• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not really a new thing, but our blokes don't seem to have the same upper body strength a lot of test match teams do now (boks and argies spring to mind). Seems to be even important in defence these days
I said it in the match thread that Harry Wilson could use an extended preseason to spend some time in the gym but think that could go for a few guys. You're right we look a lot thinner up top, we might need to up our bench volume.

Although, I am suspicious about the sups being used by England, SA, and Argentina. They look a little too puffed up.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I said it in the match thread that Harry Wilson could use an extended preseason to spend some time in the gym but think that could go for a few guys. You're right we look a lot thinner up top, we might need to up our bench volume.

Although, I am suspicious about the sups being used by England, SA, and Argentina. They look a little too puffed up.

It’s always hard to gauge off physical appearance..no doubt Wilson has room for physical development and maturity off his body left, he certainly hasn’t hit his peak yet that’s for sure.

In terms of strengths and conditioning, upper body sure helps but but in terms of what the wallabies are doing at the scrum and some of the hits in contact, they don’t seem to be lacking in strength through their core and legs, which is the more critical aspect.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Talking 15 I think Maddocks is potentially the best 15 in the country, however unless he can get the mental game right he's never going to realise that. When he's on he's the full package, good positional play, safe under the high ball, a big boot and a great running game. But if a couple of things go wrong and the confidence drops, you would be better off without him. He really needs to toughen up mentally, I guess we'll see what the next super season brings.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought Maddocks's biggest issue was, he's a defensive liability, like, up there with Quade Cooper's inability to tackle?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Maddocks exemplifies the difference between a player who is technically proficient versus natural gifted. Someone like Jock Campbell is technically a very good player, physically he doesn’t have the size, speed or agility that Maddocks has, but he makes good use of what he does.

I always just thought Maddocks just needed some additional coaching, sometimes he looks like a cross-code convert who doesn’t actually know the rules or nuisances of the game.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
In terms of strengths and conditioning, upper body sure helps but but in terms of what the wallabies are doing at the scrum and some of the hits in contact, they don’t seem to be lacking in strength through their core and legs, which is the more critical aspect.
Agree about this. I know Rugby S&C teams in Australia haven't big on upper body isolation movements for a while and the focus has been on dynamic lower body movements. However, a number of sides look bigger up top and seem to be playing bigger.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree about this. I know Rugby S&C teams in Australia haven't big on upper body isolation movements for a while and the focus has been on dynamic lower body movements. However, a number of sides look bigger up top and seem to be playing bigger.

Northern Hemisphere teams have always carried more size and thats a reflection of the conditions in and style of rugby experienced up north. Australia and New Zealand have always gone with slightly less size and more fitness/speed across the park. French rugby is obsessed with size, and i'm not sure its a good thing, I think its about finding the right balance.

That been said, theres some young guys in the squad who still have room to fill out some more in the next year or two.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Northern Hemisphere teams have always carried more size and thats a reflection of the conditions in and style of rugby experienced up north. Australia and New Zealand have always gone with slightly less size and more fitness/speed across the park. French rugby is obsessed with size, and i'm not sure its a good thing, I think its about finding the right balance.

That been said, theres some young guys in the squad who still have room to fill out some more in the next year or two.
I'm not necessarily sold on the "more size is better" mantra either, rather more useful strength / power. I will say that the Argentine forwards especially showed immense core-strength in how they tackled and held their opponents, even one-on-one, meaning quick recycle seldom happened.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

A not so insignificant amount of South African Schoolboys have more in common with Arnold Schwarzenegger than hard to spell last names.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A not so insignificant amount of South African Schoolboys have more in common with Arnold Schwarzenegger than hard to spell last names.
Definitely and I think many would be surprised at how many of our juniors spend or have spent time on a cycle.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Talking 15 I think Maddocks is potentially the best 15 in the country, however unless he can get the mental game right he's never going to realise that. When he's on he's the full package, good positional play, safe under the high ball, a big boot and a great running game. But if a couple of things go wrong and the confidence drops, you would be better off without him. He really needs to toughen up mentally, I guess we'll see what the next super season brings.
Agree 100% Froggy.

I’m hoping a bit a maturity, experience brings that self-confidence & consistency.

Based on his Super AU session I wouldn’t have had an issue if they had picked him, but nor did I have an issue that they didn’t.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Definitely and I think many would be surprised at how many of our juniors spend or have spent time on a cycle.

These blokes? They're all natty bra. Except for Lood, obviously.

iu

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not necessarily sold on the "more size is better" mantra either, rather more useful strength / power. I will say that the Argentine forwards especially showed immense core-strength in how they tackled and held their opponents, even one-on-one, meaning quick recycle seldom happened.

Agree there are more important things in rugby than the bulk up top, but equally have you goddamn seen the rig being piloted by Marcos Kremer? That boy looks as huge as he plays right now

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Maddocks exemplifies the difference between a player who is technically proficient versus natural gifted. Someone like Jock Campbell is technically a very good player, physically he doesn’t have the size, speed or agility that Maddocks has, but he makes good use of what he does.

I always just thought Maddocks just needed some additional coaching, sometimes he looks like a cross-code convert who doesn’t actually know the rules or nuisances of the game.
Close. He was a highly talented cricketer and that was his main focus at school. Allegedly he could have gone to the highest level but at some point after school he switched his focus to rugby.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

I'm actually hoping that Penney is the right coach for him because I agree, he looks like he needs a combo of some good coaching and real mentorship to reach his potential. I'm not sure Wessels with his own personal struggles and growth was ever going to do that for Maddocks.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm actually hoping that Penney is the right coach for him because I agree, he looks like he needs a combo of some good coaching and real mentorship to reach his potential. I'm not sure Wessels with his own personal struggles and growth was ever going to do that for Maddocks.

That’s all he is missing, just time under some good quality coaching

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Need to unearth a fullback. Reds have a couple of good colts coming through, but do we trial Petaia there?

I think I'm an outlier but I thought Banks was pretty decent at full back. Catches most, kicks well but doesn't bring anything exceptional and had the odd brain fart.

I hope Banks gets that kind of feedback from Rennie and co. so he has an idea what he needs to work on and improve to get consistent test selection. He is only 26 so has many more years of rugby to go.

As for Petaia, yes if we have To'omua and Paisami performing like they did (playing at 12 and 13) I would imagine he can potentially be on a wing or full back but really think he has a future at centre. He tackles well, can pass, can run etc. just needs to iron out his game management and get a bit better rugby brain (which will come as the poor bloke is only 20!).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The biggest obstacle for Wright is he's behind Banks and probably won't get much time at 15 for the Brumbies. Even if Banks is injured or rested they've got Mack Hansen who is a fine player in his own right.

Regardless, if I was involved in the Wallabies setup I'd be telling Canberra that I wanted to see Wright spend some time at 15. He's the best in Australia at standing his man up and creating space on the outside. I can really see him creating the sort of havoc Ben Smith did in channel between 13 and the winger.

The more I hear about Wright at 15 the more i like the idea. Banks is pretty damn good at super xv level but I'd still want to see what Wright can do.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
RWC Pool Draw in 10 minutes, could be interesting. The Tiers already seem outdated:
Teir 1: S.Africa, NZ, England, Wales
Teir 2: Ireland, Wallabies, France, Japan
Teir 3: Scotland, Argies, Fiji, Italy
Teir 4 & 5: Minnows

Unsure when the teirs were made as the Welsh are now 9th in the World and stinking it up in NH.

A group of England, France and Argies would be great.

Equally Wales, Wallabies, Italy would be very nice.