• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
First choice has to be 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 12. To'omua. The rest fit in around.
Dunno if I like both on the field. Would rather 10. To'omua/JOC (James O'Connor) 12. Paisami

Why not:
9. White 10. To'omua 11. Koroibete 12. Paisami 13. Petaia/Ikitau 14. Daugunu 15. JOC (James O'Connor) 22. Tate 23. Hodge

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If I was Rennie, I'd be targeting one of (Tom Wright, Mark Nawaqanitawase, and Jordan Petaia) as the long-term fullback/s. Every other back-three winger/2nd fullback in the country looks bang average.

But these guys have it all: Size, height, long-levers, flair, athleticism, speed. The complete package.

One doesn't seem to have much talent or a hell of a lot of ticker.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dunno if I like both on the field. Would rather 10. To'omua/JOC (James O'Connor) 12. Paisami

Why not:
9. White 10. To'omua 11. Koroibete 12. Paisami 13. Petaia/Ikitau 14. Daugunu 15. JOC (James O'Connor) 22. Tate 23. Hodge

Because Paisami is much better at 13 and there is. O way Petaia gets in over JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
atm I'd be going: based on current form in close to regular positions

9. White 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Paisami 14. Daugunu 15. Banks
21. Mcdermott 22. Hodge 23. Petaia

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Because Paisami is much better at 13 and there is. O way Petaia gets in over JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua.

Rennie and his team have some thinking to do. Fabulous opportunity. You'd expect that under the circumstances the talent is good enough and sufficient in numbers - they might first consider how they want to play then make selections to that.

Paisami is a great 13, but I really think he is turning 12 into a home. To'omua in the mean time is proving to be a great 10. So is JOC (James O'Connor). And I don't think the 12-13 discussion stops there. Simone and Ikitau can not be discounted.

I'd add Stewart to that list but apparently he is an answer to a specific question that the WBs don't need to ask. Suspect he is easily the first ruled out. Pity.

The other battle to watch are the loose forwards. Like many, especially many Reds fans, I had thought this area would progressively and inevitably be dominated by the Reds. The Brumbies put heed to that in the last game. Reds looses are going to want to stand up a lot better the next time they meet.

Front row and halves are less controversial. Second row lacks the same strength so also may end up a debate. 9 White, done.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not really sure what your concern was with the Reds backrow last week. McReight was best on ground for mine. Valetini was great too and better than ASY (Angus Scott-Young), but Angus was still very good. Both the 8s were good. I thought Wilson was better than Samu in the second half and contributed strongly to the win. I thought Cusack, Valetini & Samu were great. IMO McReight, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wilson were slightly better, but even if people disagree I can’t see how there was much in it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
At least I feel good about the players we have in all positions except full back as great to see lot of players in form. I also agree paisami ahead of ikatau who latter had strong early games but paisami more and more playing intelligent attractive football in attack and been very strong defender.

To me hodge is a great bench utility option and also for his long range kicking which late in the game where chance to have a 50m penalty taken by him can’t be understimated as extra value. I still have hodge as one of first backs on the bench for his utility value.

At this stage I am thinking yes we need to trial Wright and Pataitia at fullback. Banks and Campbell make the wallaby squad and if in training they are still looking better then petiatia or Wright probably one of them but let’s see how other options also look at fullback.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’m not really sure what your concern was with the Reds backrow last week. McReight was best on ground for mine. Valetini was great too and better than ASY (Angus Scott-Young), but Angus was still very good. Both the 8s were good. I thought Wilson was better than Samu in the second half and contributed strongly to the win. I thought Cusack, Valetini & Samu were great. IMO McReight, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wilson were slightly better, but even if people disagree I can’t see how there was much in it.
I probably have Hardwick up with mcreight this season...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I’ve been a sceptic of the Valetini hype in recent years, he is playing much better this year and and living up to that standard, but he still does some really lazy things which baffle me. In the lead up to Vunivalus try he never broke from a slow jog, whilst Reds back towers ran past him in support of the eventual try. He needs to address that kind of laziness, you can’t switch off in test rugby.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Not concern on our back row, just recognition that under game conditions they were not as good as the Brumbies. As always it is about what you see in the game rather than the stats, but let's look at both. In the game I saw an easily dominant Brumbies built in no small part by their loose forwards. Yes other elements as well but we are focused on the loose forwards here. This only overturned as the Red scrum dominance came to be over the Brumbies #3 front row.

Let's take a look at some stats to see if it bears out. Prior to the Brumby game, on average our loose forwards made 9.3 runs each, with each run on average making 3.1m. Against the Brumbies they made on average 8.3 runs each for 0.44m. The difference is stark as is the impact for set up from the halves and the backline.

