• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Do Valetini and Wilson have a bit of trouble getting back into the starting team now? I thought Swinton and Naisarani were excellent. Supported by a great team effort mind you, but still. I felt they looked a bit faster and more agile, without losing any of the grunt. It was absolutely wonderful seeing Naisarani win a crucial turnover too - I’d like to see more of it, from our back row in particular.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They are correct. It's only updated once a week so the movement includes two tests.

The starting points are correct but firstly, Australia drops to 82.56 and France rises to 84.80 after the 2nd test.

Then Australia goes up to 83.48 and France drops to 83.88 (but remains above Australia in the rankings).

Correct, I thought they'd updated after T2 but clearly they hadn't.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Will we see any of the fringe Wallabies this season?

I think we've seen a enough already

Even in the recent 3 tests we had fringe guys come back into the fold/get named/make their cases (Uelese, Bell, Naisarani, Daugunu, Mcdermott) and a number of debutants (Lonergan, Swain, Ikitau, Kellaway) with a couple more debuts scuttled by injury (Kaituu, Vunivalu)

Bring back the more regular guys who were absent in that series - Sio, Rodda, White, JOC (James O'Connor) & Petaia, and it pushes those who were recently promoted to fringe status back to the standard Super Rugby pool.

Not sure what other fringe wallabies we need to see apart from Pone as he is the 3rd choice THP - the Loosehead side has 3 good options now.

I don't think these guys will ever get a shot and or/ won't see them for a little while yet.
Wells, Foketi, Muirhead, Lonergan, Hosea, Simone or Leota

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do Valetini and Wilson have a bit of trouble getting back into the starting team now? I thought Swinton and Naisarani were excellent. Supported by a great team effort mind you, but still. I felt they looked a bit faster and more agile, without losing any of the grunt. It was absolutely wonderful seeing Naisarani win a crucial turnover too - I’d like to see more of it, from our back row in particular.

Valetini has a harder battle than Wilson. Propped by the fact that Valetini was quite poor in his 2 starts, whereas the other 3 were good.

If there was a game next week I would swap out Valetini altogether and bring Wilson off the bench. Though in a few weeks time? Not sure.

You mention a bit faster and agile, but what I really saw was the fact that Swinton and Naisarani are both very physically strong players. Far more effective in 'owning space' around the breakdowns. Valetini is strong obviously but looked shaken when he got smacked, so hopefully not a flat track bully. Wilson is full of beans but still can get pushed around in the tight stuff by more physical players at test level and will continue to do so until he hits the same weight but with muscle & less cushion like the other 3. I think Wilsons more workrate/dynamic style of play would work better behind a couple locks who take care of the tight stuff, like Arnold and Skelton. But atm our locks, whilst solid, aren't physically dominating their opponents either so our backrow must be. This will become more obvious when we play the monsters, the likes of Snyman, Dejager, Etzebeth, Rettalick and Lavanini.

I think we need the power of Swinton and Naisarani so we don't get physically bullied.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
You mention a bit faster and agile, but what I really saw was the fact that Swinton and Naisarani are both very physically strong players. Far more effective in 'owning space' around the breakdowns. Valetini is strong obviously but looked shaken when he got smacked, so hopefully not a flat track bully. Wilson is full of beans but still can get pushed around in the tight stuff by more physical players at test level and will continue to do so until he hits the same weight but with muscle & less cushion like the other 3. I think Wilsons more workrate/dynamic style of play would work better behind a couple locks who take care of the tight stuff, like Arnold and Skelton. But atm our locks, whilst solid, aren't physically dominating their opponents either so our backrow must be. This will become more obvious when we play the monsters, the likes of Snyman, Dejager, Etzebeth, Rettalick and Lavanini.

I think we need the power of Swinton and Naisarani so we don't get physically bullied.

This is spot on. I think Swinton and Naisarani were a big reason why the Wallabies got their cleanest ball for the series on Sat night. Looked to be a better balanced back row, suited for the tight physical battle the French gave us. One major aspect is the ages IMO. Swinton at 24 compared to Valetini 22 and Isi 26 to Wilson 21, they just looked a bit more battle hardened. Having said that I thought Valetini added something off the bench, his carry in the lead up to BPA's no try was superb. Very interesting which way they go for the Bledisloe as big Haz has the runs on the board after some good outings last year. Great problems to have for Rennie and co

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Valetini has a harder battle than Wilson. Propped by the fact that Valetini was quite poor in his 2 starts, whereas the other 3 were good.

