• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't see either as our best 12, right now, let alone as the other 12s develop toward the RWC.

I think the glimpse we had of JOC (James O'Connor)-To'omua as a 10/12 was really enticing and I think it's the option Rennie will go with if both are fit. Experienced, skilful, good defenders, good kicking games. Combine that with White and you've got a really experienced backline taking shape.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep last year the Wallabies looked best with both on the field. Given their form this year i think Rennie will start with them if fit.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think the glimpse we had of JOC (James O'Connor)-To'omua as a 10/12 was really enticing and I think it's the option Rennie will go with if both are fit. Experienced, skilful, good defenders, good kicking games. Combine that with White and you've got a really experienced backline taking shape.

Yes it was, almost as good as 10: Cooper; 12: To'omua for the very short period that was tested. Not as good though. You may be right about Rennie, we will see soon enough. I also agree that both JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua can be trusted to run through to the RWC. And I agree completely on their form. It is great to see.

I'd still be playing Paisami at 12. And there are others knocking at that door.

It will come down to how Rennie wants to play and who best fits those intentions. I think that Paisami is a good fit for the "two big boppers" theory of centres. I also think he is shaping up nicely in improvement to offer some creativity if the intention is "in and out flyhalves". He is not likely to match To'omua any time before the RWC for a calm guiding head for steady leadership. I don't think there is lot between To'omua and Paisami in D, though I'll concede many will put To'omua ahead there.

Of course there is plenty of subtlety not covered in those obvious alternatives, and what I say about To'omua equally applies comparing Paisami to JOC (James O'Connor) at 12.

To me
9: White; 10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: To'omua looks nothing as dynamic as
9 : White; 10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: Paisami.

The difference its greater I think if you swap JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua.

If Rennie is heading that way I'll be interested to see the game plan and strategy that goes with it.

EDIT: They are both great options. I do think that one is ahead tough.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I really don’t think you can look past Paisami, he is developing into a really quality player. His rate of development, from where he was at the end of 2019 to now is really quite incredible.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I really don’t think you can look past Paisami, he is developing into a really quality player. His rate of development, from where he was at the end of 2019 to now is really quite incredible.

Oh yes, I bloody love him. He could, maybe, become something close to Ma'a Nonu, the best 12 of the modern era. Like Nonu he came onto the scene as a physical tyro, but is slowly adding the deft touches that set Ma'a apart from the rest - the grubber against the Brumbies in the 79th springs to mind.

In my side I'm picking him at 13 outside MT and putting Jordy on the wing. But I certainly wouldn't be annoyed to see Rennie put him at 12.

I do worry he racks off after the World Cup for big dollars, but then again that could be said for most of our players at the moment.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the TT portion of the comp will have a big influence on a lot of these decisions. Not that there is anything wrong with having them now. It’s great to have guys in form where leaving someone out is the problem, not picking between a defender v an attacker.

I won’t be surprised if Rennie uses a bit of squad rotation in this international year. I think he’ll be keen to give Lolesio some time in the 10 jersey - most likely off the bench. He’s still green now, but is making every post a winner and the WC is 2 yrs away. That’s a lot of footy experience. I’ll also be interested whether Harrison gets a look in. I know he isn’t setting the world on fire, but Mark Ella would probably look like a dud in the current Tahs team.

Valetini has certainly firmed as the 6 in my view - but I do still think it is one of the more open positions because no one has grabbed it with both hands. Not sure Swinton is having the sort of season that will give Rennie confidence he is the man for it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Not sure Swinton is having the sort of season that will give Rennie confidence he is the man for it.

But I would have said that last year as well, but then he was our best player for 25-odd minutes in Brisbane. You wonder how far that performance will take him. You'd think they would give him another chance at some point this year, though I agree Valetini seems to have the inside track at the moment.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’ll also be interested whether Harrison gets a look in. I know he isn’t setting the world on fire, but Mark Ella would probably look like a dud in the current Tahs team.

Yep, completely.

Valetini has certainly firmed as the 6 in my view - but I do still think it is one of the more open positions because no one has grabbed it with both hands.

The claim that Valetini is the form 6, to me, is not so much untrue, more that it is worrying. Given the strength in our back row options it is also strange.

Hard to argue it isn't Valetini at this point, as much as I don't like it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think there was a significant difference last year though Barbs. Last year there was no other candidate who ticked the boxes we needed from a 6. I actually thought Swinton was a very logical choice last year because even though he was inconsistent Valetini wasn’t at the level he needed to be and Wright’s game wasn’t what was required IMO. So he was a Bradhury choice in a sense, but he did bring the right profile and while Swinton was by no means consistently good, but he was very good in a couple of games. I don’t think he’s had any games at that level this season so far.

