• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Thanks for that qwerty. My white board is full of scribbles trying to work it out.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that it’s announced today - thought they might wait until after the final. But I guess players have had plenty of rugby to press their case and you’d expect most of the players in the two teams in the final have put pretty good cases forward. A couple of fringe squad guys like Stewart & Muirhead could have maybe forced a spot with cracking games, but I think they might both have a few too many others in front of them. I’d like to see Campbell get the nod though - even though there is a bit of a logjam of options at 15. I’d have DHP as clear first start 15 but behind him the others all have had their moments. Campbell has been as good as any IMO. Not sure he is ready to start at test level but then I am not 100% a couple of the other options are going to realise their potential at the next level either.

I know the COVID bubble complicates things with training squads, but I am hoping the young lock brigade are all linked in somehow. It is an area of weakness at the moment but that could turn around pretty quickly IMO. Similar story at 10 with Lolesio & Harrison both doing some really good things (I expect both of them to be in the official squad - especially given we don’t have the OS options available there that we do at lock).

Campbell is a good player and has contributed well to the Reds cause this year, but I don't see him as a complete No 15 yet. Watching the Reds this year, it is clear that JOC (James O'Connor) spends most of his time at the back to take any kicks in general play and to either kick return or set up an attack. Jock doesn't perform that fullback function for whatever reason.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I don’t think they should be selecting for the experience in this situation. The fact some of these guys got in on the PONI list is fine, Let them know they’re headed in the right direction. Where it become problematic is with a COVID bubble around the squad, you have to pick your best however many players. Just say there’s a rash of injuries in a position where someone’s got a token spot because they’ve shown promise, we can’t bring anyone from outside the bubble for two weeks, we are stuck with inexperienced promise instead of our next best.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Rennie said those who were omitted, namely Naisarani, Dempsey and Kuridrani, the squad was picked on form and those who have missed out have had feedback on what they need to work on and the messages are petty clear on what that is.
Captain to be announced next week once the whole squad has been assembled.
With 5 locks named, he says Hanigan could fill in at lock and there are still discussions around bringing someone in from overseas but didn't really confirm if lock would be one of those positions.
I would buy this ‘picked on form’ line if Ikitau and Bell weren’t in the side who are clearly there as development/picked on potential players. I don’t really have an issue with either of them being in the squad, it just doesn’t tally with the reasons for not picking Dempsey and Naisarani.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Campbell is a good player and has contributed well to the Reds cause this year, but I don't see him as a complete No 15 yet. Watching the Reds this year, it is clear that JOC (James O'Connor) spends most of his time at the back to take any kicks in general play and to either kick return or set up an attack. Jock doesn't perform that fullback function for whatever reason.
I don’t disagree. I’d have liked to see him picked and I thought his form was good enough, but I get why he wasn’t. I don’t really get your analysis of his interaction with JOC (James O'Connor). Both of them spend plenty of time on kick return and every number 10 spends time at the back. I can’t see where the Reds are doing anything considerably different to the others - but so be if if they are. Certainly Jock’s kick return is one if the strongest parts of his game, but he kicks back plenty too. His kicking is good enough - although I’d grant all the other options have bigger boots. I wouldn’t say at this stage there is any guarantee Campbell will go on to he a Wallaby.

But I guess I have concerns that both Banks and Maddocks are going to step up to the mark too.

Banks is starting to look to me like that guy who never quite lives up to the hype. Maybe it’s just the injury and he’ll come good but he has definitely dipped in form.

Maddocks clearly has both the skills and the physical attributes. When he puts it together he looks great. But he has been pretty ordinary at times too.

Anyway, I’m repeating myself now. They’ve both made the squad and I have no issue with that. I hope one or both prove me wrong - at their best, both of them are good enough.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some random Wallaby thoughts after last night's game:
Uelese and Petaia are made of glass. Great talents, but we may never see how great due to their nasty case of Ben Tune syndrome
While a fan of AAA, Thor must be our starting loose head
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) must be one of our locks, the other spot is still open
McReight is a real talent, will play a lot in the gold jumper, but right at the moment I still want Hooper there(I know I will cop the ire of BR and Bobby Sands for that, but I guess I'm just going to have to learn to live with that).
O'Conner at 10 and To'omua at 12 please, not the other way around.
Daugunu and Korobeite are the two best wingers in the country and should be in gold. Wright and Ramm (both who really impress me) will have to wait their turn.
Sorry Reds fans, but I'm not on the Campbell bus. He's a handy enough Super player, but for mine DHP, Banks, Maddocks and Hodge are all in front of him for Wallaby 15.

