• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We played a tighter game in the third test, didn't spread the ball wide as often with no real front-foot momentum and subsequently didn't expose ourselves at the breakdown as much.

It was clearly better test match rugby.

I definitely think that helped push the cases of guys like Swinton and Naisarani relative to Valetini and Wilson. No doubt the former two played well but they were also presented with a game plan that was more likely to succeed.

Undoubtedly there would seem to be a sizable gap between our top 4 6/8 options and the rest by virtue of them all playing pretty well and no one else having an opportunity yet. Unless there are some injuries it will be hard for someone else to get a look in.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Perception is an interesting thing - I just went back through Wilon's carry and metres numbers for France tests and TRC last year... and i'm ready to admit he doesnt seem to get as much freedom as he does in SRAu or SRTT. And of course its Test rugby so it's not going to be as open a game. There was one game v NZ last year where he racked up some decent metres. I probably still have my Super Rugby glasses on!

looking back through the French and TRC tests it really highlighted that the stats for metres gained, clean breaks and defenders beaten are really low for all the 4 backrowers mentioned.

however, Hooper piles on the clean breaks etc... so for a balanced backrow maybe we ignore the one that might have potential for a clean break out wide (as wilson does in Super Rugby) and go for the ruck monsters.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
True, they are excellent at busting tackles and going through defenders....

Wilson is probably more threatening in open space, while also generally being a strong carrier of the ball.
Yes, he’s a true linkman who interplays well in the wider channels with the outside backs as well as in close with the halves and other forwards. Hes also a very good defender and he understands what is required in the tight.

We are lucky to all of a sudden have these options.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We played a tighter game in the third test, didn't spread the ball wide as often with no real front-foot momentum and subsequently didn't expose ourselves at the breakdown as much.

It was clearly better test match rugby.

An unexpected positive of losing your two front line wingers in the first 5 minutes. No heater skelter flinging it wide stuff.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
2021 Bledisloe Cup Series
New Zealand v Wallabies, Saturday 7 August at Eden Park, Auckland at 5.05pm AEST*

Wallabies’ fixtures in eToro Rugby Championship
Wallabies v New Zealand, Saturday 21 August at Optus Stadium, Perth at 6.00pm AWST*
New Zealand v Wallabies, Saturday 28 August at Sky Stadium, Wellington at 5.05pm AEST*
South Africa v Wallabies, Sunday 12 September at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney at 3.00pm AEST
Wallabies v South Africa, Saturday 18 September at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane at 3.00pm AEST
Wallabies v Argentina, Saturday 25 September at McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle at 7.45pm AEST
Argentina v Wallabies, Saturday 2 October at GIO Stadium in Canberra at 8pm AEST

Just play them all at Suncorp for the wins.

Reactions: gel

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I was completely wrong, I never thought there would have been 20k to a tue night test in Melbourne. The energy was very good as well. Best I've been at since the RWC 2003 game v Ireland at the dome.

I was there that night sitting with some paddy mates and agree it was a memorable night. I went to the Australia vs Ireland International rules game the night before too. great times.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Valetini or Naisrani don't offer a running threat?

The forgotten man is Pete Samu. He makes more line breaks than any of the others, especially now that Wilson seems to be required to play tighter.

Having said that, I don't think Pete replaces any of the four being discussed, but he ought to be in the mix when fit again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Couldn't have written a better outcome for the Wallabies really. Stirring performance amd they get their best attacking player back.

Reactions: TSR

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Nick Sanchez has been flopping on the ground for over a decade so it's nothing new.

I don't think a law is required, but, for flippers, they need to be educated at how dangerous of a precident they're setting. If Refs think someone isn't really injured and play continues, the floppers could result in treatment not given to their fellow players quickly.

Looking at football, those who actively don't go down at the slightest touch are also penalised because the Refs think there wasn't contact, so they don't blow their whistle when a legitimate penalty could have been awarded.

I guess you could say it's similar to removing the rucking rule. Taking away some player power to help address poor behaviour in a game isn't always the solution.

It was evident the players knew the French 8 wasn't hurt and Lukhan even checked on his head during the post game handshakes. Personally, if I was playing the French next, I'd be vocalising this to the Refs both in the public presser and privately.

It wouldn't be hard for the Video Ref to review each time a player grabs a supposed injury and see if the "injury" is consistent with the point of contact.

I would be happy with fines for the team and also the player.

I want the game to stop for injuries to ensure the safety of players, but hate when a player grabs their head when the point of contact was nowhere near where they are grabbing

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Is Wilson actually that much of a running threat at test level? I'd be interested to see a breakdown in the stats between the four backrowers.

I think Wilson's game has changed significantly to ensure possession of the ball, I have no stats to back up my observations so I may be wrong.

In his first season he appeared to approach a defender and then at the point of contact try to gain multiple metres after contact before trying to present the ball. This inevitably led to making more metres but also a higher risk of losing of possession which did happen compared to his current play.

This season I think he is considering the presentation of the ball prior to contact and begins to turn to present the ball a step out from contact which reduces the total metres gained but ensures a better retention of possession.

I don't think his intention is to run over EVERY defender like it used to be, he picks the situation where this is required but has matured to realise the value of possession.