• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Individually and collectively NZ players and so as a result teams, have more skill and more rugby smarts, and the results reflect this.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m still confident the Wallabies will give NZ a good crack.

The issue with the current beltings in super rugby is lack of depth compared to uber depth in NZ. It is being discussed at length in other threads so I won’t go into detail here but I think our best 23 mixes it well with the all blacks.

Bit of a reality check for the blokes in Oz who thought they were hot shit is good as well.
Yeah, not to single him out as he obviously tried his heart out last night, but as an example Bryce Hegarty would struggle to make the Hawkes bay 23. A problem I see is that the kiwis all play more or less the same style. Which makes fitting into the ABs system easier. Our Super Rugby teams play fairly different styles, ie the rolling maul is a strength and the main attacking platform for the Brums, but less so for other teams. Do the wallabies use that tactic? Does the pack have to be stacked with Brums for it to work in a test? I too think our best 23 will be competitive and good for an upset.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’m still confident the Wallabies will give NZ a good crack.

The issue with the current beltings in super rugby is lack of depth compared to uber depth in NZ. It is being discussed at length in other threads so I won’t go into detail here but I think our best 23 mixes it well with the all blacks.

Bit of a reality check for the blokes in Oz who thought they were hot shit is good as well.
Good call. NZ are going to smash anyone for depth. South African Super sides were similar hot garbage to ours and they were fine competing with NZ at the top level. Argentina couldn’t put together anymore than one Super side and were fantastic last year.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’m just thinking Wilson and Valetini are excellent foils. It’s no surprise that Wilson had a blinder in a game that was fast and loose where he wasn’t bogged down in the tight. He’s at his best when he can run a channel or two wider and throw his offloads. Valetini, on the other hand, is a beast in contact close to the ruck. I’d love to see those two starting with Rob owning the tighter channels of the field and Harry given the freedom to roam wider.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I didn't get to see the Tahs game, due other commitments - not by choice, but in the other games these are the players I thought either enhanced or diminished their prospects of a test call up.

Winners : Harry Wilson, Liam Wright, Suliasi Vunivalu, Darcy Swain, Nick Frost, Rob Valetini, Len Ikitau, Jordan Uelese, Michael Wells, Isi Naisarani, Feleti Kaitu'u, Tom Robertson, Tim Anstee, Kane Koteka.

Losers : JOC (James O'Connor), Hunter Paisami (in 13), Scott Sio, Noah Lolesio, Matt To'omua.

In the race for the No 13 jersey, imo Ikitau finished ahead of Paisami this round. He finished the game favouring a shouldefr - hopefully not too serious.

Wilson and Valetini are shortening as the 6/8 combination. As Up the Guts says above, Wilson looks much better being able to run a little wider, and the way Valetini is playing in close, he would be able to do that in tandem with Rob.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Last year Petaia performed very well at 13 and I reckon that Rennie will keep this in mind. If To'omua continues to remain out of form, and he was pretty bad on the weekend(alongside many others), it would not surprise to see Rennie go back to a Paisami/Petaia midfield.
I know that Petaia has been substandard on the wing this year with touches of brilliance. I just dont think BT is the right bloke to be guiding Jordan Petaia. Rennie can put him back in a good head space and play him at 13. To'omua and/or Hodge on the pine as backup.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
It's good that Wilson and Valentini both jump pretty well so you don't lose much by having them both.

I'm liking what Valentini is doing at 8 at the moment

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Last year Petaia performed very well at 13 and I reckon that Rennie will keep this in mind. If To'omua continues to remain out of form, and he was pretty bad on the weekend(alongside many others), it would not surprise to see Rennie go back to a Paisami/Petaia midfield.
I know that Petaia has been substandard on the wing this year with touches of brilliance. I just dont think BT is the right bloke to be guiding Jordan Petaia. Rennie can put him back in a good head space and play him at 13. To'omua and/or Hodge on the pine as backup.

Petaia scheduled to be out injured for another 4 weeks, so won’t play at all in the Trans Tasman comp, based on current injury forecasts.

Hard to see Rennie picking a bloke in position he hasn’t played much this year, who’s out of form and won’t have any footy under his belt for 2 months.

I don’t think Thorn’s coaching is Petaia’s problem. His problem is what is going on right now, another injury set back. The bloke barely played any senior footy after high school before going pro and has dealt with I think at least 4 major injuries since becoming a full time Reds player. Hard to get confidence when you’re barely on the park.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I didn't get to see the Tahs game, due other commitments - not by choice, but in the other games these are the players I thought either enhanced or diminished their prospects of a test call up.

Angus Bell, Jake Gordon, Lachie Swinton and Will Harrison all played well.

Charlie Gamble was outstanding but isn't really in the frame for the Wallabies even if eligible.

In general I think Bell and Gordon are making a strong push to be part of the first choice 23 again (both on the bench).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Petaia scheduled to be out injured for another 4 weeks, so won’t play at all in the Trans Tasman comp, based on current injury forecasts.

Hard to see Rennie picking a bloke in position he hasn’t played much this year, who’s out of form and won’t have any footy under his belt for 2 months.

I don’t think Thorn’s coaching is Petaia’s problem. His problem is what is going on right now, another injury set back. The bloke barely played any senior footy after high school before going pro and has dealt with I think at least 4 major injuries since becoming a full time Reds player. Hard to get confidence when you’re barely on the park.
I didn’t realise he was out for so long. I’d guess that Rennie will still bring him in to the squad when fit.
The mid field is problematic.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Angus Bell, Jake Gordon, Lachie Swinton and Will Harrison all played well.

Charlie Gamble was outstanding but isn't really in the frame for the Wallabies even if eligible.

In general I think Bell and Gordon are making a strong push to be part of the first choice 23 again (both on the bench).
I know White is seen as a lock in for 9, but on his form this year Gordon is making a pretty good case to challenge that.

Our weakness in kicking in other positions probably means White will still be first choice, but Gordon seems to have really lifted his standard this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know White is seen as a lock in for 9, but on his form this year Gordon is making a pretty good case to challenge that.

Our weakness in kicking in other positions probably means White will still be first choice, but Gordon seems to have really lifted his standard this year.

Gordon is on parity with White in kicking, White's game management is better whilst Gordon has better pace

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Gordon must be favourite for bench spot - and white probably only getting starting gig on incumbency as would say Gordon ahead of White at this stage (slightly)

Alex Ross (28)
Yes but I stopped reading at this point. Robbie Deans gave Hooper the start, Link gave him the captaincy

Were it not for David Pocock and Michael Cheika’s preference of one of his own Waratahs, Michael Hooper, it could have been Gill with 100 Tests.

Yes. The smoke that this article blows up Gills skirt is laughable. Gill is a good flanker. But he is not Hooper.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
More than piss poor, and we wonder why we have lost every TT game. Johnson’s position is a drain on finances.

Gill would probably make the wallabies squad but not sure would make matchday 23 but that does not matter as about luring quality player back to bolster super rugby sides first I would have thought so you complete the conversations saying yeh well we can't pay you x but can pay you y. Just the fact Johnson did not communicate back to Rennie sounds bit poor.