I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was deep, deeper than usual. it's not hard to see why.

I remain confident in that back row, very confident. But the Brumby fan claim that the Brumbies are better was, in my mind, proven correct.

To be fair the tackle count stats remain pretty similar comparing past performance against the Brumbies. There is possibly not a lot in it on a comparative basis, but our back row did not perform the same role with the same effectiveness against the Brumbies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I probably have Hardwick up with mcreight this season.
I think Hardwick has been great. For me, McReight has taken another step forward and is the pick of them. He just seems the most well rounded of all of them. Reminds me of George Smith in style whereas Hardwick is more a Phil Waugh (not that there is anything wrong with that). But maybe that’s just my Red tinged glasses.

I also really rate Tom Cusack. I think he’s an outstanding 7.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not concern on our back row, just recognition that under game conditions they were not as good as the Brumbies. As always it is about what you see in the game rather than the stats, but let's look at both. In the game I saw an easily dominant Brumbies built in no small part by their loose forwards. Yes other elements as well but we are focused on the loose forwards here. This only overturned as the Red scrum dominance came to be over the Brumbies #3 front row.

Let's take a look at some stats to see if it bears out. Prior to the Brumby game, on average our loose forwards made 9.3 runs each, with each run on average making 3.1m. Against the Brumbies they made on average 8.3 runs each for 0.44m. The difference is stark as is the impact for set up from the halves and the backline.

I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was deep, deeper than usual. it's not hard to see why.

I remain confident in that back row, very confident. But Brumby fans claim that the Brumbies are better was, in my mind, proven correct.

To be fair the tackle count stats remain pretty similar comparing past performance against the Brumbies. There is possibly not a lot in it on a comparative basis, but our back row did not perform the same role with the same effectiveness against the Brumbies.
That’s all fair. Certainly the Brumbies backrow is great. I’ve always been a fan of Samu & Cusack. I’ve been open my sceptical of Valetini - actually no, that’s not true. I really rated Valetini as a young player but I last year he got talked up by some when, personally, I thought he needed a lot of work. This year he has improved a lot IMO. I agree with Adam’s comments above. There are times when I see him in play just standing there and I think ‘WTF’ but he brings a level of physicality none of the other 6s/8s can match. And his workrate is much better this year. Plus he is being used in the lineout, even if it is sparingly.

I thought I remembered earlier in the week you thought the Brumbies backrow belted the Reds back row. I was probably responding to that as much as your post above. But maybe it wasn’t you that said that, or maybe it’s a bit out of context. But I think the central point your making is that there is genuine competition for spots and I agree with that.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I was probably responding to that as much as your post above. But maybe it wasn’t you that said that, or maybe it’s a bit out of context. But I think the central point your making is that there is genuine competition for spots and I agree with that.

Yes it was me, perhaps a little emotional outburst at the recognition that my favourite back row did not dominate.

To be clear, I still don't like Valetini, and I still find Cusack over-rated. And I'll still back Wilson in the long term against Samu. Right now though, I think the decks are stacked to the Brumbies.

Reactions: TSR

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
On form, Petaia doesn’t get a look in. Neither does Hodge.

Could do Lolesio but he is only a 10 and youve already got 2 out there.
Ikitau an option but only a 13, paisami could shift in.

Not many outside backs in form sooo could do

22. Ikitau 23. Vunivalu

To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) cover each other, Paisami covers 12, Vunivalu covers wings, JOC (James O'Connor) cover Fullback?

Between Hodge and Petaia, everything covered.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The other battle to watch are the loose forwards. Like many, especially many Reds fans, I had thought this area would progressively and inevitably be dominated by the Reds. The Brumbies put heed to that in the last game. Reds looses are going to want to stand up a lot better the next time they meet.
I think the Brumbies and the Reds loose forwards will compliment each other well. McReight and Valetini on either side, Samu off the bench. A backrow to match any in the world, possibly.

Haven't seen as much from Wilson this season so there might be opportunity there for Naisarani to come back into contention once he takes the field.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think the Brumbies and the Reds loose forwards will compliment each other well. McReight and Valetini on either side, Samu off the bench. A backrow to match any in the world, possibly.

Haven't seen as much from Wilson this season so there might be opportunity there for Naisarani to come back into contention once he takes the field.

It's not the WB back row that I want to see, but you are probably right.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper will be available. As much as I love McReight I think he’ll still be first choice 7. I expect McReight to get a couple of opportunities though.