• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
With what’s on offer
9 McDermott
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Korobiete
12 To'omua
13 Paisami
14 Wright
15 Hodge

Prefer the 6/2 with the versatility of the backline
22 Gordon (bring in Powell is a possibility)
23 Kellaway

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
To'omua has been off since the head knock at the end of Super AU. He is a beautiful player to watch when on point. We really need the experience in the backline and let’s all hope he picks up from here. He prefers the 10 jersey so let’s give him a shot if JOC (James O'Connor) isn’t playing next week. I still think he’s got more to offer than Lolesio. Rennie has stated adamantly that he prefers him at inside centre. Let’s not give up on To'omua quite yet.

He might prefer himself in the 10 jersey but I don't, and I'm not alone. I always thought he was our best 12 but it seems he has past his use by date. I'd prefer to see what 12. Paisami 13. Ikitau or 12. Foketi 13. Paisami can do assuming JOC (James O'Connor) is fit to take the reigns. If not he's probably deserved another crack as he's been a great servant to the game and he might gel better with Lolesio after a game with him already.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If JOC (James O'Connor) isn't fit I think it quite likely they will simply stick with the same backline.

To be honest I'm not sure there will be any changes to the starting 15 for game 2. Give everyone another go around to see how they go with a bit more time together. Changes will come for the last game because the turn around is just too short for everyone to back up, so that'll ease the blow for anyone "dropped" from game 2 to 3.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah stick with the same team as much as possible this series, if guys like Banks/To'omua don’t fire by the end then it’s time to look at alternatives and potentially shifting players from their current positions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Stick with most of the same team, I agree, but make improvements where you can.

For Test 2 I'd like to see :

Slipper, BPA, TT, Philip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Valetini, Hooper, Wilson, Tate, JOC (James O'Connor), Daugunu, Paisami, Ikitau, Wright, Banks.

Lonergan, Bell, AAA, Swain, Naisarani, Gordon, Lolesio, Kellaway.

Looking further ahead, we have to bear in mind that BPA, Koroibete and Naisarani must be replaced. With that in mind, I'd be looking to get Rob Leota involved and probably playing in the third test v France, and returning Daugunu to the team. Kaitu'u to get a run as soon as he's fit again.

So for the third test, at this stage barring injuries and assuming a win in No 2, I'd go something like :

Bell, Lonergan, Tupou, Swain, Timani, Leota, McReight, Wells, Tate, Lolesio, Daugunu, Paisami, Ikitau, Kellaway, Hodge.

McInerney, Slipper, Faumasili, Philip, Wilson, Lonergan, JOC (James O'Connor), Wright.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How long is gone for? He's only 28. I reckon he's 4-5 years of top level left in him.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a quick cash grab. He's got young kids and a baby, that's tough on him and his wife in Japan alone during a global pandemic away from friends/family support. I'd want to stay in Aus (assuming his wife's family is Australia based).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He has said he intends to make himself available for the RWC. It’s probably a one or two year deal and he will sign early with an Oz side to make himself eligible

Makes sense why we're using him now, I hope it's the same story with Naisarani.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Stick with most of the same team, I agree, but make improvements where you can.

For Test 2 I'd like to see :

Slipper, BPA, TT, Philip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Valetini, Hooper, Wilson, Tate, JOC (James O'Connor), Daugunu, Paisami, Ikitau, Wright, Banks.

Lonergan, Bell, AAA, Swain, Naisarani, Gordon, Lolesio, Kellaway.

Looking further ahead, we have to bear in mind that BPA, Koroibete and Naisarani must be replaced. With that in mind, I'd be looking to get Rob Leota involved and probably playing in the third test v France, and returning Daugunu to the team. Kaitu'u to get a run as soon as he's fit again.

So for the third test, at this stage barring injuries and assuming a win in No 2, I'd go something like :

Bell, Lonergan, Tupou, Swain, Timani, Leota, McReight, Wells, Tate, Lolesio, Daugunu, Paisami, Ikitau, Kellaway, Hodge.

McInerney, Slipper, Faumasili, Philip, Wilson, Lonergan, JOC (James O'Connor), Wright.
I would like to see what Foketi could offer at 12 as I think he has performed better then Ikatau this season and deserves a shot.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If JOC (James O'Connor) isn't fit I think it quite likely they will simply stick with the same backline.
I really don’t want see To’omua starting again - ok not justified to drop altogether so bench maybe but please let’s have someone who offers more in attack than To’omua offered all season

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Problem is that the halves were very shaky, Gordon and Lolesio. Throwing either Foketi or Simone in gives them less experience. Playing Perese at 13 and moving Paisami in puts a lot of pressure on him.
JOC (James O'Connor) and/or Hodge need to come in to shore up the midfield.
Ideally JOC (James O'Connor) starts at 10. This will solve a lot of problems. Hodge could also come into fullback in this case or play in the centres if JOC (James O'Connor) is not fit.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm pretty sure that I read somwhere (maybe the SMH) that Rennie intends to pick the best available team for Tuesday.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
drop Koroibete?. I don't care if he is leaving in 6 months, he is the best winger in Australia right now and has earned his starting role.
Also dropping Koroibete for exactly the same style player in Daugunu. Doesn’t make sense even if you are a believer in the totally warped logic that the way Koroibete plays is the root cause of the Wallabies’ backline problems.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Nothing against the performance of the team on Wednesday night as they showed a lot of heart but if coach Rennie wants to win the bledisloe and world cup I think some changes need to be made. I am aware that some of the players below are not available due to injury, however when they are available they should be at a minimum in the 23 to get the experience needed. Most of the players select themselves however a few left field choices need to be made and they need to start selecting overseas based players. Disclaimer I am a Waratahs supporter and have tried to be unbiased with my selections.

