• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’m keen to see him get a crack and I agree he looks handy.

But we’ve been here before. Coleman was going to be our saviour at one point.

I’m not saying he won’t be everything people hope, but let’s wait until he’s had a few tests and see how he goes.

And the good thing is we actually have some options. I expect each of Neville, Philip & Salakai-Loto to get used and I do expect Rodda will be bought back into the fold too. This will allow them to bring Hosea through at the right pace. If he takes to test rugby like a duck to water he will be a starter soon enough and he on his way to his 100 tests.
I put Hosea in the Wilson, McReight bracket of obvious future talent who will play many tests. He's a very well-rounded player already, he's not just a big guy who can put a shot or two on.

Funny thing about Coleman was that he actually was going to be our saviour after playing a few tests not before he'd played.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There was a fair bit of hype about him before he played test too.

To be fair, I don’t really know what happened. He definitely looked comfortable at test level to start with.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Don't know why people are sleeping on the other 2nd row of the season, Hosea. Man will be a mainstay of the Wallabies for a while, get him in now. He won't disappoint.

I 100% agree, Philip Rodda Hosea LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) Uru Neville & thats not including the best one who prob wont come back. Less than 12 months ago we all thought we were stuffed out of no where we looks pretty good. I didnt want to push in case of bias but I believe Trev seriously could be anything.

If anyone would know you would are Rodda or Philp calling line outs over in the land of baguette & brie?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is Hooper playing TT at all? If not, I wouldn't be parachuting him into the Wallabies. McReight has shown consistently that he deserves that spot. More importantly, JOC (James O'Connor) has shown he should probably be given the C.

I can't recall a more level headed captain since Eales. His decision making this year is perfect for an international game and would do wonders to rub off on the next generation of Wallabies.

I’m not sure that ‘parachuted in’ would be the correct terminology for selecting the current 100+ test Wallaby captain. At least he’s been playing, and he was granted a sabbatical by his employer(s) for several reasons. He doesn’t need to prove anything.

That said, given the schedule v France I’d be happy for he and McReight to share the role for that series and then take it from there.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Is Hooper playing TT at all? If not, I wouldn't be parachuting him into the Wallabies. McReight has shown consistently that he deserves that spot. More importantly, JOC (James O'Connor) has shown he should probably be given the C.

I can't recall a more level headed captain since Eales. His decision making this year is perfect for an international game and would do wonders to rub off on the next generation of Wallabies.
Mowen

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1st, go hard, essentially what we expect is our top team, this is all from the original squad of interest + some of the hookers and Rodda & Philip.
1. Bell
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks
16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Neville
20. McReight
21. McDermott
22. To'omua
23. Petaia

Mid week game, essentially Australia 'A'. Bench get promoted, no one from the 1st and 3rd game XV play. This is where it gets fun.
1. Slipper
2. Longeran - give him good 50 before FF (Folau Fainga'a).
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Neville
5. Hosea
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Naisarani
9. Gordon
10. Lolesio
11. Daugunu
12. Simone
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Maddocks
16. Fainga'a
17. Robertson
18. Faamausili
19. Swain
20. Uru
21. McDermott
22. To'omua
23. Muirhead

3rd game. Again our top team with tinkering from what we've seen and injuries presumably. Maybe some more rotation the bench. Don't have anyone who started in the 2nd game starting this.
1. Bell
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Banks
15. Wright
16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Faamausili
19. Salakai-Loto
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. To'omua
23. Petaia

edit: Looking at it again, wouldn't be surprised if Naisarani didn't feature after last year and signing overseas. Also, Liam Wright doesn't feature which I'm sure he will. Despite having a 2nd string side for the mid-week I didn't get to put in Kemney, Mafi, Antsee & Wright.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I 100% agree, Philip Rodda Hosea LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) Uru Neville & thats not including the best one who prob wont come back. Less than 12 months ago we all thought we were stuffed out of no where we looks pretty good. I didnt want to push in case of bias but I believe Trev seriously could be anything.

If anyone would know you would are Rodda or Philp calling line outs over in the land of baguette & brie?

Hmmm I don't think Rodda calls it at Lyon, I think Cretin, the #6 for France calls it there. Not sure about Philip calling it at Pau, I don't watch many of their games. But I think it's unlikely for a non french speaking player to call it especially Philip or Rodda who aren't even there for a full season. Maybe someone more established.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not sure about the Ala'alatoa/Thor starter/finisher combo so feel free to swap the 3s. Hooker is also a bother for me as Amosa is an epic scrummager but won't be around for later tests, Kaituu has great workethic and Fainga'a has the combo with Brumbies

1. Slipper 2. Kaituu 3. Tupou
4. Rodda 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini 8. Wilson 7. Hoops
9. White 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Paisami 14. Wright 15. Banks

16. Amosa 17. Bell 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Phillips 20. Swinton 21. Mcdermott 22. Hodge 23. Petaia

I think Kaitu'u was quiet in the last couple of games and I'm not sure he is ready for test level. Rodda's form must be a bit of an unknown. Is he even playing top level rugby somewhere? Not sure what to do with the hooker spot, but on form in SRAu I'd be starting Neville in the second row with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at least for the first test.

IMO it will be a backwards step now for Matt To'omua to take the 12 spot, and potentially a waste of some of Paisami's impact to be wider in the 13 spot. Much prefer Paisami at 12 where he has been the standout this year, with Ikitau (or even Kuridrani) in 13.

I know I'm in the minority in not being a Koroibete fan, but again imo Daugunu offers a more rounded winger's game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Kaituu was not quiet the last couple of games, if anything he got better as the season went on and finished with consecutive nominations in the Super Rugby team of the week. He is the in form hooker in Australia without a doubt.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
1st, go hard, essentially what we expect is our top team, this is all from the original squad of interest + some of the hookers and Rodda & Philip.
1. Bell
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10. JO'C
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks
16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Neville
20. McReight
21. McDermott
22. To'omua
23. Petaia

I don't disagree with the strategy for team selection you've put forward, but I really don't see Bell as our top loosehead. Right now I'd have him in 3rd behind Slipper and Robertson. He should definitely get game time as he's a great prospect, but his scrummaging doesn't look to be test match level yet.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I don't disagree with the strategy for team selection you've put forward, but I really don't see Bell as our top loosehead. Right now I'd have him in 3rd behind Slipper and Robertson. He should definitely get game time as he's a great prospect, but his scrummaging doesn't look to be test match level yet.
Yeah I thought a bit about Bell. I think we should throw him in the deep end and he’ll swim. He did so last year and he seems to ride to the level required. I love Slipper but he seems a bit broken and lacking his energy he once had, he used to have wheels and put in momentous occasions, I think Slipper is perfect for a bench role these days.

Do not understand what people see in Robertson at all. Happy to be proved wrong though.