• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Agree, whilst some of the attack was good, the North v South teams both had the defensive cohesiveness of a Barbarians team whose training involved getting to know each other over a few beers at the pub.

Thinking this through, it weakens SOU as a Wallaby selection vehicle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thinking this through, it weakens SOU as a Wallaby selection vehicle.

It's just another piece of information to help inform your decision.

The concept that these would ever be THE selection trial is never going to be accurate. It might confirm some borderline decisions but you aren't picking your best 46 players and then saying whoever plays best in this one game or three games series are going to make the team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's just another piece of information to help inform your decision.

The concept that these would ever be THE selection trial is never going to be accurate. It might confirm some borderline decisions but you aren't picking your best 46 players and then saying whoever plays best in this one game or three games series are going to make the team.

We can probably help firm some of it up too. I have suggested previously that both teams be coached from elements of the WB coaching team, ideally following the same sort of strategies and set up that the WBs have in mind. At least get the development of combinations underway (where they are outside of teams combinations).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We can probably help firm some of it up too. I have suggested previously that both teams be coached from elements of the WB coaching team, ideally following the same sort of strategies and set up that the WBs have in mind. At least get the development of combinations (where they are outside of teams combinations).
I think it can be useful for selection in positions where there is a lot of talent that is relatively unproven at the top level. For instance, I think Caleb Clarke probably grabbed himself a starting jersey out of the game. I imagine if we had something similar and one of Daugunu, Wright, and Ramm really stood out that could be enough for them to start.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think it can be useful for selection in positions where there is a lot of talent that is relatively unproven at the top level. For instance, I think Caleb Clarke probably grabbed himself a starting jersey out of the game. I imagine if we had something similar and one of Daugunu, Wright, and Ramm really stood out that could be enough for them to start.

My problem with this is the Harlem Globetrotter thing. These games will enhance perceptions of the bling where defensive capabilities are in some ways more important.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I guess that's part of the appeal of a Wallabies Trial game/series.

You could split teams however you want maybe the assistant picks his 15 first, then the head coach picks his 23 with the assistant selecting his bench from there. (Obviously they are going to work together and pick the teams & combinations that they want to see but notionally the assistant(s) selecting first gives them an advantage and let's you give your assistants some head coaching experience.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My problem with this is the Harlem Globetrotter thing. These games will enhance perceptions of the bling where defensive capabilities are in some ways more important.

That assumes the game won't end up as a dire drop fest/scrum collapse fest due to the lack of cohesion

B

Bobby Sands

Wisemantel and the S&C Coach John Pryor are running the camp.

Rennie and Taylor can't join because they're in Queensland and would need to go into quarantine upon returning to Queensland if they came to NSW.

I believe that if the Rebels lose next weekend their Wallabies squad members will join this camp in Sydney but if the Reds lose then the whole thing might move to Queensland.

John Pryor is interesting.

Got done importing steroids before Sydney olympics.

Supposedly very cutting edge & lots of results. Long time ago, so obviously gets benefit of doubt at this point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
John Pryor is interesting.

Got done importing steroids before Sydney olympics.

Supposedly very cutting edge & lots of results. Long time ago, so obviously gets benefit of doubt at this point.

Since then (from 2004 to 2007) he has worked with the Brumbies, Waratahs and Wallabies, mostly under Eddie Jones.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I get the impression we are featuring the nest for EJ (Eddie Jones) to come back into a Director of Rugby role following the next RWC.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I suspect that the shopping list would include:

Arnold, Coleman, Skelton, McMahon & Kerevi.

I suspect of that lot, Arnold and Skelton are high priorities.

Rodda will be left in the wilderness for another 12 months or until he rejoins Aussie Rugby with the Force the most likely suitors.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd take Kerevi to be honest. The best 12 playing at the moment is To'omua, who isnt even playing 12. Simone is next best, and he's not as good as Kerevi.