If there was a game next week I would swap out Valetini altogether and bring Wilson off the bench. Though in a few weeks time? Not sure.

I’d guess that Swinton played his way into being the preferred starting 6, Wilson has a firm hold on number 8 and Valentini is a perfect bench option. Naisarani and McReight very good options in case of injury.
Naisarani has a lot of power but lacks the linking abilities of a well rounded 8. Hes a bit predictable, as is Swinton. I don’t think you need two such players in a back row if your tight 5 are up to scratch, which ours appear to be.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Swinton was the biggest difference maker for me in that third test. But I feel like his temperament may cause problems, I really hope not though.

It's a bit like waiting for an NRL player to break the bio-bubble, you know it'll happen, it's just when and how badly.

The unfortunate scenario for Swinton is he's got runs on the board with the judicial boards, so even lesser infringements can cause more severe suspensions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think we've seen a enough already

Even in the recent 3 tests we had fringe guys come back into the fold/get named/make their cases (Uelese, Bell, Naisarani, Daugunu, Mcdermott) and a number of debutants (Lonergan, Swain, Ikitau, Kellaway) with a couple more debuts scuttled by injury (Kaituu, Vunivalu)

Bring back the more regular guys who were absent in that series - Sio, Rodda, White, JOC (James O'Connor) & Petaia, and it pushes those who were recently promoted to fringe status back to the standard Super Rugby pool.

Not sure what other fringe wallabies we need to see apart from Pone as he is the 3rd choice THP - the Loosehead side has 3 good options now.

I don't think these guys will ever get a shot and or/ won't see them for a little while yet.
Wells, Foketi, Muirhead, Lonergan, Hosea, Simone or Leota

Its quite a long test season this year, assuming all goes ahead as planned. I think we will see a lot of blokes we might not otherwise. Daugunu is likely gone for the year so I think that makes a start from someone like Muirhead or Kellaway somewhat more likely.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Its quite a long test season this year, assuming all goes ahead as planned. I think we will see a lot of blokes we might not otherwise. Daugunu is likely gone for the year so I think that makes a start from someone like Muirhead or Kellaway somewhat more likely.

I do hope we see Kellaway again, super sucks Daugunu is out. Though with Vunivalu, Hodge and Petaia back in teh squad (probably), there won't be room for both Muirhead and Kellaway.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The theatrics should not have an effect on whether there was contact with the head, it would be nice if the theatrics got a warning about sportsman like play.

They will eventually have to bring in a rule against simulation like in football, though that rule is essentially never used/enforced.

A mate pointed out to me that Football improved after they brought in tougher rules against hacking - even though it meant diving became a part of the sport. A distinct decline in career ending leg-breakers and more flowing football.

Though it's seen as very un-rugby-like I think diving will also inevitably become part of the sport as we seek to protect players brains.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Nick Sanchez has been flopping on the ground for over a decade so it's nothing new.

I don't think a law is required, but, for flippers, they need to be educated at how dangerous of a precident they're setting. If Refs think someone isn't really injured and play continues, the floppers could result in treatment not given to their fellow players quickly.

Looking at football, those who actively don't go down at the slightest touch are also penalised because the Refs think there wasn't contact, so they don't blow their whistle when a legitimate penalty could have been awarded.

I guess you could say it's similar to removing the rucking rule. Taking away some player power to help address poor behaviour in a game isn't always the solution.

It was evident the players knew the French 8 wasn't hurt and Lukhan even checked on his head during the post game handshakes. Personally, if I was playing the French next, I'd be vocalising this to the Refs both in the public presser and privately.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
RE our selections at 6 and 8.

The biggest difference between the 4 for me is Wilson's line breaking ability. The other 3 just dont have that.
In the second test, that part of Wilson's game was shut down, and the two selected for the decider absolutely matched the kind of game the French wanted to play.

However, it won't always be like that. And you need at least one of your 6/8 to be offer something as a running threat.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RE our selections at 6 and 8.

The biggest difference between the 4 for me is Wilson's line breaking ability. The other 3 just dont have that.
In the second test, that part of Wilson's game was shut down, and the two selected for the decider absolutely matched the kind of game the French wanted to play.

However, it won't always be like that. And you need at least one of your 6/8 to be offer something as a running threat.

Valetini or Naisrani don't offer a running threat?