• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Petaia is a tough one. Obvious skill and game breaking ability but prone to brain snaps. He makes my 23 because of his versatility and ability to break a game open. Daugunu hard to include if form is the marker when Thorn has barely used him. Preferring Campbell and Petaia last night speaks volumes. Given he also only plays wing he doesn't get near my 23. Ikitau doesn't have the versatility for the bench so either starts with Paisami at 12 or is out all the side all together. Hodge and Petaia represent the versatility and probably the contrast between reliability and game breaking ability for me at 22/23. Outside of those 2 Id consider Lolesio against France for the 10/12 bench spot with Hodge also.
Perese can cover wing/13 from 23 like Petaia. Happy for either of them though really, I just want Perese to make the squad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Disagree, the tap and go set the platform for the win.
Go another scrum and you’re risking a short arm penalty to the Brumbies, go a lineout and you risk an overthrow.

The risk for a short arm penalty in the scrum when you have a 2 man advantage, and have dominated the scrum all night was very low. I would argue the tap was giving the Brumbies the best chance they got to disrupt the Reds ball, whether at ruck, intercept, or holding the ball up over the line.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Perese can cover wing/13 from 23 like Petaia. Happy for either of them though really, I just want Perese to make the squad.

Id think with his form at the back end of the SRAU Perese should be a given for the squad, if the continues that form in TT you'd think he will be challenging for a spot in the 23 and perhaps even the 13 jersey.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Petaia is a tough one. Obvious skill and game breaking ability but prone to brain snaps. He makes my 23 because of his versatility and ability to break a game open. Daugunu hard to include if form is the marker when Thorn has barely used him. Preferring Campbell and Petaia last night speaks volumes. Given he also only plays wing he doesn't get near my 23. Ikitau doesn't have the versatility for the bench so either starts with Paisami at 12 or is out all the side all together. Hodge and Petaia represent the versatility and probably the contrast between reliability and game breaking ability for me at 22/23. Outside of those 2 Id consider Lolesio against France for the 10/12 bench spot with Hodge also.

Petaia is a tough one. I think he's played himself out of the 13 jersey. Paiasmi (if fit) and Ikatu, much better options.

I really do like Petaia on the wing or bench tho. His finishing ability is the best we got. Although, one of Koro and Wright would feel hard done by, but that's Test rugby for you.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure about the Ala'alatoa/Thor starter/finisher combo so feel free to swap the 3s. Hooker is also a bother for me as Amosa is an epic scrummager but won't be around for later tests, Kaituu has great workethic and Fainga'a has the combo with Brumbies

1. Slipper 2. Kaituu 3. Tupou
4. Rodda 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini 8. Wilson 7. Hoops
9. White 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Paisami 14. Wright 15. Banks

16. Amosa 17. Bell 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Phillips 20. Swinton 21. Mcdermott 22. Hodge 23. Petaia

I think Tupou needs to play bulk minutes. I love the idea of starting AAA, and bringing TT on after 25minutes. As he plays in the front row, I beleive, if he is injured AAA is allowed to come back on.

TT has proven he can play 80mins, so he will be a beast for 65mins and at the back end of the games when he dominates tiring opposition.

Nice team, BTW.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The risk for a short arm penalty in the scrum when you have a 2 man advantage, and have dominated the scrum all night was very low. I would argue the tap was giving the Brumbies the best chance they got to disrupt the Reds ball, whether at ruck, intercept, or holding the ball up over the line.

I’m not so sure, there was a number of collapsed scrums when the Reds did opt for a scrum, especially on the AAA/Zander side. Didn’t matter if there was an overlap or not, if AAA wins the hit and Zanders knee hits the ground first then Brumbeis short arm, I was getting nervous watching that

Tap was clearly risky, but it was also opportunistic and worked.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think after last night, our current locks are looking good. Not sure how I feel about Rodda coming straight back into the squad. Would much rather the Brums or Reds locks given first crack.

Or Phillip if he's back. Can't deny that guy.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Petaia should actually be an easy one. He is mostly more liability than asset where the occasional good thing may lead to a try but when balanced against the three or four poor things which usually result in turnover of possesion (and at international level probably lead to an opposition try) he doesn't get near a 23. I would go further. I would send him back to club land and when he can string half a dozen games together where he is distinctly more asset than liability (ie consistent good form against men - not the under age level where he last was able to show consistent strong form); then once that is achieved, back to Suoer Rugby where he must again demonstrate consistent good form over half a dozen games before he enters any conversation for international honours.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not so sure, there was a number of collapsed scrums when the Reds did opt for a scrum, especially on the AAA/Zander side. Didn’t matter if there was an overlap or not, if AAA wins the hit and Zanders knee hits the ground first then Brumbeis short arm, I was getting nervous watching that

That's a fair point. You're probably right, given it worked!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Surely Banks has played his way into the team too. Wasn't sold on him last year or at the start of the year, but he has really stepped up his attacking game, backed up the stats for the year (I believe topping run metres, tries, and line breaks).

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Exactly. On the other hand with the Wallabies and better players supporting Tupou you'd think that the scrum option would have been higher up the thinking.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s decision making has been Wallaby captain material imo.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Id think with his form at the back end of the SRAU Perese should be a given for the squad, if the continues that form in TT you'd think he will be challenging for a spot in the 23 and perhaps even the 13 jersey.

Perese has been a massive improver and highly impressive. He hasn't come close to Paisami's input yet though. or Ikitau.

Perese would be in my squad but barring injury he'll be lucky to make the 23. Perhaps with the tight schedule and rotation, though we have Paisami and Ikitau for that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeh the decision to take the tap and not got for scrums when you have a 2 man advantage was a stupid indeed, basically the only change the Brumbies had was disrupting the ball in general play and they gave them that chance - lucky they got there in the end.
I think they got impatient with the scrums. Hopefully the wallabies Captain will learn from this.
I thought so too at first. But then you look at the scrum before which was re-set twice, with both Ala'alatoa and Zander going to ground in quick succession. I’m confident Berry got each of the calls right, but there was definitely a risk Zander could have been done over by Ala'alatoa.

It’s worth noting in the press conference that Thorn discussed they fact they had practiced that exact scenario and were very confident in their strategy.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Understand some concerns around Petaia’s ball security, but his defence is well above any other wing option and he makes some very important reads/tackles.

Also, his impact is undeniable. At one point he ran the ball into a gang tackle by Neville & Valetini where they had a clear shot at him and made 2-3 post contact metres. I’m not sure anyone else other than Tupou might be able to manage that. Just needs to control the ball a bit.

Problem for him is that TT form will, rightly, be given a lot of weight and I’d assume he’s going to miss a big part of it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m keen to see him get a crack and I agree he looks handy.

But we’ve been here before. Coleman was going to be our saviour at one point.

I’m not saying he won’t be everything people hope, but let’s wait until he’s had a few tests and see how he goes.

And the good thing is we actually have some options. I expect each of Neville, Philip & Salakai-Loto to get used and I do expect Rodda will be bought back into the fold too. This will allow them to bring Hosea through at the right pace. If he takes to test rugby like a duck to water he will be a starter soon enough and he on his way to his 100 tests.