• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't think Bell's scrummaging has been too bad. He didn't handle Thor, but name a loose head who has. No-one else has caused him any grief. I like Robbo, a real meat and potatoes prop, but he's a bit light and I think Bell is the future. Clearly behind Slipper, but I would still be giving him plenty of time against the French.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
1st, go hard, essentially what we expect is our top team, this is all from the original squad of interest + some of the hookers and Rodda & Philip.
1. Bell
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks
16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Neville
20. McReight
21. McDermott
22. To'omua
23. Petaia

Mid week game, essentially Australia 'A'. Bench get promoted, no one from the 1st and 3rd game XV play. This is where it gets fun.
1. Slipper
2. Longeran - give him good 50 before FF (Folau Fainga'a).
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Neville
5. Hosea
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Naisarani
9. Gordon
10. Lolesio
11. Daugunu
12. Simone
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Maddocks
16. Fainga'a
17. Robertson
18. Faamausili
19. Swain
20. Uru
21. McDermott
22. To'omua
23. Muirhead

3rd game. Again our top team with tinkering from what we've seen and injuries presumably. Maybe some more rotation the bench. Don't have anyone who started in the 2nd game starting this.
1. Bell
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Banks
15. Wright
16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Faamausili
19. Salakai-Loto
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. To'omua
23. Petaia

edit: Looking at it again, wouldn't be surprised if Naisarani didn't feature after last year and signing overseas. Also, Liam Wright doesn't feature which I'm sure he will. Despite having a 2nd string side for the mid-week I didn't get to put in Kemney, Mafi, Antsee & Wright.

Maybe if we win the 1st test go with the same 15 for the 2nd & avoid the series going to the deciding game?

use the bench from the 1st & 2nd game plus anyone who can back up

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He didn't handle Thor, but name a loose head who has.

Robertson.

It's that rock solid scrummaging reliability from him that I reckon makes him an ideal partner for Thor right now. I do agree that Bell will probably move ahead of him and should get game time against France, but I don't think he'll be quite ready for the All Blacks later this year.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Perese's defence at 13 is not up to scratch. I wouldn't want to see him trying to contain the All Blacks.

If Paisami is to be 12, then my pick would be TK. But i doubt we'll see that.

We still have 5 games for the centre's to work themselves out. I think Gordan will play a fair bit of 10 so To'omua should play a chunk of 12

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Robertson.

He's also been very good around the ground this year, on top of his good scrum work. The change of scene has clearly done him a world of good.
I was fully expecting Wagner to be ahead of Robbo by the end of Super Rugby AU, as he looks a real prospect (handled Tupou in the scrum last year and very good around the ground also), but Robbo's form has been too good for him to get a look in.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know at some point you need to build combinations across super teams, but I wonder if Rennie will be tempted to lean heavily on super rugby combos in the forwards to start.

So you could have one test tight 5 or Slipper, Lonergan/Fainga’a, Ala'alatoa, Neville & Swain & another of Robertson/Bell, BPA, Tupou, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Hosea. Use Bell/Robertson, Kaitu’u & Fa’amausili as bench front row for both packs.

Or something along those lines.

Backrow a bit more clear cut so I would give Hooper, Wilson & Valetini a bit of time together to try and get their roles right but use McReight & Uru/Swinton/Anstee/pick your favourite other back rower here to manage work load.

Hopefully that would provide a solid platform up front where to try and get your backline to humming and then merge your best park over time.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I know at some point you need to build combinations across super teams, but I wonder if Rennie will be tempted to lean heavily on super rugby combos in the forwards to start.

So you could have one test tight 5 or Slipper, Lonergan/Fainga’a, Ala'alatoa, Neville & Swain & another of Robertson/Bell, BPA, Tupou, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Hosea. Use Bell/Robertson, Kaitu’u & Fa’amausili as bench front row for both packs.

Or something along those lines.

Backrow a bit more clear cut so I would give Hooper, Wilson & Valetini a bit of time together to try and get their roles right but use McReight & Uru/Swinton/Anstee/pick your favourite other back rower here to manage work load.

Hopefully that would provide a solid platform up front where to try and get your backline to humming and then merge your best park over time.
You should also have JOC (James O'Connor) and Paisami together which will be a good combination. White/McDermott also pair well with JOC (James O'Connor).

Personally I prefer Paisami at 12 with Ikitau, Petaia or Perese outside him but I wouldn’t be surprised to see 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 12. To'omua 13. Paisami on an experience basis.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think Bell's scrummaging has been too bad. He didn't handle Thor, but name a loose head who has. No-one else has caused him any grief. I like Robbo, a real meat and potatoes prop, but he's a bit light and I think Bell is the future. Clearly behind Slipper, but I would still be giving him plenty of time against the French.

The French are apparently likely to be loaded with their 2019 U20s. They would probably be a bit bewildered by the prospect of facing Angus Bell at test level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The French are apparently likely to be loaded with their 2019 U20s. They would probably be a bit bewildered by the prospect of facing Angus Bell at test level.

Huh?

The French will be bewildered that Bell and a bunch of players that also played in that Junior Wallabies team against them (McReight, Wilson, Lolesio, Hosea) are in the Wallabies squad now playing against them in test rugby?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Lets see how they all perform over the next couple of weeks as rugby gets hard again

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Forces scrum has been one of the best and Robertson the only opposition to hold Tupou. That has something to do with Kaitu’u as well. Robertson has been more than holding his own at set piece and in general play.
On the other hand Bell has been playing in a weak pack which has not progressed his claims. I’m guessing both will be in the Wallaby squad.
As FP says, the next few weeks will be a good test for both.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Huh?

The French will be bewildered that Bell and a bunch of players that also played in that Junior Wallabies team against them (McReight, Wilson, Lolesio, Hosea) are in the Wallabies squad now playing against them in test rugby?

No. They would be expecting to be up against the likes of McReight, Wilson, Lolesio and Hosea. Bell's scrummaging in the U20s was pretty woeful, although he was as usual strong in open play.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
My point was that Paisami should be considered for the 12 spot only. Leave the 13 to the likes of Ikitau, Perese or Kuridrani.

Ah I see

So on the field you would rather Ikitau Perese or TK over To'omua?

I like the idea of those combinations but I would still be hesitant to Bench To'omua in favour of it. Though perhaps V France is exactly the time to give it a go!

Originally I thought it would be Petaia at 13 with Paisami coming off the bench for big impact but look how my judgement ended up on that one...

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm still happy with To'omua at 12 and Paisami at 13. I agree To'omua has been a bit mixed at 10 for the Rebels, but I think most people on here agree he's not really a 10. I can't remember him having a poor game at 12 for the Wallabies.
I think there's no doubt Paisami needs to be there, but while I think both Ikitau and Perese have shown a lot this season, I'm not sure at this stage I rate them over To'omua.