• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are suspensions for games or weeks?

If its 4 or 6, either way his misses France but can still play RC. Needs to challenge and get 0 if he is going to play France.

True. I guess it's just whether he gets to play a couple of Shute Shield games after the French series.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I can understand why they are contesting it. Whether it’s 4 or 6 he misses France, and if it’s 6 he can claim a couple of Shute games and in either scenario he’s back for the RC. As for the actual offence, again I can see why they are contesting it, it was stupid but I doubt it meets the red card threshold. I thought he might get a yellow, but it wasn’t a red at face value.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I assume they'll be arguing that the contact with the head was inconsequential (his shoulder brushed the opposition player's chin) and the impact was predominantly with the chest and shouldn't have met the red card threshold as the contact to the head wasn't with force.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I assume they'll be arguing that the contact with the head was inconsequential (his shoulder brushed the opposition player's chin) and the impact was predominantly with the chest and shouldn't have met the red card threshold as the contact to the head wasn't with force.

I just watched the replay to check my original position and that’s what I’m thinking too. From the side angle you can’t even see the head contact, he was clearly trying to drive him at chest level. It was stupid because the penalty was won and it was after the whistle, Boshier was being an annoying prick so I can understand the frustration from Swinton. Dumb yes, red no.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Blokes an idiot but the absolute incompetence in application of the laws should leave plenty of doubt in the judiciaries mind. That Reds v Highlanders decision springs to mind.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Officiating has been frustratingly inconsistent this year, hope it doesn’t derail the test series

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From some of the wallabies social media looks like Trevor Hosea is involved with the squad currently. Maybe a few players with some injuries and he’s filling in? Or Swinton cover?
Maybe been told on stand bye for swinton.

Gees real bugger for Perese as for sure would have got a run at least some stage starting or from the bench for French

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
When was Phillip's last game? He's probably still in quarantine so they might need the extra bodies.

His last game was the 6th french time & meets up with the team on the 24th according to the story on rugby.com.au so your prob on the money about Hosea being cover for him. Although he should have been in there originally :mad:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can understand why they are contesting it. Whether it’s 4 or 6 he misses France, and if it’s 6 he can claim a couple of Shute games and in either scenario he’s back for the RC. As for the actual offence, again I can see why they are contesting it, it was stupid but I doubt it meets the red card threshold. I thought he might get a yellow, but it wasn’t a red at face value.
Gotta admit I thought different.

I thought It was one of the dumbest, most blatant reds I’ve seen. My initial reaction was actually that they should be able to give him more than 6 weeks.

After reading your comment I’ve re-watched it a couple of times. I can kind of see what your were saying, but I don’t really see why he deserves leniency. At the very least it was extremely reckless.

For his sake I hope the judiciary sees it your way - but then I would much rather they take a hard stance on reckless/dangerous play.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
With the judiciary, if you don’t contest a charge, does that work in your favour if (or in Swintons case when) you go before them again? Is there an advantage in not contesting?

Alex Ross (28)
I thought at the time it was a yellow. And I think it’s worth a challenge. I think a lot of people are making it out to be worse than it was because it was, well… Swinton. He does have form. But I think he has made huge strides on his discipline and while this was a blemish, it doesn’t erase how excellent he has been in SRTT.

Dazzling

Frank Nicholson (4)
I thought at the time it was a yellow. And I think it’s worth a challenge. I think a lot of people are making it out to be worse than it was because it was, well… Swinton. He does have form. But I think he has made huge strides on his discipline and while this was a blemish, it doesn’t erase how excellent he has been in SRTT.
Have a read of Rob Baxter (Exeter Chief DOR) comments on the suspension of Dave Ewers and Skinner in the English press. Both BBC and The Guardian have it reported. Ewers and Skinner both contested their charges like Swinton and got short changed. Baxter makes a lot of good points about too little discussion with current players about impacts and mitigation and too much bias from former players in their own issues.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sure, maybe. I agree we can all be guilty of letting pre-conceived ideas guide our perception.

I am disappointed with him this year. On the flip side I am one of the very few, IIRC, who picked him in my Wallabies team last year, so I don’t think I’m anti-Swinton.

But I look at the footage - he tries to clean him. Misses. Loads up again on the ground and drives his shoulder into his chin. Glancing blow - sure. But the way Swinton acted he took no care NOT to hit him in the chin, and it was always a high possibility of contact with the head from the position both players were in. And it was dangerous.

Maybe the problem is Swinton needs to stop doing dumb things.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Also - a couple of people have commented that thought the card as yellow. But I haven’t seen anyone disagree actual first contact with the head was red, or argue that Boshier was dropping - which he clearly wasn’t.

First contact with the head is red. The rule on that is black and white. The refs rulings on mitigation might be inconsistent but the rule it self was clear.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely contesting the sentence is a very risky play. The judiciary wouldn't want to encourage people challenging their authority by granting Swinton's appeal.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surely contesting the sentence is a very risky play. The judiciary wouldn't want to encourage people challenging their authority by granting Swinton's appeal.

He is rolling the dice trying get some test game time, another couple of weeks if he fails doesn't really matter to him, it isn't like there are other games he would be concerned about missing

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Surely you don't mean to suggest that the judiciary would consider anything other than the merits of the incident?

Does Perese get replaced then?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I still don't get why some people are suggesting Latu would make a Wallabies team and/or is better than the guys we have available. He got done for drink driving AGAIN a few months ago. And as far as I can tell he's not been playing much for Stade Français anyway. If he can't crack his club side and can't keep his booze under control, why should he even be considered for a Wallabies spot.

Add in that Beale has only ever really had form in Europe and has consistently under performed for the Wallabies (or at least has more recently), that means we are only talking about locks who would clearly be an improvement on our current squad if we allowed overseas players beyond a few guys for injury cover (Samu for instance). And even then we should be adding back Rodda shortly, Phillip has been good, and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is pretty solid.

I think all in all the two players rule is probably a good fix. Having said that I'd be okayish with the idea of allowing open selection for the WRC team with players playing in Australia being a priority (obviously the coaches should have a bias towards the players they already know and have already had in the squad playing for them etc over the past 3 years).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I still don't get why some people are suggesting Latu would make a Wallabies team and/or is better than the guys we have available. He got done for drink driving AGAIN a few months ago. And as far as I can tell he's not been playing much for Stade Français anyway. If he can't crack his club side and can't keep his booze under control, why should he even be considered for a Wallabies spot.

Add in that Beale has only ever really had form in Europe and has consistently under performed for the Wallabies (or at least has more recently), that means we are only talking about locks who would clearly be an improvement on our current squad if we allowed overseas players beyond a few guys for injury cover (Samu for instance). And even then we should be adding back Rodda shortly, Phillip has been good, and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is pretty solid.

I think all in all the two players rule is probably a good fix. Having said that I'd be okayish with the idea of allowing open selection for the WRC team with players playing in Australia being a priority (obviously the coaches should have a bias towards the players they already know and have already had in the squad playing for them etc over the past 3 years).
You could argue that only a handful of players would improve our best 23. But there are tonnes of players that would make the extended squad. I mean, Foketi made it and Kerevi exists for fuck sake.

And depth is the issue we need addressing. As everyone keeps saying. We can find 23 goodish test players in the country. It's once you need to take a step down that we immediately fall to shit.