• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Might seem irrelevant or a waste of money but I’d love to see Australia A make a return in 2020. With a big crop of young up and coming talent, the more they are exposed to better completion (without rushing them into a test jersey) the better.
Thinking a potential team of:

1. JP Smith
2. Anaru Rangi
3. Harry Johnson-Holmes
4. Matt Philip
5. Harry Hockings
6. Lachie Swinton
7. Richard Hardwick
8. Harry Wilson
9. Ryan Louwrens
10. Noah Loloesio
11. Toni Pulu
12. Irae Simone
13. Hunter Paisami
14. Filipo Daugunu
15. Tom Wright (I know he doesn’t play 15, but think he would excel here)

16. Alex Mafi
17. Angus Bell
18. Matt Gibbon
19. Darcy Swain
20. Will Miller
21. Ryan Lonergan
22. Will Harrison
23. Mark Nawaqantiwase

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Might seem irrelevant or a waste of money but I’d love to see Australia A make a return in 2020. With a big crop of young up and coming talent, the more they are exposed to better completion (without rushing them into a test jersey) the better.
Thinking a potential team of:

1. JP Smith
2. Anaru Rangi
3. Harry Johnson-Holmes
4. Matt Philip
5. Harry Hockings
6. Lachie Swinton
7. Richard Hardwick
8. Harry Wilson
9. Ryan Louwrens
10. Noah Loloesio
11. Toni Pulu
12. Irae Simone
13. Hunter Paisami
14. Filipo Daugunu
15. Tom Wright (I know he doesn’t play 15, but think he would excel here)

16. Alex Mafi
17. Angus Bell
18. Matt Gibbon
19. Darcy Swain
20. Will Miller
21. Ryan Lonergan
22. Will Harrison
23. Mark Nawaqantiwase
Wright played 15 at schoolboys and was very good. He excelled with open space

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In boredom I created an exercise of putting together two XV’s of the two best options IMO in every position....

It’s not necessarily a first and second XV, and it certainly discriminates against those masters of none players eg Beale, Hodge etc.

1. Slipper / Sio
2. Fainga’a / Mafi
3. Ala'alatoa / Tupou
4. Rodda / Philip
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) / Hockings
6. Valetini / Dempsey
7. Hooper / Wright
8. Naisarani / Samu
9. Powell / McDermott
10. To'omua / Lolesio
11. Korobeite/ Daugunu
12. JOC (James O'Connor) / Simone
13. Kuridrani / Petaia (how long is he out for?)
14. Wright / Kellaway
15 DHP / Banks

I think To'omua has been stronger at 10 than JOC (James O'Connor) in recent weeks....

JOC (James O'Connor)’s general kicking game was especially bad on the weekend.

Petaia until June at the earliest.

Two best options in terms of what though? Certainly not form - reputation I assume?

Reactions: dru

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I'd have Stewart and Simone well before Hunt if we're looking only at current 12s.

His tackling % is down, but he is an experienced and respected guy by anybody who has played alongside him. Only Paisami has more offloads of Aussie centres, and he's very much a second playmaker (runs far less than others) which is what we're after.

FWIW, I'd happily play either JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua at 12 if they were playing there regualrly in Super. We need to pick players in their position. I would have him ahead of Simone or Stewart for sure, could undersatnd Meakes ahead of him though

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
FWIW, I'd happily play either JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua at 12 if they were playing there regualrly in Super. We need to pick players in their position. I would have him ahead of Simone or Stewart for sure, could undersatnd Meakes ahead of him though
Didn't Rennie say he would only be picking form players in the position they are playing? i think JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua are in the running for 10 or nil. Plus, Simone is the form 12 with the most rounded game of those playing 12 and partners TK who will almost certainly be the Wallaby 13.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd love to have Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) around for Harrison and Lolesio in particular. Passing the lessons on to the next generation is something we really struggle with in Australian rugby.

I don't want to see any lessons about going out to Hungry Jacks (was it?) at 3am on game eve or punching out you Captain, or crabbing sideways instead of running straight etc, passed on to any of our young up and comers.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't want to see any lessons about going out to Hungry Jacks (was it?) at 3am on game eve or punching out you Captain, or crabbing sideways instead of running straight etc, passed on to any of our young up and comers.
Let it go BR was years ago.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Crabbing is very current D. For that reason alone I wouldn't want him mentoring Harrison or Lolesio.

Maybe its about what 'not to do'. Look at Beale's kicking, defending, ball security, throwing aimless offloads.... and do the opposite.

He is a one trick pony at the moment, lethal in broken play, a liability everywhere else.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I see lots of teams selecting Wing/Fullback: DHP & Banks.

Terrible idea. Both are shit wingers. DHP so slow and poor defending. Banks also has poor defence, and just looks lost on the wing.

