• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On a seperate note, I get that COVID is going to through a fair few extra obstacles to negotiate. But a 42 player tour squad has to be the biggest they’ve taken for a long time. What an experience for some of these young guys.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On a seperate note, I get that COVID is going to through a fair few extra obstacles to negotiate. But a 42 player tour squad has to be the biggest they’ve taken for a long time. What an experience for some of these young guys.

I'm wondering if the contingency plan is a tour match on the middle couple of weekends. Say v the Maori ABs, or North or South, or even just against a provincial side. Wouldn't be the worst idea, good old fashioned tour.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
It’s not really a choice over Hodge, To'omua or Paia’aua though. It’s a product of who is available to take who will be able to slot in if Lolesio, To'omua, Paia’aua & Hodge all become unavailable due to injury, bearing in mind they won’t be able to call someone in between tests. If that happens, it’s a choice between playing Cooper or playing someone like Nic White out of position.

I don't think it will take all of those injured and be unavailable to play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think it will take all of those injured and be unavailable to play.

I think at best, Cooper would be the fourth choice 10 in the squad behind JOC (James O'Connor), Lolesio and Hodge. Probably 5th choice behind To'omua as well.

This has happened because there is no ability to call in players who are in NSW or Victoria and the option was presumably between Cooper and Carter Gordon.

I would think Rennie has zero intention of picking Cooper or Paia'aua unless there are a raft of injuries. That's why we've taken a 42 player squad. We have no options outside of the players we are sending over initially.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Shit if things were that desperate i'd call up Isaac Lucas or Sam Green before calling up Carter Gordon, they're both back in Queensland after the Top League seasons

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I would think Rennie has zero intention of picking Cooper or Paia'aua unless there are a raft of injuries. That's why we've taken a 42 player squad. We have no options outside of the players we are sending over initially.

JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua seem to be busted, with no cover at Fullback, I'd say there's a real chance that we'll see Quade in the 23.

Quade and Marika could be a pretty lethal combination - Marika and Digby share a lot of common traits and we've seen Marika or Hunter coming back on the inside has worked for us.

Aslong as Quade isn't the goal kicker, I'm not too phased if he's in the 23.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua seem to be busted, with no cover at Fullback, I'd say there's a real chance that we'll see Quade in the 23.

Quade and Marika could be a pretty lethal combination - Marika and Digby share a lot of common traits and we've seen Marika or Hunter coming back on the inside has worked for us.

Aslong as Quade isn't the goal kicker, I'm not too phased if he's in the 23.

Surely we're more likely to see Duncan P as opposed to Quade in the 23 purely for the fact that he's played more recent high level rugby in the Top 14.

I have no doubt that Quade is still more skilled than nearly everyone in the extended squad and will be an asset on the training paddock, however I'm not sure he's in physical condition to handle the rigours of test match rugby.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely we're more likely to see Duncan P as opposed to Quade in the 23 purely for the fact that he's played more recent high level rugby in the Top 14.

I have no doubt that Quade is still more skilled than nearly everyone in the extended squad and will be an asset on the training paddock, however I'm not sure he's in physical condition to handle the rigours of test match rugby.

He's definitely kept in shape, not sure if it's test level shape though. Probably not. Would be hilarious though if he came off the bench to jink our way to victory.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He's definitely kept in shape, not sure if it's test level shape though. Probably not. Would be hilarious though if he came off the bench to jink our way to victory.

If he did. It would be more than hilarious, it would be time to wake up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

It would be funnier for the kiwis if we played him and we got flogged.....

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be funnier for the kiwis if we played him and we got flogged...
Better still if we played him and he tore them up. It would not surprise to see him on the bench at some point to back up Lolesio seeing that JOC (James O'Connor) is not on the plane.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Better still if we played him and he tore them up. It would not surprise to see him on the bench at some point to back up Lolesio seeing that JOC (James O'Connor) is not on the plane.

Play him against the Argies and not the All Blacks - he's probably still more than good enough to handle them.

We need a Quade redemption arc.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely no one really expects Quade to play. He's been playing Div 2 in Japan. He's fit, has been in QLD and is an experienced player, I think it makes sense to bring him along with the squad considering they're taking everyone and their dog, but more as a training player.

Lolesio will remain first choice 10 now until JOC (James O'Connor) is back. My biggest criticism of Lolesio has been his lack of confidence and authority with the backline. Quade may not have been the most amazing 10 to play for the Wobs, but he was able to overcome some first year jitters and steer the team around well during his prime. I think having him in Lolesio's corner will help his confidence.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With regard to pecking order as far as I understand, he isn’t in the playing squad. He is part of the coaching staff. It has been flagged he has capability to play in need, but I’m assuming all the options on the squad would be used first. Maybe that’s wrong, but they’ve obviously been talking to him for a while. If he was in front of Paia’aua as an option I assume he would have been named in the squad.

With regards to his record v NZ - yes, it’s crap. Like every other Australian player. Do we think he’ll handle the pressure worse than an alternate 5th string 10? He does have 70 tests and some of them were quite good.