• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The locks selected have all been in good form. Frost is the only only who may have not played better at super rugby level than Hosea, but he is clearly a talent on the rise and did play some very good games during the season.

I don’t deny Hosea’s talent, and I would have been happy to see him in there, but I don’t see any issues with the players selected. Isn’t it a good think that in 3-4 years we’ve had a large chunk of talent come through in a position where we’ve been weak for some time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’ve always rated Duncan. I think he should of got a wallaby shot before this. In saying that he wasn’t at his best in his last year at the Reds. As others have suggested, he benefits from being in Brisbane and being an experienced playmaker while JOC (James O'Connor) is injured.

But perhaps he’s also there because he actually plays a bit like Richie Mounga and he can play that role on opposed training sessions?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree with that Reg. His second last year at the Reds I thought he was really kicking on, but his last year he couldn’t back it up. We need to build depth at 10 and it throws someone else into the mix at least.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
He’s at the right age where if Rennie sees him playing a role for the Wallabies, it makes sense to get him involved now.

So does it mean he’s going to be playing Super Rugby? I see he’s listed as Toulon in the announcement. Possibly coming back to the Reds?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Agree with that Reg. His second last year at the Reds I thought he was really kicking on, but his last year he couldn’t back it up. We need to build depth at 10 and it throws someone else into the mix at least.
I expect he’d have looked pretty good behind the current Reds pack and outside JOC (James O'Connor).

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
DP
- New law (can selected 2 with less then 60 caps)
- Is experienced campaigner now (52 top tier caps), fills the middle ground between old heads and young gun.
- Was already in Queensland
- offers 10/12 depth with injury concerns in that area and it's a LONG campaign
- could lead him to be a Super Rugby target for 2023 & onwards.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Agree also, looked really good in second last year for Reds and should/could have earned test caps then, but his last years form was pretty average and wasn’t disappointed to see him leave

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Simone dropped it looks like after coming in as injury cover

Sucks for Simone. IMO clearly our second best 12 now that To'omua has fallen off. Harsh that he probably wont get a second chance after Sydney (bench cameo aside). Doubly harsh he loses a spot to DP.