Taniela Tipou THP (Alan Allaalatoa bench)
Brandon Paenga Amosa Hooker (Kaituu on bench though honestly don't know much about him)
Angus Bell LHP (James Slipper bench)
Rory Anold Lock
Will Skelton Lock (Darcy Swain bench)
Michael Hooper captain for his experience though I do like Fraser McWreight but Hooper based on experience and captaincy.
Valentini. (either Hanigan or Solakia Loto on the bench based on ability to cover lock, number 8 and blindside).
Tate McDermott number 9 with Nic White on bench. Tate is the best sniper of all the Australian halves and will keep the opposition guessing. His box kicks and delivery will improve.
Tom Write as Fly half with O'Connor on the bench. Yes that is correct. I think for Australia to win the Bledisloe we need someone with the potential to be absolutely dynamic at fly half, like a Richie Mounga or Barrett. I love the second coming of James O'Connor but he has lost that speed, that edge he once had to make a clean break though has improved his composure tremendously. Wright I believe played fly half for Joeys and I feel his skills are not being utilized to the full extent on the wing. With some experience at Super Rugby level at fly half and a few tests he could be the man. The younger fly halves such as Harrison and Loesio are solid but not yet up to standard. Harrison also plays to deep which is why Donaldson looked better for the Waratahs when Harrison got injured.
Marika Koroibete wing
Hunter Pasamai number 12 with O'connor to cover from the bench
Samu Kerevi (Not sure on Kerevi as been gone for a while. Happy to give him a chance to prove himself. On the bench is Isaia Peresie as can cover the 13 and wing).
Jordan Petaia at 15. I think this would be his best position as we need someone at the back with speed, who is good under the high ball and can make a clean break so that opposition teams are hesitant to kick as much due to the ability to counter attack. Banks, Hodge, Maddocks, DHP, just don't offer enough in this position. (O'Connor to cover full back from the bench).

The one weekness we have is a bench player to cover 7 if Hooper goes down. McMahon may be useful here with Darcy Swain moving outside the 23.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nothing against the performance of the team on Wednesday night as they showed a lot of heart but if coach Rennie wants to win the bledisloe and world cup I think some changes need to be made. I am aware that some of the players below are not available due to injury, however when they are available they should be at a minimum in the 23 to get the experience needed. Most of the players select themselves however a few left field choices need to be made and they need to start selecting overseas based players. Disclaimer I am a Waratahs supporter and have tried to be unbiased with my selections.

Taniela Tipou THP (Alan Allaalatoa bench)
Brandon Paenga Amosa Hooker (Kaituu on bench though honestly don't know much about him)
Angus Bell LHP (James Slipper bench)
Rory Anold Lock
Will Skelton Lock (Darcy Swain bench)
Michael Hooper captain for his experience though I do like Fraser McWreight but Hooper based on experience and captaincy.
Valentini. (either Hanigan or Solakia Loto on the bench based on ability to cover lock, number 8 and blindside).
Tate McDermott number 9 with Nic White on bench. Tate is the best sniper of all the Australian halves and will keep the opposition guessing. His box kicks and delivery will improve.
Tom Write as Fly half with O'Connor on the bench. Yes that is correct. I think for Australia to win the Bledisloe we need someone with the potential to be absolutely dynamic at fly half, like a Richie Mounga or Barrett. I love the second coming of James O'Connor but he has lost that speed, that edge he once had to make a clean break though has improved his composure tremendously. Wright I believe played fly half for Joeys and I feel his skills are not being utilized to the full extent on the wing. With some experience at Super Rugby level at fly half and a few tests he could be the man. The younger fly halves such as Harrison and Loesio are solid but not yet up to standard. Harrison also plays to deep which is why Donaldson looked better for the Waratahs when Harrison got injured.
Marika Koroibete wing
Hunter Pasamai number 12 with O'connor to cover from the bench
Samu Kerevi (Not sure on Kerevi as been gone for a while. Happy to give him a chance to prove himself. On the bench is Isaia Peresie as can cover the 13 and wing).
Jordan Petaia at 15. I think this would be his best position as we need someone at the back with speed, who is good under the high ball and can make a clean break so that opposition teams are hesitant to kick as much due to the ability to counter attack. Banks, Hodge, Maddocks, DHP, just don't offer enough in this position. (O'Connor to cover full back from the bench).

The one weekness we have is a bench player to cover 7 if Hooper goes down. McMahon may be useful here with Darcy Swain moving outside the 23.

Wright at fly half interesting...not sure about that but interesting thought.

Petaia at fullback has to be the option to try give lack of any dynamic full back play from the banks or hodges as neither give me the thought they could be world class full back in time or offer that x factor. Jordy for sure does - not there yet but perhaps space at full back would be best position for him to get the best out of him. Time to give it a try i say.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Problem is that the halves were very shaky, Gordon and Lolesio. Throwing either Foketi or Simone in gives them less experience. Playing Perese at 13 and moving Paisami in puts a lot of pressure on him.
JOC (James O'Connor) and/or Hodge need to come in to shore up the midfield.
Ideally JOC (James O'Connor) starts at 10. This will solve a lot of problems. Hodge could also come into fullback in this case or play in the centres if JOC (James O'Connor) is not fit.

Yeh I would try 10 JOC (James O'Connor) 12 Foketi 13 Paisami 15 Banks (one more game to see if he can offer anything with Hodge on the bench)