• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
geez if this french series goes ahead (3 tests in 11 days) we could get a fair few debut's & some strange combinations. No point in selecting a XV for me for now

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe. We need a term for this. Like a reverse Giteau rule - the Leroy Houston rule?

Well I guess if Scott Johnson encouraged him to return home from overseas well paying gig it is fair enough to at least invite him to the Wallaby's squad. Sadly I don't think he will be another Leroy Houston as Leroy got at least one wallaby test match against Argentina and I think Porecki whilst making initial wallaby squad camp will not be destined to get near the wallaby 23.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I hope we skip the Frenchies in the autumn tours from now on. A Tuesday and a Wednesday night game at 8pm is a massive stitch up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope we skip the Frenchies in the autumn tours from now on. A Tuesday and a Wednesday night game at 8pm is a massive stitch up.

It sucks but I think is on the basis of the French team having to do a two week quarantine on arrival. They'll probably end up being here slightly longer than they would on a normal three test tour.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It sucks but I think is on the basis of the French team having to do a two week quarantine on arrival. They'll probably end up being here slightly longer than they would on a normal three test tour.

And we should probably give them some slack around it on that basis. It is COVID times that may need a little flexibility.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

Which would make you think they should lean into it and have a longer tour. Bring a French Baabaa's squad and play mid week games against an Aus A or PI team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Unfortunately the French are beholden to the most demanding clubs in the rugby world. I think it’ll be a good chance for us both to try out our depth and trust me the french’s C team will still have wall to wall talent.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

From a going to watch basis, I tend to agree, but from channel 9's basis, it will be interesting to see how they promote it

SOO is the model for mid week special event television

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There's a big element of 'beggars can't be choosers' about this whole thing.

I'm just happy to have some test footy against NH opposition, in a three test series which is a great format. I'll be watching every game, and will try to get to the Sydney test. The SCG isn't a great venue but bugger that it's test rugby.

And despite it being midweek it's still school holidays so should be a good chance of a decent turnout.

And with my Wallaby hat on I hope the French are a bit underdone and we can at least get a few wins on the board. Seems a long time since we've seen a winning home series, and I'll take it however I can get it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And with my Wallaby hat on I hope the French are a bit underdone and we can at least get a few wins on the board. Seems a long time since we've seen a winning home series, and I'll take it however I can get it.

Having a series where we should win 3-0 is great in my opinion.

Starting the year off on the right note and chalking up some wins for Rennie and the squad will hopefully help us heading into the Rugby Championship.

People complain we play the All Blacks too often and that losing so much hurts the appeal and then also complain when we get an understrength side touring.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Having a series where we should win 3-0 is great in my opinion.

Starting the year off on the right note and chalking up some wins for Rennie and the squad will hopefully help us heading into the Rugby Championship.

To be fair, I said the same thing when it seemed Argentina were a shemozzle with massive injury and COVID issues last year. Boy was I looking forward to a few easy wins.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
  • Domestic France Final was locked in, as was the international window at the end so finite time to complete a Series
  • France squad likely to come in two groups, one before their domestic Final (with players not playing in that) and then one after with players who have played in the Final
  • Both teams will carry larger squads for player welfare reasons
  • Then down to venue availability and juggling that puzzle.
    • Sydney Test is in school holidays
    • One positive for the Melbourne midweek is clean air in Melbourne. So not on a Saturday while AFL is on etc
    • Had to avoid a midweek clash with State of Origin
  • Broadcasters happy too, as opportunity for something new and Nine obviously like their Origins midweek too

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I’m a fan of a sell out game (hopefully) at AAMI park. The stadium is great.

We were getting 4-5k to the rebels games a sell out is not likely.

Melbourne sports fans are voting with their feet massively at sporting events this season. Its not an easy thing to do going to a game once you get in a section you aren't allowed out or to meet someone for a beer who gets put in a different section, cant have a kick at half time nor kids that maybe on the 2nd level aren't even allowed to go down the bottom to get a selfie

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Melbourne sports fans are voting with their feet massively at sporting events this season.

Are the numbers down for AFL? I haven't been following. I'd imagine Melbourne especially might still be hesitant to goto massive events but I think you'd be surprised, I reckon we can get close to a sell out, it's only 30k at AAMI. Also, depressingly the number of rugby fans in Melbourne is much larger than Rebels fans.