• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
In an odd sort of game, I thought three Waratahs showed enough to suggest they will play good minutes in gold this year- Swinton, Bell and Gordon.

And really I suspect they will be the only three from that team. But they were head and shoulders above the other 12 blokes out there.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
In an odd sort of game, I thought three Waratahs showed enough to suggest they will play good minutes in gold this year- Swinton, Bell and Gordon.

And really I suspect they will be the only three from that team. But they were head and shoulders above the other 12 blokes out there.

Swinton was a real menace. Good metres every time. Wouldn't be surprised to see Maddocks get some time off the bench with our dearth of fullbacks.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maddocks shoulda been playing for the Reds. His boot alone could've changed the entire dynamic of that match. This one, not so much.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
New Wallaby jersey. I'm a big fan. Much more gold than the past decade of yellow. Strange collar remains.
Left is last years, middle is new one, right is 1991 RWC.

62b3ada8ed44240dfee14e28f80b1fa2842756e6

worst collar in the history of jersey's

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some combination of Valetini, Swinton, and Wilson in the 23 is powerful.

Using the bench might be, but can't have those three on the field at the same time. In any event, I have a different view of Swinton's involvement last night. Thought he was his usual self trying to be a hard man and coming off second best on most occasions. Can't say that I saw a lot of him winning the contact when running the ball too.

Gordon and Bell, yes. But Jake is getting a lot of credit here for managing his team, yet allowed 64 points against them in 80 minutes. Doesn't look like a lot of leadership from anybody in my book.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Sorry accidentally deleted this!

Spoilers for Top League:
Hooper should be back in Aus this week following his team being bundled out of the semi finals, so ample time before France. Wouldn't be surprised if he joins some Waratahs training sessions, I maintain he looks chubbier than normal and a bit unfit.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Using the bench might be, but can't have those three on the field at the same time. In any event, I have a different view of Swinton's involvement last night. Thought he was his usual self trying to be a hard man and coming off second best on most occasions. Can't say that I saw a lot of him winning the contact when running the ball too.

Gordon and Bell, yes. But Jake is getting a lot of credit here for managing his team, yet allowed 64 points against them in 80 minutes. Doesn't look like a lot of leadership from anybody in my book.
That’s why I said 23. Agree that Swinton doesn’t make huge metres in attack but aside from Valetini there isn’t a backrower that really stands out for abrasive carrying. It’s a shame Rob Leota has had to fill in at lock because he’s quite a damaging runner and a decent lineout option that could have pushed for selection if he spent more time at 6.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree with your view of Leota, but he's also going o/s I believe. The next best, and imo very good No 6 is Fergus Lee-Warner. I would not be at all disappointed in seeing him in the Wallaby squad, and probably on the bench for some tests as well.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That’s why I said 23. Agree that Swinton doesn’t make huge metres in attack but aside from Valetini there isn’t a backrower that really stands out for abrasive carrying. It’s a shame Rob Leota has had to fill in at lock because he’s quite a damaging runner and a decent lineout option that could have pushed for selection if he spent more time at 6.

& he is off to France for 2 years as well

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wallaby questions I want answered in the next few weeks:

Who starts at loosehead in the first test? Sio is the incumbent, Bell is the future, Slipper the returning hope.

Can any of our hookers learn to throw straight? Folau Fainga'a still hasn't got it, neither has Uelese, BPA or Poreki.

Is Trevor Hosea the real deal? A strong game against Kiwi opposition goes a long way to a gold jersey.

Can any of the Force pack win a Wallaby shirt? Kaitu'u, Lee-Warner, Anstee, Robertson all in with a shout you'd think if they can keep their form up.

Can Swinton force his way in to the team? Currently has to usurp one of Valetini or Wilson you'd think, but a good run of form and who knows.

Has Harry Wilson still got it? God I hope so, but I think he needs a good showing to secure the Wallaby 8 jersey, especially after the last few performances by Valetini in that shirt for the Brumbies.

Can Matt To'omua find a shred of form as the Rebels slide? I feel for him, he's not on his game but getting no support.

Len Ikitau, Wallaby 13? If To'omua's form slides, then a Paisami move to 12 seems likely, opening a shirt for big Len if he's good enough.

Is Tom Banks going to fire up? This one may have already been answered! I hope it continues.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
How good was his try! That's what I've been wanting to see from him for years but just never got there till now and against the 'Saders no less.
Thats what has been missing from his game and it was good to see him put the burners on and shoot the gap against quality opposition. Hes firming as the starter at 15.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Barbarian, my answers to your questions, in order
1) Slipper
2) Probably not, but for mine Kaitu'u is the selection
3) Yes, but I've got Neville and Phillip in front of him
4) See 2)
5) No
6) Has been a bit disappointing, but I'm still selecting him. I've got Valetini at 6
7) This is a tough one, but my bet is at 12, not 10, he can.
8) Because of my answer to 7), I've got Paisami at 13
9) yes, and you're right, it has been answered

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Barbarian, my answers to your questions, in order

7) This is a tough one, but my bet is at 12, not 10, he can.
8) Because of my answer to 7), I've got Paisami at 13

Agree with this.

I don't see why Paisami should be shifted from his best position because others can't stack up at 12. If Ikitau wants a start let him fight To'omua for 12. Paisami has 13 locked. Or should have.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Others seems to think Paisami is better at 12 (and was playing there for much of the season).

Personally I think he'll be selected at 13 with To'omua at 12.

Rennie will pick who he thinks makes his best overall XV. I don't think he'll be too worried about which position Paisami plays but I'm certain he'll be in the starting XV.

I do think To'omua is the only other player likely to be picked at 12. Otherwise Paisami plays there and someone else will play 13. I can't see 12. Simone 13. Paisami being the first choice option.