One will be fullback, unfortunately the other doesn't make the 23.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I see lots of teams selecting Wing/Fullback: DHP & Banks.

Terrible idea. Both are shit wingers. DHP so slow and poor defending. Banks also has poor defence, and just looks lost on the wing.

One will be fullback, unfortunately the other doesn't make the 23.
I think you are probably right. Koroibete will be 11 and DHP will be 15 (presently). The problem is then who to put on the other wing. If it’s an out and out winger I reckon it will be Speight. Kellaway would be my smoky for the spot though, he seems to have benefited from his offshore stint.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think you are probably right. Koroibete will be 11 and DHP will be 15 (presently). The problem is then who to put on the other wing. If it’s an out and out winger I reckon it will be Speight. Kellaway would be my smoky for the spot though, he seems to have benefited from his offshore stint.

Yeh no-one really putting there hand up. Speight maybe the form winger, but he's lost a lot of pace and hasn't done much at test level to really bring much to the table...... besides a strong offloading game.

But then theirs: Kellaway/Maddocks/Wright/Pulu/English/CFS/Nawaqanitawase.... None are exactly playing bad footy either.

I would have loved Petaia, that would solve a lot of problems. 13 Kuridrani, 14 Petaia. Then next year Petais starts to make 13 his.

Maybe Pasami is a smoky for the wing?

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeh no-one really putting there hand up. Speight maybe the form winger, but he's lost a lot of pace and hasn't done much at test level to really bring much to the table.. besides a strong offloading game.

But then theirs: Kellaway/Maddocks/Wright/Pulu/English/CFS/Nawaqanitawase.. None are exactly playing bad footy either.

I would have loved Petaia, that would solve a lot of problems. 13 Kuridrani, 14 Petaia. Then next year Petais starts to make 13 his.

Maybe Pasami is a smoky for the wing?

Its still early days, although for mine Kellaway and Wright have been the form wingers. Wright probably has greater versatility, more x-factor and his team winning. But a long way to go, if the Tahs can sort things out Maddocks may also come back into calculations.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Still preachiing a 33 man squad - so room for a couple form based rookies, as well as 'reputational' players. Daugunu I still think was incredibly fortunate to get an extended contract with RA topup so might be hard to leave him out. Obviously several players won't get game time.

Hk: Fainga'a, Mafi, Uelese
Prop: Sio, Slipper, Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Smith
Lock: Simmons, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Phillips
BR: Valetini, Naisarani, Wilson, Samu, Wright, Hoops
HB: Powell, Mcdermott, Gordon/Louwrens
FH: To'omua, JOC (James O'Connor), Lolosio
C: Simone, Paisami, TK, Hodge
OB: Banks, Beale, DHP, Koroibete, Wright/Daugunu/Maddocks

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Seems to be a few posters here affected by Cheikavirus. Depending on which Super Rugby team they support, their suggested Wallabies team has an inordinate number of players from that team and in some (many) cases fewer players from the one form side in the competition, the Brumbies.

I do mostly like the squad put forward by Upthereds above, but I will not be happy while ever both Simmons and Beale are included in discussions.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Seems to be a few posters here affected by Cheikavirus. Depending on which Super Rugby team they support, their suggested Wallabies team has an inordinate number of players from that team and in some (many) cases fewer players from the one form side in the competition, the Brumbies.

Instead of just taking (predictable) pot shots, why don't you name some names? Who from the Brumbies have we overlooked here?

Most squads/teams on here have featured at least eight or nine Brumbies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Instead of just taking (predictable) pot shots, why don't you name some names? Who from the Brumbies have we overlooked here?

Most squads/teams on here have featured at least eight or nine Brumbies.

Yeah, but that means that 6 or 7 of the feral pests miss out. And that's just in the starting XV. What about the rest of the 23? Ehhh?

S

Show-n-go

1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 AAA
4 Rodda
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 Samu
7 Hooper
8 Naisirani
9 McDermott
10 Lolosio
11 Koroibete
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Kuridrani
14 DHP
15 Banks

16 Mafi
17 Sio
18 Tupou
19 Phillip
20 Valentini
21 Powell
22 To'omua
23 Beale

Front row fairly self explanatory

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) chosen to start to beef up the pack at the expense of having Hooper and Samu start

McDermott to start as I think he is better however I think Powell has a better ability to close out a game/less likely to screw up so he finishes

Lolosio the controversial one, I just like his style, even though I don’t think his long term position is flyhalf. he isn’t afraid to run, take a hit. We may as well start his induction into higher honours. JOC (James O'Connor) there to help him out at flyhalf and To'omua on the bench in case we need some experience out in the field

K train picks himself although I think he has max a year or two left at this level

DHP I’ve never been a massive fan of although I think he has a pretty good start to the year, otherwise kellaway

Banks playing well and deserves a crack - Beale on the bench, he still has something to offer, especially as a impact player on the backend of games