• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You, don't automatically get the consistent bit in test rugby without enough form to justify it, he got a good run last season
There are players that have had chances but not stamped themselves at wallaby level and fast running out of time to do so. Samu is one such player, and banks I would say also in that boat although he was better then in past for last all black games without being a standout.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If people are going for a first test v France wallabies team here is my effort

1 Slipper
2 Kaitu’u
3 Tupou
4 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
5 Philip (should be available)
6 Valetini
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 White
10 To'omua
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Daugunu
15 Hodge

16 Bell
17 Mafi
18 AAT
19 Hosea
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 Lolesio
23 Petaia

I’m not convinced on the hookers, wouldn’t surprise me to see Hanson get a spot if he finishes the season well and recommits to Aus rugby for next year.
There is no way I would have lolesio on the bench ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) or indeed other bench options (noting hodge can also provide cover for 10). Happy for lolesio to be in the wallaby squad but he is not ready to be picked in match day 23. Last showed that and nothing shown any different. Same for Simone - happy to be in wallaby squad but should be no where near match day 23.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rebels3 is on the money for me, probably swap out Kaitu'u for one of the hookers who isn't named and slide JOC (James O'Connor) onto the bench in place of Lolesio.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure if those selecting both Koroibete and Daugunu on their wings watched the Wallabies play last year?

TLDR version............ didn't go so well.

Koroibete will be on one wing, and if Wright returns from injury without losing his touch then he's a good chance to retain his spot on the other side.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure if those selecting both Koroibete and Daugunu on their wings watched the Wallabies play last year?

TLDR version.... didn't go so well.

Koroibete will be on one wing, and if Wright returns from injury without losing his touch then he's a good chance to retain his spot on the other side.
Daugunu was sensational in one, average in another and poor in the last. Worth another go, but equally happy for Wright to get the spot, he’s a good player

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nz want to co host rugby championship while Australia wants to host alone. No problem, RA can send out a ‘EOI’ for nz to apply to co host with Australia and then RA can give it the due consideration it deserves

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There is no way I would have lolesio on the bench ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) or indeed other bench options (noting hodge can also provide cover for 10). Happy for lolesio to be in the wallaby squad but he is not ready to be picked in match day 23. Last showed that and nothing shown any different. Same for Simone - happy to be in wallaby squad but should be no where near match day 23.

Harsh on both Simone and Lolesio. Thrown to the wolves in Sydney and then immediately discarded.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

TLDR version.... didn't go so well.

I thought they went alright together in Wellington

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought they went alright together in Wellington

Daugunu, yes - it was his one good test (and he was excellent).......... Koroibete was pretty average in that one though - they didn't pair well in any of the tests they played together, and seemed to be just another example of requiring at least one winger at test level who possesses the ability to kick the ball.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Daugunu, yes - it was his one good test (and he was excellent).... Koroibete was pretty average in that one though - they didn't pair well in any of the tests they played together, and seemed to be just another example of requiring at least one winger at test level who possesses the ability to kick the ball.

Yeah MK had butterhands that match, but I didn't think it caused a tactical issue. My foggy memories are that we actually outkicked them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah MK had butterhands that match, but I didn't think it caused a tactical issue. My foggy memories are that we actually outkicked them.

I think it was the only game that both JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua played as well.........

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm going to have a crack at the RWC23 team and take a leaf out of the French book which is trusting their dominant u20 team. Our u20 team nearly/should've beat theirs, so I don't think this is too outlandish. There's another 2.5 super seasons to go before this happens. It seems like Rennie is also thinking the same with no capped hookers in the PONI squad. Only position I don't know about is 15.

1. Bell
2. Longeran
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Hosea
6. McReight
7. Hooper (c)
8. Wilson
9. White
10. Lolesio/Harrison
11. Koroibete/Daugunu (depends if MK is still on shore)
12. Paisami
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Hodge/Wright, no idea who goes here
16. Uelese
17. Slipper - will be 34, all good.
18. Fa'amausili
19. Wood
20. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
21. Harris
22. McDermott
23. Hodge/JOC (James O'Connor)/To'omua

Controversial but don't think L. Wright will be in the team.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm going to have a crack at the RWC23 team and take a leaf out of the French book which is trusting their dominant u20 team. Our u20 team nearly/should've beat theirs, so I don't think this is too outlandish. There's another 2.5 super seasons to go before this happens. It seems like Rennie is also thinking the same with no capped hookers in the PONI squad. Only position I don't know about is 15.

