• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Irrelevant. With so many losses, what does that say about his form? I can't pick him after 23 straight losses, even if he was playing for a completely different side.

Should losses have an impact on selection? What if he was a standout in a very bad team?

I guess no Waratahs should be picked for the Wallabies if winning is required. By the end of TT we may have not players deserving of selection.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Conrad Smith.
Brian O'Driscoll.
Neither massive frames, weights similar to Hunter.
I wouldn't be too fixated on size. He hits hard enough.

yeah well if hunter has 1/4 of a career of those 2 i'll stand corrected, but until then over 80 min I am backing ALB/Ioana & I am a massive hunter fan

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
yeah well if hunter has 1/4 of a career of those 2 i'll stand corrected, but until then over 80 min I am backing ALB/Ioana & I am a massive hunter fan
He is, on form, easily the best 13 currently running around in Oz. You brought up the issue of size. My point is he packs a big punch for his size so it's really not a big issue.
Should we pick someone bigger who is less skilful, less dynamic and in poorer form?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am so completely unconcerned with Paisami's size that it just doest count. On wiki, for what it's worth, Ikitau is 95 kg and Paisami 90. Paisami wins that battle so easily it is silly.

Ikitau can fight out of position for 12. Not sure he'll do well but 13 is taken.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Personally I'd take Stewart at 12 over Ikitau. Which clearly isn't happening, but I think Ikitau may be travelling poorly at 12. And double stuffed at 13 against Paisami.

Ikitau is on the bench I think.

Best.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Should losses have an impact on selection? What if he was a standout in a very bad team?

I guess no Waratahs should be picked for the Wallabies if winning is required. By the end of TT we may have not players deserving of selection.

Missed the joke by a bit.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Personally I'd take Stewart at 12 over Ikitau. Which clearly isn't happening, but I think Ikitau may be travelling poorly at 12. And double stuffed at 13 against Paisami.

Best.
Urgh, Stewart has been atrocious last few games i've seen. Has Ikitau ever played 12?

I'm not sure i follow your reasoning. Definitely, Paisami over Ikitau at 13. But Ikitau at 12? nah. I'd take Simone, To'omua or even JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 over him there.

I also think Paisami is more likely to play 12 than Ikitau, simply because he can play it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Best.
Are you confusing Ikitau with Simone?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s not so much Paismi’s kicking at 12 which is a worry to me. It’s his left to right pass.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Are you confusing Ikitau with Simone?

haha! Nope. In the stupid conversation that suggests that Paisami should go to 12 because Ikitau might pass at 13, I make an obvious counter. I don't think Ikitau will displace Paisami, and so Paisami should not need to shift from his best position.

Can Ikitau fight Simone at 12? Don't give a shit. Paisami does not get pushed to 12 and fight against Simone because Ikitau is not as good as Paisami at, well any position.

It seems to me to be a stupid conversation.

Paisami: 13.

Reactions: TSR

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If Paisami continues to work on his kicking game then he is a good chance of been the starting 12, if that's not up to scratch, then To'omua will come into strong contention for 12, he is still the best tactical kicking inside back in Australia

I’ve never really regarded To'omua’s career long habit of kicking straight down the throat of the back three as ‘tactical’. I have no problem with him at 12, but it ain’t for his kicking!

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s about my take KOB. If anything, his kicking puts me off a bit. I get that he is currently playing to the Rebels game plan but he’s always had a bit of a habit of kicking the ball away. And I don’t see him as significantly better than the other kickers.

Where To'omua appeals to me is as a robust runner with a good passing game and as a strong defender who can organise and lead our defensive line.

Conversely I see Paisami as a guy who could be an excellent 12, but at the moment he is an excellent 13 who can play 12 at a passable level.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Paisami continues to work on his kicking game then he is a good chance of been the starting 12, if that's not up to scratch, then To'omua will come into strong contention for 12, he is still the best tactical kicking inside back in Australia
Yes all though questions about To’omua’s form etc your comment made me rethink that he still deserves a go starting at 12 for wallabies for French tests given a) his form issues been playing 10 for rebels and to me always been more a 12 then a 10 b) playing for rebels who have wider coaching, game plan and team cohesion issues and c) he was very good at 12 last year for wallabies before his injury. So yep maybe start with To’omua and Paisami as 12 and 13 combo...for first up French test and if that does not work Paisami and ikatau (or Godwin)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’ve never really regarded To'omua’s career long habit of kicking straight down the throat of the back three as ‘tactical’. I have no problem with him at 12, but it ain’t for his kicking!

That comment probably speaks more to the caliber of the other kicking options at 12, but he is still the best kicker of the inside backs in Australia.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hunter is currently the best at 13, but I reckon he could be one of our best ever at 12, along with the likes of Tim Horan though different.
Yep reminds me of the past kiwi rugby 12 (nomu) but to me already played 12 and 13 at wallaby level against best side in the world and been very good so reality is first pick for either centre position so a case of which other player you select to determine whether Plays 12 or 13. As other poster gave examples of Conrad smith and Brian o’discoll of size being an issue for him (fact performed at this level already proved that is a fallacy) but also he is very nuggety muscular solid player as well that makes him suitable for 13.