In the meantime Valetini has improved. He brings the physicality, and his work rate is much better (IMO). His biggest shortfall is he is not a prominent jumper but it was notable he jumped in the Australia A games.

FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) might be another option.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, completely.

The claim that Valetini is the form 6, to me, is not so much untrue, more that it is worrying. Given the strength in our back row options it is also strange.

Hard to argue it isn't Valetini at this point, as much as I don't like it.

I find this comment bizarre........ Valetini has been smashing it, and is head and shoulders the form 6 so far- why is that worrying?

Don’t we want to be winning the physical battles against the top test teams?

He’s making easy metres with every carry (mostly in tight), he’s making a tonne of dominant tackles, had his opposite numbers in Swinton and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) literally bouncing off him in recent weeks.

The only negative is that he’s not a first choice lineout target, although he has been taking the occasional throw.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Because he can still be lazy at times and lineout are important.

But none of the other 6s are better at this point.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I find this comment bizarre....

Like clockwork. And little point talking as little common ground is likely. But of course you are not on your own.

But why Dru? Are you implying the rest arent performing up to scratch?

And that deserves a response. I am not convinced that any 6 has seriously put his hand up. I see plenty of them at a similar level albeit Valetini ahead. I'm not convinced right now that that at 6 we are at international standard.

Who mentioned earlier that performance in the TT might clarify positions. Maybe that is what is needed for 6.

EDIT: FWIW as long as he stands up with enough game time, my 6 would be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). He is fresh to the season though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't rate ASY (Angus Scott-Young) as much better than a good Super player, and a solid third violinist in the QLD backrow to McReight and Wilson. But on the weekend I watched him closely, and he gets through a fuckload of work on defence and at ruck time. Is he in line for a Test spot? Nah. Despite Swinton's occasional brain farts, I'd pick the NSWelshman ahead of ASY (Angus Scott-Young), and Swinton isn't even my starting Wallaby 6.

Valetini is the big bopper who you notice scattering bodies. But if you watch him long enough, you get to appreciate where his workrate is at. For a blindside who is tasked with doing the filth with the tight five, that may simply not warrant a starting spot at Test level. Bench impact? Oh yeah for sure against tired bodies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Like clockwork. And little point talking as little common ground is likely. But of course you are not on your own.

I thought Slim's comment was reasonable.

Valetini's form has been really good. I also wonder why a player that was in the squad last year (and played 3 tests off the bench) being the form player in their position this season could be construed as being worrying.

It's a strange position to take. Do you think he's not good enough?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Slim's comment was reasonable.

Valetini's form has been really good. I also wonder why a player that was in the squad last year (and played 3 tests off the bench) being the form player in their position this season could be construed as being worrying.

It's a strange position to take. Do you think he's not good enough?

I didn't say Slim's position wasn't reasonable, just boringly predictable.

Valetini will be 6 on current form. This does not have to excite me. And yes it worries me.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't rate ASY (Angus Scott-Young) as much better than a good Super player, and a solid third violinist in the QLD backrow to McReight and Wilson. But on the weekend I watched him closely, and he gets through a fuckload of work on defence and at ruck time. Is he in line for a Test spot? Nah. Despite Swinton's occasional brain farts, I'd pick the NSWelshman ahead of ASY (Angus Scott-Young), and Swinton isn't even my starting Wallaby 6.

Valetini is the big bopper who you notice scattering bodies. But if you watch him long enough, you get to appreciate where his workrate is at. For a blindside who is tasked with doing the filth with the tight five, that may simply not warrant a starting spot at Test level. Bench impact? Oh yeah for sure against tired bodies.
I think the problem there though Pfitzy, if I understand your post correctly, is who does start. If it’s not Swinton, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or Valetini who is it. The type of player FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) is, be actually could be a good option.

But even though he does still have some shortcomings I think Valetini does deserve to be favourite at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I didn't say Slim's position wasn't reasonable, just boringly predictable.

Presumably because he's a Brumbies fan?

You provided greater justification in your following post but it's a bit strange to say that a Wallaby from last season playing in their preferred position, being the form player in that position is a worrying situation for the Wallabies.

Personally I'd be far more worried if we were looking at LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as being the best option to play 6.

There are certainly several positions where I'd have the form guide as being more worrying in terms of the options we have and who currently looks to be in front.