• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tom Write as Fly half with O'Connor on the bench. Yes that is correct. I think for Australia to win the Bledisloe we need someone with the potential to be absolutely dynamic at fly half, like a Richie Mounga or Barrett. .

That is incorrect, his name is Tom Wright.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Some good ideas there, and I’m not completely opposed to experimenting with something really out there ideas like Wright at fly-half or Petaia at fullback, because the current depth in those positions is really quite bad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why would you experiment with Tom Wright there, though? better off 'experimenting' with Harrison or Gordon or something.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
That is my thoughts exactly Adam, promoting Harrison is not experimenting. In my post I said he plays to deep which is why even in an under-performing Waratahs Donaldson looked better. I must admit though Harrison is the most accurate Goal kicker in Australian Rugby at present. Not saying Harrison wouldn't develop but one must remember the best left field decision in the past 25 years in Australian Rugby was moving Larkham to fly half. Apologies for the incorrect spelling of Tom Wright. Also open to experimenting with Tom Wright at full back. I just feel Petaia would have more ability under the high ball given his height. Both of them would be excellent at counter attacking. Perhaps Wright would end up another cullen which I would be comfortable with. Giving him experience at 10 though would certainly develop his game and that way he could step in to fly half if whoever is the fly half gets caught in a ruck. The other thing is 12/13 and wing seem to be positions of strength at present with Kerevi, Ikitau, Perese and Paisami all capable of playing 12/13 for the wallabies. Outside O'Connor we are short of a world class fly half and we are obviously short of a world class full back. Playing Wright at 10 would enable both Petaia and Wright to be in the starting 15 with Koroibete and Vulavula on the wings.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Because promoting Harrison isn't really ‘experimenting’, that’s following the same logic and process that has yielded the same declining results for the past 10 years.
I fail to see how a winger with a few caps and questionable form would suddenly be a better flyhalf that Noah.

We've also tried playing blokes out of position quite a bit, you know.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I fail to see how a winger with a few caps and questionable form would suddenly be a better flyhalf that Noah.

We've also tried playing blokes out of position quite a bit, you know.

If it were a known outcome then it wouldn’t be an experiment.

yes aware they’ve tried playing guys out of positions quite a bit, some to really good effect.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How could playing an uncapped player be a known outcome? I don't follow your rationale on this at all.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
How could playing an uncapped player be a known outcome? I don't follow your rationale on this at all.
We are not saying it is a known outcome, however if the experimentation works well then Australian rugby benefits and we are more likely to beat NZ and win a world cup. We need not only composed players in the side but as many players with X-factor. It is easier to train composure than X-factor as it comes with experience. Current fly halves don't seem to have the X-factor as Barrett and Mo'unga have for the all-blacks. As I said I love the second coming of O'Connor but he has just lost that X-factor a little to make that clean break. If we continue with the current fly-halves then I feel at best and if lucky we could make the world-cup final if O'Connor stays fit. If O'Connor goes down we will be lucky to make the semi's and probably bow out in the quarter final. Winning the Bledisloe as well could also be years away if ever. In addition we could start testing Wright at Shute Shield level, then super rugby level. But this depends on whether coaches and clubs buy into it. This is one of the many ways NZ rugby is different. The interest of the international team is first and foremost before super rugby and club rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

It’s not about the player its about the process, following the same process which has yielded the same results for the past 10-20 years of Super Rugby isn’t experimentation, I’m not saying its wrong to promote someone from the position they player at Super Rugby to the same position at test level, but as a process it has a predictable outcome with only a margin of variability.

Shifting someone to a position they haven’t played at Super Rugby level is an experiment.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm happy for Wright to get a run at fly half after either 1) the Brumbies play him there, or 2) a couple of seasons at fullback in a playmaking role. I'm not opposed to the latter given that Banks hasn't stepped up any of his 11 tests. Wright may have been a fly half at school, but after a couple of seasons on the wing, and a couple of seasons in the NRL he simply won't have the nous to play there at test level. I notice you are a Warringah supporter Overtime, I wonder if you also follow Manly in the NRL?

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes, about the only time I watch the NRL is if Manly are playing as I am much more a rugby man now having played the rugby at school and then on at Uni. I grew up at Bayview Heights on the Northern Beaches. I use to go down and watch the rats play as a young kid. I live in Melbourne and miss Rat park and Brookvale oval much.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't mind Wright at fullback at all, it's worth a shot.
The only problem there is he doesn’t play there at Super Rugby. I think the fact Banks isn’t much of a winger means the Brumbies aren’t likely to experiment with shifting players. Would love to see him at 15 too, he could be a revelation.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The only problem there is he doesn’t play there at Super Rugby. I think the fact Banks isn’t much of a winger means the Brumbies aren’t likely to experiment with shifting players. Would love to see him at 15 too, he could be a revelation.

With Maddocks leaving he should have moved back to Sydney ;). I don’t think it’s that big an issue if he’s playing 14 for the Brumbies as it’s virtually a second fullback role these days.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
With Maddocks leaving he should have moved back to Sydney ;). I don’t think it’s that big an issue if he’s playing 14 for the Brumbies as it’s virtually a second fullback role these days.
Agreed. Would have loved him to be with the Tahs. But it’d be nice to see him at 15 for the Brums before playing there v ABs. I think he’d be fantastic there, he has everything you want at fb and his ballplaying would be handy as another playmaking option to take pressure off all these good young 5/8ths coming through.