• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’m not surprised either, as indicated in my post prior to the decision.

re Foketi, there seems to a fair bit of discontent about his inclusion in the squad, but IMO he has been the form Australian 12 over the past couple of months and therefore has earned the right to at least be looked at.

Really it was between him and Simone for 3rd string 12, Im happy for them to have a look at him, we question Ikitau last season and look at him now, his easily selected and could be first place 13.

Simone given some stuff to work on and hopefully make him better, to be honest I think it hurt him that Kunzel came on towards the end of the season and looked heaps better at 12.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I agree that Foketi has been in good form on attack, but you need a body of work, and like guys like Liam Wright, it's just too little too late. Also their was an eliment of you score one so we can score two in a number of their games.

.Also anyone in that Waratahs backline until proven otherwise has so be assumed to be a complete defensive liability! Like sure the other teams had points put on them, but not like the Waratahs did. The Waratahs let in litteraly 256 points in 5 games. That is more than 50 points a game, heck maybe they let in more but the counter just maxes out at 256, I don't know. But no one from the Waratahs can be considered to have any kind of defensive ability until they've proven otherwise.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree that Foketi has been in good form on attack, but you need a body of work, and like guys like Liam Wright, it's just too little too late. Also their was an eliment of you score one so we can score two in a number of their games.

.Also anyone in that Waratahs backline until proven otherwise has so be assumed to be a complete defensive liability! Like sure the other teams had points put on them, but not like the Waratahs did. The Waratahs let in litteraly 256 points in 5 games. That is more than 50 points a game, heck maybe they let in more but the counter just maxes out at 256, I don't know. But no one from the Waratahs can be considered to have any kind of defensive ability until they've proven otherwise.
I don’t think it fair to assume that just because someone is in a team structure that defends badly they can’t defend.

I don’t know whether Foketi will be a good selection or not. I suspect Tomkin is right in that he is the third 12. He showed some good attributes during the super rugby season. Did anyone miss out that really should have been there in his place?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That………. is………. hilarious.

His still a risk of doing something dumb, specially playing the rest of the game down to 14 men because he can't control himself.. even if it was a yellow.. Can't wait for him to be selected and get carded 30 mins in again. o_O

Hopefully though his not in the best 15 anyway.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don’t know if we’re lucky about Swinton, now more chance he’ll do it on for the Wallabies.

I rate him. He has defensive physicality, workrate, has added a bit of a running game and is very competent in the lineout.

We are very quick to discard players who are perceived as having the wrong mentality these days. Probably because of past trauma.

But, he stated at the start of this year that he's been working on the red mist and also stated that he found it difficult to find the right line without any senior players (Hooper) around to guide him.

That said, he's basically already in last chance saloon. He cops another red I don't think he'll ever get another shot.

Edit: and if he's not a Wallaby over the next couple of years I expect he'll demand a handsome salary in Europe.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Can't see Swinton getting ahead of Valetini for 6, but may find him get a gig in the second French test.

Rennie rates Swinton very highly for his abrasiveness and aggressive style. When Dave mentioned that 'Dark Side' quality he was targeting among Australian players and I quote: 'Ruthlessness' and 'Aggression' required for matching the All Blacks, when selecting his squad - Lachie Swinton was the first player for me that came to mind.

I even wouldn't be surprised to see him named to start at 6 after his excellent 30 minutes against the ABs last year. If not starting, I expect him to be named on the bench covering backrow and lock (he's 1.95cm, 113kg) and I'm pretty sure he played lock regularly in his club days. I recall Penney once started Swinton at lock in one Super Rugby AU match earlier in the year.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Rennie rates Swinton very highly for his abrasiveness and aggressive style. When Dave mentioned that 'Dark Side' quality he was targeting among Australian players and I quote: 'Ruthlessness' and 'Aggression' required for matching the All Blacks, when selecting his squad - Lachie Swinton was the first player for me that came to mind.

I even wouldn't be surprised to see him named to start at 6 after his excellent 30 minutes against the ABs last year. If not starting, I expect him to be named on the bench covering backrow and lock (he's 1.95cm, 113kg) and I'm pretty sure he played lock regularly in his club days. I recall Penney once started Swinton at lock in one Super Rugby AU match earlier in the year.

I'm all for ruthlessness and aggression, but there is a smart and a stupid way to do it and Lachie normally goes the stupid route. He needs to be more like Sam Scott-Young, Simon Poidevin or Owen Finnegan were back in the day: hard and uncompromising, but still within the laws. If Rennie can get him to channel that aggression into hurting the opposition legally then he'll have done very well. I would stand and applaud it.

Alex Ross (28)
I'm all for ruthlessness and aggression, but there is a smart and a stupid way to do it and Lachie normally goes the stupid route. He needs to be more like Sam Scott-Young, Simon Poidevin or Owen Finnegan were back in the day: hard and uncompromising, but still within the laws. If Rennie can get him to channel that aggression into hurting the opposition legally then he'll have done very well. I would stand and applaud it.

Swinton has been very controlled this year and not through lack of involvement. Big tackle numbers and no foul play to speak of aside from that final action (which was incorrectly ruled to be worse than it was).

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

Dave Rennie's Chiefs were infamous for their cynical aggression and off-the-ball niggle, constantly playing to the extreme limits of the law. They were the most hated team in NZ and that wasn't even during the years were particularly dominant. Once the referees identified & stamped-out their behaviour after those 2012-13 seasons.. it became a lot harder for Rennie's men. They never made another final under Rennie's tenure.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Valentini has shown this all season. The way he lined up Ardie Savea during the Canes game was perfect.. first run charged straight at him and kept that up all game attack and defence..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Valetini, Hooper and Wilson seems like a pretty obvious first choice backrow this season.

In the French series I certainly expect we'll see a lot of players used. What will be interesting is whether this is basically two different starting XVs or whether it is mix and match to manage minutes across three games in a short period of time.

Do you pick two starting XVs and have mostly the same bench for all 3 tests (so the bench players are not starters for the second test) or do you mix and match so you pick your best 23 for tests 1 and 3 and then the bench players plus seven others get a chance to start the second test and half the starters from the first test make up the bench for the second test.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
During Super Rugby Au I would have been all about Swinton (6) and Valetini (8) - but Wilson stepped up in TT so Wilson regained 8

I suggest we will see Naisarani on the bench, then Swinton/ Naisarani / Mcreight for test #2.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Valetini, Hooper and Wilson seems like a pretty obvious first choice backrow this season.

In the French series I certainly expect we'll see a lot of players used. What will be interesting is whether this is basically two different starting XVs or whether it is mix and match to manage minutes across three games in a short period of time.

Do you pick two starting XVs and have mostly the same bench for all 3 tests (so the bench players are not starters for the second test) or do you mix and match so you pick your best 23 for tests 1 and 3 and then the bench players plus seven others get a chance to start the second test and half the starters from the first test make up the bench for the second test.

Absolutely. It's the standout combo and pretty well balanced too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Assuming Hooper isn't starting all three tests, it will be interesting to see who captains the second test.

I assume it won't be JOC (James O'Connor) as he will be our first choice 10.

The options I think are likely are To'omua, Slipper or Ala'alatoa. All of those could easily be on the bench in tests one and three and start the second test as captain.