• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I cant help thinking that Bernie would be much better placed at that time with a lot more relevant experience, I hope, and I would think should have if he is lucky, a CV that shits on Dan.

This thing of anointing early internally does not work for me.

We need coaching pathways from club to Pro. But let's be cautious when we are talking about the WBs.

My mail is that Larkham (and Grey) are ongoing projects with RA, and their overseas gigs have been facilitated and curated to develop them further with the future here in mind. You may well be on the money.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Larkham and Grey have been widely mocked, their records held up for ridicule. Their techniques have been viewed as laughable and ineffective by experts from all corners of the globe.
Their records are shocking, awful even. Sometimes without any rational explanation.

Seems totally reasonable to suggest they're misunderstood. Yay ARU.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK so I think we've seen enough of this season to make some early predictions for how the Wallabies will look.

1. Sio or Slipper
2. Fainga'a or Mafi
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Naisirani

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Banks
15. DHP

16. Fainga'a or Mafi
17. Sio or Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Hockings
20. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
21. Powell
22. Simone
23. Beale

I actually don't think there are that many wide open spots. Nor do I think there will be any radical bolters.

You could make a case for a few others on the bench, and with the versatility in my selected backline you would think long and hard about a 6/2 bench split.

But I think that side is a good mix of youth and experience, and gives Rennie plenty to work with.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
OK so I think we've seen enough of this season to make some early predictions for how the Wallabies will look.

1. Sio or Slipper
2. Fainga'a or Mafi
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Naisirani

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Banks
15. DHP

16. Fainga'a or Mafi
17. Sio or Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Hockings
21. Powell
22. Simone
23. Beale

I actually don't think there are that many wide open spots. Nor do I think there will be any radical bolters.

You could make a case for a few others on the bench, and with the versatility in my selected backline you would think long and hard about a 6/2 bench split.

But I think that side is a good mix of youth and experience, and gives Rennie plenty to work with.

I'd say Philip is a pretty radical bolter. Uncapped to starting is a rise. Curious to know if Rennie sees anything in Radical Rob, Hockings debut could be delayed yet.

I also think To'omua will get the nod ahead of JO'C.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd say Philip is a pretty radical bolter. Uncapped to starting is a rise. Curious to know if Rennie sees anything in Radical Rob, Hockings debut could be delayed yet.

I also think To'omua will get the nod ahead of JO'C.

Maybe. But if Rennie decides to bypass Simmons, then we're getting an uncapped player in that spot (unless he picks LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)).

Of the uncapped locks running around, Philip to me is the standout candidate. Good carrier and very strong in the lineout, as we saw on Friday.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Barb, with the backline you've listed, I don't think Beale is needed in the 23. I'd much rather have a Lolesio or Harrison there to come on and be guided by To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. With Banks and DHP you've got two covers for 15, with 12 you've got JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua. So I just don't see his value add.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

1. Sio or Slipper
2. Fainga'a or Mafi
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Naisirani

9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Banks
15. DHP

16. Fainga'a or Mafi
17. Sio or Slipper
18. Tupou
19. Hockings
21. Powell
22. Simone
23. Beale

I reckon Blythe has probably leapfrogged Hockings at this stage, but it'll likely depend on what it is Rennie is looking for.I think my prefence might be to have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as the bench lock and get Samu onto the bench as the backrow option.

I don't really want to see Banks or DHP playing wing first up, would rather Wright, Campbell, Daugunu or Kellaway got a shot as a more out and out winger. But if both of them are in the back three I think I'd have Banks at fullback, he barely ever plays wing where as DHP has a good bit of time there. Would then probably take Beale on the bench for 6-2 but whichever missed out for 5-3.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Barb, with the backline you've listed, I don't think Beale is needed in the 23. I'd much rather have a Lolesio or Harrison there to come on and be guided by To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. With Banks and DHP you've got two covers for 15, with 12 you've got JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua. So I just don't see his value add.

I thought about this. I just don't think Lolesio or Harrison make sense on the bench, as they can only play 10. If JOC (James O'Connor) gets injured, I'd want To'omua to step into 10. If he doesn't, I'm just not sure we need to sub off our 10.

I'd prefer someone with a bit of spark, who can add something off the bench. Beale is that guy as it stands. You could also make a case for someone like Paisami. But Beale can play anywhere on the field, and has experience, which is why he gets the nod for mine.

But if Rennie wanted to blood a young 10 off the bench I wouldn't be outraged.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

22. Simone
23. Beale

I don't think you need either Simone or Beale on the bench if you have DHP & Banks and To'omua & JOC (James O'Connor) in the starting side

More likely is to blood a young 10 and a threatening, young outside back

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought about this. I just don't think Lolesio or Harrison make sense on the bench, as they can only play 10. If JOC (James O'Connor) gets injured, I'd want To'omua to step into 10. If he doesn't, I'm just not sure we need to sub off our 10.

I'd prefer someone with a bit of spark, who can add something off the bench. Beale is that guy as it stands. You could also make a case for someone like Paisami. But Beale can play anywhere on the field, and has experience, which is why he gets the nod for mine.

I think we a first up test against Fiji there will definitely be a few young debutantes on the bench (and in the starting side), it's a game we should expect to be challenged in but also lock up around the 60 minute mark. Provides an excellent opportunity to give some international experience to those guys and see how they're shaping up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I think Beale's international career may be over. He's as dangerous as ever on the counter but he seems to have deteriorated in areas where he was already pretty questionable like kicking and defence. Can't see Rennie being too keen.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think Beale's international career may be over. He's as dangerous as ever on the counter but he seems to have deteriorated in areas where he was already pretty questionable like kicking and defence. Can't see Rennie being too keen.

Maybe. It will be interesting to see. I still think he's got something to offer, and at very least would be good to have around a young squad.