• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fair enough then.

I've definitely seen those tackles where you lead with the shoulder and 'wrap' a bit with your arm down low penalised. Owen Farrell special. But haven't rewatched it so whatever.

Reactions: TSR

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Petaia was not penalised
Refs clearly said "Jordy is fine"

Tupou was penalised for high tackle as his arm was above the shoulder/on top of the shoulder - no card

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair enough then.

I've definitely seen those tackles where you lead with the shoulder and 'wrap' a bit with your arm down low penalised. Owen Farrell special. But haven't rewatched it so whatever.
It was close, I agree. If the TV had shown clear contact with the head, whole different outcome.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Couple of players this round made me update my Wallaby 23.

1. Sio
2. Mafi BPA
3. Tupou
4. Phillips
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valentini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10 JOC (James O'Connor) (c)
11. Koriobete
12 To’omua
13. Ikatau Petaia
14. Petaia Vunivalu (not there yet but will be by time tests come around0
15. Hodge / Wright
16. F’aingai/Mafi
17. Slipper
18. 3A's
19. Hosea / Rodda
20. Samu/ Hanigan
21. Paisami
22. Tate
23. Muirhead/ Wright / Hodge

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Samu is not as effective at test level. We need a bigger body there and Wilson is locked in for the foreseeable future. Naisarani pales in comparison to both.
I’d have Samu as a bench option in the squad. Hes a great person to have at 6 or 8 to close out games.

I agree to an extent. I like Samu at 7 for test level if he's starting. Or as you mentioned off the bench.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He would be great on attack at 12 but he would get destroyed in defense.

I am glad we have more options emerging (barring injuries) then Noah and Simone as with all due respect neither look ready for Wallaby duty just quite yet. Give another season or two for Noah and as for Simone I don't really think he ever will be wallaby ready personally and bit over hyped for yet another player who plays ok at super rugby suddenly being wallaby ready.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I am glad we have more options emerging (barring injuries) then Noah and Simone as with all due respect neither look ready for Wallaby duty just quite yet. Give another season or two for Noah and as for Simone I don't really think he ever will be wallaby ready personally and bit over hyped for yet another player who plays ok at super rugby suddenly being wallaby ready.

I agree. But I think we have some solid options. I'm loving the look of Paisami at 12, he's getting better and better each game.
I think To'omua would be the first choice starter, assuming he is not at 10. Hodge always a decent option there too.

Kerevi coild return too.

I think it's Hamish Stewart at 12 at the Reds? He's a solid option too is just unfortunate he is at the same team as Paisami.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Harsh on Simone IMO.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Couple of players this round made me update my Wallaby 23.

1. Sio
2. Mafi BPA
3. Tupou
4. Phillips
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valentini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10 JOC (James O'Connor) (c)
11. Koriobete
12 To’omua
13. Ikatau Petaia
14. Petaia Vunivalu (not there yet but will be by time tests come around0
15. Hodge / Wright
16. F’aingai/Mafi
17. Slipper
18. 3A's
19. Hosea / Rodda
20. Samu/ Hanigan
21. Paisami
22. Tate
23. Muirhead/ Wright / Hodge

I think I'd have To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) in a wrestle for 10. Only one makes the 23, both to bring through the next 10. 12 I can't pass Paisami. I don't think Petaia at 13 is as a solid a pick as Paisami at 12, but he is definitely getting there.

On return and if fit and in form, politics aside, Rodda starts.

I would definitely have BPA, but think it's premature for there to be anything like a concuss of the matter.

I would agree at Hodge for 15 IF he was playing there. I think he should be, but he isn't. So utility bench for him. Which leaves 15 the most open. In turn means why not Hodge?

I also think that Powell may give Tate a run for 21.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think I'd have To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) in a wrestle for 10. Only one makes the 23, both to bring through the next 10. .

Why do we need to start blooding the next generation? At this point I'd think JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua are likely to be our 10-12 at the next World Cup, so lets get them as many minutes together as possible.

I think we will see a lot of continuity from 2020 in selections this year. A lot of Rennie's picks have been franked by this seasons form, so he won't be changing much.

The interesting spots will be lock (Rodda?), blindside (Swinton? Valetini?) and fullback.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd steer clear of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) until he can prove he can consistently tackle legally. He's a liability and I'd bench him for the Reds.

We need it confirmed whether TT and 2021 Bledisloe tests will be played under World Rugby laws or Super Rugby Aotearoa laws.

https:// twitter.com /StanSportAU/status/1373488867769077762

There have been some absolutely farcical non-decisions by referees over there.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Why do we need to start blooding the next generation? At this point I'd think JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua are likely to be our 10-12 at the next World Cup, so lets get them as many minutes together as possible.

Unless To'omua finds whoever strapped Tom Carter up, I'd be nervous To'omua will actually be fit enough to play more than a handful of games with JOC (James O'Connor) in 2023.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I don't see either as our best 12, right now, let alone as the other 12s develop toward the RWC. In terms of 10, I think it is too important a position to allow a hiatus to develop where the next guy has been ignored for years. Both JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua will fade away much at the same time - unless they pull out earlier. I know it is not an immanent situation but it should not be left in the "don't care at the moment" basket.

On current form Paisami would be 12, and possibly To'omua 10. No doubt it will be battled by plenty of others prior to the RWC.

The interesting spots will be lock (Rodda?), blindside (Swinton? Valetini?) and fullback.

Completely agree on this.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
6 is interesting. You have Valentini, Swinton, Wright, Samu and Wilson who have all played there recently and then you have a second tier of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Anstee, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Lee Warner, Kemeny......is there anyone else?
We are well stocked with quality back rowers right now!