will be close to the first back selected in Rennies team, the only decision needed to be made is if it’s at 10 or 12, it’ll be most likely 12 because there is other options of a decent level at 10.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I just not seen with super rugby au how Simone is test match quality. It might well be I just did not watch him closely enough but I thought To’omua offered more.

Anyhow not against him starting or being on the bench against the AB’s as better to put him into the cauldron and confirm if he can take next leg up at test level.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Unsure which thread to post this. Does anyone know if there will be an NRC or something of the like this year? After club footy is complete, will there be any further competition for the guys that don't make it to the Wallabies?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Unsure which thread to post this. Does anyone know if there will be an NRC or something of the like this year? After club footy is complete, will there be any further competition for the guys that don't make it to the Wallabies?

There is nothing post club rugby.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
What comp were you watching? Apart from Tupou, To'omua would be pretty close to next in line for best player in the competition, some weeks he was a 1 man backline for a misfiring Rebels team from 9-15. What games do people watch on a Friday and Saturday night???? Surely the different ones to I am watching, experts were watching, GAGR team of the year votes were watching, etc. To'omua will be close to the first back selected in Rennies team, the only decision needed to be made is if it’s at 10 or 12, it’ll be most likely 12 because there is other options of a decent level at 10.

But To'omua played at 10 for most of Super Rugby AU didn't he? Why select him ahead of Simone who's been consistently playing at 12 and has been arguably the best performer in that position?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But To'omua played at 10 for most of Super Rugby AU didn't he? Why select him ahead of Simone who's been consistently playing at 12 and has been arguably the best performer in that position?

To'omua played about half the games at 12 and was generally excellent there.

He's also the incumbent Wallaby 12 and has played over 50 tests. Simone will need to be seen as a significantly better option to unseat him.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
To'omua has looked good at 12 this year and should start the first Bled for mine. There will be opportunities for the likes of Simone and Lolesio to play through the Bleds/RC I hope.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
To'omua has looked good at 12 this year and should start the first Bled for mine. There will be opportunities for the likes of Simone and Lolesio to play through the Bleds/RC I hope.

There's no screaming obvious choice for fullback at the moment so there's the option where (to have more leadership on the paddock) you could have JOC (James O'Connor) & To'omua
alternating at first-receiver in dual-playmaker roles. Like Mo'unga and Barrett do at 10 & 15 respectively.

10 To'omua, 11 Wright, 12 Simone, 13 Petaia, 14 Koroibete, 15 James O'Conner

This is one of the largest backlines the Wallabies could select from their current squad, an average weight of 94-95 kg.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I remain unconvinced about To'omua at 10 at test level. He wouldn't be terrible, but I think he's a much better 12. I agree that fullback is an issue and it largely hinges on the health of DHP. If he's fit, I would start him.

I think you need smart, tactically intelligent operators at both 10 and 15 to help spread and organize the backline against the All Blacks.

tactically and organisationally To'omua and O'Conner are the two best in Australian rugby currently.

Why not have them in a 10,15 dual-playmaker role? they are both 50+ capped matured veterans who's organisational skills are at their prime after becoming senior players over the last 2-3 years.

10 and 15 are critical part of the spine in a rugby team. 12 isn't - and you preferably need a bigger body (Simone) there.

James O'Conner can perform effectively the same role at 15, except it will be even better, because sitting much deeper at 15, he'll have more time and space to run onto the ball. Imagine him running onto a perfectly timed flat-pass from To'omua.

James O'Conner is effectively the same player as Beauden Barrett. it makes sense to play him at 15.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think you need smart, tactically intelligent operators at both 10 and 15 to help spread and organize the backline against the All Blacks.

tactically and organisationally To'omua and O'Conner are the two best in Australian rugby currently.

Why not have them in a 10,15 dual-playmaker role? they are both 50+ capped matured veterans who's organisational skills are at their prime after becoming senior players over the last 2-3 years.

10 and 15 are critical part of the spine in a rugby team. 12 isn't - and you preferably need a bigger body (Simone) there.

James O'Conner can perform effectively the same role at 15, except it will be even better, because sitting much deeper at 15, he'll have more time and space to run onto the ball. Imagine him running onto a perfectly timed flat-pass from To'omua.

James O'Conner is effectively the same player as Beauden Barrett. it makes sense to play him at 15.
Not thought about JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 -