I'm sure you will lose a hell of a lot of sleep over my reaction to your preference for Hooper, Froggy. The only reason I have from time to time advocated for Liam Wright at No 7 is for balance in the backrow. Wright's lineout skills allow more aggressive players to fill the 6 and 8 spots. I think especially against the ABs that is exactly what the Wallabies will need.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

If HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is covering both sides as per the PONI list, I reckon he’ll spend a fair bit of training time at LHP

The thought of him playing LH is not so controversial a week later.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I don’t disagree. I’d have liked to see him picked and I thought his form was good enough, but I get why he wasn’t. I don’t really get your analysis of his interaction with JOC (James O'Connor). Both of them spend plenty of time on kick return and every number 10 spends time at the back. I can’t see where the Reds are doing anything considerably different to the others - but so be if if they are. Certainly Jock’s kick return is one if the strongest parts of his game, but he kicks back plenty too. His kicking is good enough - although I’d grant all the other options have bigger boots. I wouldn’t say at this stage there is any guarantee Campbell will go on to he a Wallaby.

But I guess I have concerns that both Banks and Maddocks are going to step up to the mark too.

Banks is starting to look to me like that guy who never quite lives up to the hype. Maybe it’s just the injury and he’ll come good but he has definitely dipped in form.

Maddocks clearly has both the skills and the physical attributes. When he puts it together he looks great. But he has been pretty ordinary at times too.

Anyway, I’m repeating myself now. They’ve both made the squad and I have no issue with that. I hope one or both prove me wrong - at their best, both of them are good enough.
For the Reds to complete against NZ teams we need to be on the search for a smarter and more skilful fullback. Not sure if JOC (James O'Connor) hangs deep to avoid tackles or to cover Campbell’s inabilities. It’s been my biggest complaint and the most noticeable weakness of our backs.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s unfortunately the problem of State v Country needs Bobby.

The problem the Tahs have is that he is the best person in their roster to play 3. Teams obviously try and accommodate their players maximising their potential where they can - but (like any employer) they have to do what’s best for the organisation. I can’t say for sure if he would be a better LHP than Bell or not, but I do know they are both bloody good props and there is only one way for the Tahs to get maximum value out of both of their investment.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
For the Reds to complete against NZ teams we need to be on the search for a smarter and more skilful fullback. Not sure if JOC (James O'Connor) hangs deep to avoid tackles or to cover Campbell’s inabilities. It’s been my biggest complaint and the most noticeable weakness of our backs.
No worries. Happy to agree to disagree. I’m enjoying now Campbell is going but given it is the Wallaby thread and he missed the cut, I’ll leave it at that.

B

Bobby Sands

It’s unfortunately the problem of State v Country needs Bobby.

The problem the Tahs have is that he is the best person in their roster to play 3. Teams obviously try and accommodate their players maximising their potential where they can - but (like any employer) they have to do what’s best for the organisation. I can’t say for sure if he would be a better LHP than Bell or not, but I do know they are both bloody good props and there is only one way for the Tahs to get maximum value out of both of their investment.

Not lost on me, but I wanted to know if he would get back to his “correct” position. Was hosed down and told he had played plenty of tight head. When I produced evidence of his conversion I was howled down as not being able to handle a different perspective. Rennie picks him at LH, crickets.

But of course, I was the agitator and had no idea.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yes I would've picked HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has a pure TH and picked Smith over Ainlsey for LH.
I imagine the problem is that Rennie will be keen to build for the future. He has Slipper & Sio we established options, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) as the guy 2-3 years in and Bell who is the project player. Add to that Smith has been our injured for long periods.

The thing I can’t argue with is your comment on Ainsley. He seems a weird selection to me in a number of ways.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair Sio was pretty good. He seems to have dropped off last year and get worse this year. Won’t be surprised if HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) gets picked in front of him. But he has been very good and I won’t be surprised if he bounces back either.