• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I see lots of teams selecting Wing/Fullback: DHP & Banks.

Terrible idea. Both are shit wingers. DHP so slow and poor defending. Banks also has poor defence, and just looks lost on the wing.

One will be fullback, unfortunately the other doesn't make the 23.
Yeah - two wingers please.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Seems to be a few posters here affected by Cheikavirus. Depending on which Super Rugby team they support, their suggested Wallabies team has an inordinate number of players from that team and in some (many) cases fewer players from the one form side in the competition, the Brumbies.

I do mostly like the squad put forward by Upthereds above, but I will not be happy while ever both Simmons and Beale are included in discussions.
Simmons will be in the discussion because he has a multitude of test caps and we have very few senior locks.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Seems to be a few posters here affected by Cheikavirus. Depending on which Super Rugby team they support, their suggested Wallabies team has an inordinate number of players from that team and in some (many) cases fewer players from the one form side in the competition, the Brumbies.

I do mostly like the squad put forward by Upthereds above, but I will not be happy while ever both Simmons and Beale are included in discussions.

Yeah we know that but the reality is they are both still very likely to be squaddies at the very least while the new crop are groomed, and more importantly proven, at test level.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I was going to say I prefer someone taller on the wing to Kellaway purely for his height & high ball security but just looked up Kellaway's height and it's 1.84m which surprises me. Thought he was smaller.

11. Koroibete
14. Kellaway
15. Banks

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)

It's a tough one - We have a couple good FB's in Banks and DHP, so we don't really need Beale, there are some wingers doing a solid job. However, as must as it pains me to say, there aren't ENOUGH locks outplaying Simmons. Rodda and Phillips are. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will play lock, but guys like Swain, Hockings and Blyth aren't outplaying...YET. Fingers crossed.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Kellaway strikes me as Davies 2.0. Perhaps I am stuck in the mindset of his build from a few years ago. The Rebels have him listed as 186cm, would that be correct?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
There are a heap of players who just select themselves based on their form in the World Cup and the fact that they're still playing well now.

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5. Rodda
6. Samu
7. Hooper (c)
8. Naisarani
9. McDermott
10. O'Connor
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Banks

16. Mafi
17. JP Smith
18. Tupou
19. Neville
20. Valetini
21. Powell
22. Simone
23. Maddocks

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Maybe its about what 'not to do'. Look at Beale's kicking, defending, ball security, throwing aimless offloads.. and do the opposite.

He is a one trick pony at the moment, lethal in broken play, a liability everywhere else.

Yeah, Beale on kick return against a formed defensive line is like your 5yro little brother running at you

He gets picked up and splattered

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn't Rennie say he would only be picking form players in the position they are playing? i think JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua are in the running for 10 or nil. Plus, Simone is the form 12 with the most rounded game of those playing 12 and partners TK who will almost certainly be the Wallaby 13.

Let's wait and see who he actually picks.

Lots of coaches talk about form and playing in position but when it boils down to it, that's just a couple of the criteria any of them use. Combinations, experience, potential,

I highly doubt that Rennie will rule out JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua being able to play anywhere other than 10 because that's where they are mostly being selected.

Form is also highly subjective as a term and almost certainly will get applied in different ways. Is it across the whole season, is it just the final month or so before selecting a squad, how will those who have missed time with injuries be judged on that basis?Like any coach, I expect it will depend on the player in question. Different criteria will be applied to different players.

I think it is absolutely certain that Rennie won't use non-existent rules based on his own statements if they hinder him selecting who he thinks is his best squad.

What will be interesting is whether any overseas based players get selected for the July series, in particular Nic White.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think White is a certainty to be in the squad. Assuming Exeter make the final it is on June 20, the same day as the Super Rugby final. If it was last year and Genia and Phipps were around then maybe not, but as all the other contenders are essentially rookies, and we are talking about the most pivotal position on the field, he's too important to not have in the 23.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Speight should be on the wing with Koroibete, they are the two form units

I also believe we still need a backrower who is a viable lineout option (Naisarani) and another who is a real lineout option (LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or another)

I see Samu as Hooper's understudy, unless you start budgeting to replace Hooper, we end up with another unbalanced backrow finishing games unless a unit as effective as LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) plays 80

I also see a young lock being selected, one of the baby 10s and my smokey is Angus Bell.

S

Show-n-go

I think Speight should be on the wing with Koroibete, they are the two form units

I also believe we still need a backrower who is a viable lineout option (Naisarani) and another who is a real lineout option (LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or another)

I see Samu as Hooper's understudy, unless you start budgeting to replace Hooper, we end up with another unbalanced backrow finishing games unless a unit as effective as LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) plays 80

I also see a young lock being selected, one of the baby 10s and my smokey is Angus Bell.

Two wings who can’t kick is dangerous

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Valetini doesn't jump in the Brumbies lineout though...........

Samu is currently used as the third jumper.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It looks as though we will lack height in the back three.

I thought the same but earlier did some quick research of the outside backs of the other top nations. Kellaway, Banks, Speight are all similar heights or taller than Hogg, Halfpenny, Daly, May, Josh Adams, D. Mckenzie, Le Roux, Beauden Barrett (not Jordie). With DHP & Hodge taller than most of them and Maddocks taller than everyone.