1. Bell
2. Longeran
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Hosea
6. McReight
7. Hooper (c)
8. Wilson
9. White
10. Lolesio/Harrison
11. Koroibete/Daugunu (depends if MK is still on shore)
12. Paisami
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Hodge/Wright, no idea who goes here
16. Uelese
17. Slipper - will be 34, all good.
18. Fa'amausili
19. Wood
20. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
21. Harris
22. McDermott
23. Hodge/JOC (James O'Connor)/To'omua

Controversial but don't think L. Wright will be in the team.

Only glaring ones for me is that
1) - I don't think we'll see anothe Pooper combo (mcreight and Hoops) starting
2) - Wood making it -- too many actual second rows
3) - that leading into leaving out a Swinton/Valetini who are both young and doing well for Wood.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
However - if you swap LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Wood in their places on the bench, it suddenly becomes more realistic.

Including Wood in there in any form is pure pie in the sky stuff at this point, but based on the rational that this team was proposed it’s not a bad speculative pick. Certainly I was happy to see him come back from injury and get on the field last night as he looked like a really good prospect in the u20s. I always thought he was more likely a 6 then a 4 - but then he does seem to get used in the row a bit, so who knows.

I agree with you in Hooper & McReight. I think it goes back to the fact that when Hooper & Pocock were picked together generally the options at 6 & 8 were pretty ordinary. We’ve progressed since then. There is certainly still room to improve, but there are a group of good young options starting to put their hands up and you’d hope one of them has nailed down the spot by 2023 - or, even better, 2-3 of them are presenting as quality options for the spot.

Which leads into the last point. I think Swinton has gone backwards badly this year and, based on last night, I’d be keeping Harris & Sinclair together in the Tahs back row. Valetini has definitely improved though and will be in the mix for the 6 jersey.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
However - if you swap LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Wood in their places on the bench, it suddenly becomes more realistic.

Including Wood in there in any form is pure pie in the sky stuff at this point, but based on the rational that this team was proposed it’s not a bad speculative pick. Certainly I was happy to see him come back from injury and get on the field last night as he looked like a really good prospect in the u20s. I always thought he was more likely a 6 then a 4 - but then he does seem to get used in the row a bit, so who knows.

I agree with you in Hooper & McReight. I think it goes back to the fact that when Hooper & Pocock were picked together generally the options at 6 & 8 were pretty ordinary. We’ve progressed since then. There is certainly still room to improve, but there are a group of good young options starting to put their hands up and you’d hope one of them has nailed down the spot by 2023 - or, even better, 2-3 of them are presenting as quality options for the spot.

Which leads into the last point. I think Swinton has gone backwards badly this year and, based on last night, I’d be keeping Harris & Sinclair together in the Tahs back row. Valetini has definitely improved though and will be in the mix for the 6 jersey.
Hard to see any likely situation that both would start with all the options at 6 and 8, as you say. That said, they might both finish! McReight looks like a long-term special.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Quite possible. Again - that might depend on the quality of the 6s & 8s coming through.

McReight & Hooper are both great players and I can see a solid argument for McReight in particular being let lose with 20 to go. But I can probably see more upside in subbing off one of the bigger guys and replacing them with an Uru or Valetini - someone who might struggle a little to give you 80 quality minutes, but could give you a game changing 20-25.

The really good thing is we are currently getting contenders throwing their hands up in each spot. There are still some problem areas - 2, 15 and I would still put 6 there in terms of a proven international level player, and some where the changing of the guard will be really interesting - 7 & 10. But we seem to be forming genuine depth in most positions which we haven’t had for 20 yrs. Players aren’t going to get away with being consistently sub par.

Lock is a really interesting spot for me. It has been a real point of weakness for us, and it’s still not clear, IMO, whether some of the players coming through are the real deal or not. But I think it is likely it’ll be a position of strength for us by the next World Cup, and it needs to be.