• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes to Hodge, I forgot about him as a 15. I’ve always thought he has a bit of the Chris Latham’s about him - awkward but elusive, the big boot to go with it, and deceptively quick.
Willing at this point to give hodge a run at fullback given lack of options but yet to be convinced he is the answer...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He is probably the safest choice first up.

Safe vs unpredictable which Is what could see with petaita. Keen to see what a player like petatia could offer at the back with space and in broken play but not against also starting hodge. Just not banks, maddocks, Campbell and pincus at this point as while all good super rugby full backs not seeing any of them as wallaby standard full backs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wright has all the skill to be a fullback.. but Banks offers to much too be dropped at Super Level..

One guy I wish get a chance but won't.. Muirhead what a footy player.. can we grow him six inches and 10 kgs
Yeh he has been the form winger and did think of him as wallaby squad bolter if keeps up that form. I agree banks offers too much also to drop at super rugby level. I am also not sure about Wright at fullback but probably not looked close enough at wright to consider ruling that out.

At this point with no super rugby fullbacks showing wallaby level performances considering wingers with X factor who could play fullback has to be something in the mix.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
For me it is Hodge as first man up. I think Wright would be great there, he played a lot of schoolboys there. Showed he is a smart player with a good boot last year, although as mentioned Banks has less flexibility, so at the Brumbies he is locked in at FB.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Is Hodge really the best we can do in 2020?

What makes him the first choice- he's barely even a first choice fullback at Super Rugby.

We currently have a bunch of possible full backs who are not stand-out first choices for the national team!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be good to see Wright given a run there for the Brumbies, or at least some minutes after moving from the wing later in the game. He looked so good behind the line for the Wallabies last year.
Nice to have so much talent available!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It would be good to see Wright given a run there for the Brumbies, or at least some minutes after moving from the wing later in the game. He looked so good behind the line for the Wallabies last year.
Nice to have so much talent available!

It would be nicer still if one of them would scoop the pool and become the undisputed new star 15!

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I would not want to see Petaita at Full back. He has a huge amount of talent and can do some amazing things but can also have brain explosions which at Full back is a recipe for disaster. I am not sure if his kicking is that strong either but I stand to be corrected on that.
I like Hodge in the Wallaby camp but I want him on the bench as I think he is serviceable in so many different positions across the back line. I guess you could go with Hodge at full back if you had Petaita on the bench as he can also cover a few positions, though not fly-half or full back. It is a quandary.
I would like to see Wright stay on the wing for the Wobs. He doesn't play full back in Super Rugby and I think you need a winger who can kick so you can have Marika on the other wing. Given at the moment you pretty much have to play Marika, on form alone, it is a difficult choice.
So I guess I am probably back to Banks or if he can get fit DHP.

More important how good are the Wallaby front-row stocks looking.
It is the big men people are coming to see after all and anyone who disagrees, you are dead to me.

I must admit I did shed a small tear watching the big Cabous running around like a carefree fawn on the weekend.
Hopefully, he can qualify for the white hats in a year or so.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So picking side on form and players know back for internationals..and more what think will be selected

1. Sio
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Phillips
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valentini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10 JOC (James O'Connor) (c)
11. Koriobete
12 To’omua
13. Ikatau
14. Petaitia
15. Hodge / Wright
16. F’aingai
17. Slipper
18. Aaaa
19. Hosea / Rodda
20. Samu/ Hanigan
21. Parisami
22. Tate
23. muirhead/ Wright / hodge / Vunivalu

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So picking side on form and players know back for internationals..and more what think will be selected

1. Sio
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Phillips
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valentini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White
10 JOC (James O'Connor) (c)
11. Koriobete
12 To’omua
13. Ikatau
14. Petaitia
15. Hodge / Wright
16. F’aingai
17. Slipper
18. Aaaa
19. Hosea / Rodda
20. Samu/ Hanigan
21. Parisami
22. Tate
23. muirhead/ Wright / hodge / Vunivalu

Sounds like a kind of cheese.

We still have some pretty serious issues at Hooker.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
If I was Rennie, I'd be targeting one of (Tom Wright, Mark Nawaqanitawase, and Jordan Petaia) as the long-term fullback/s. Every other back-three winger/2nd fullback in the country looks bang average.

But these guys have it all: Size, height, long-levers, flair, athleticism, speed. The complete package.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If I was Rennie, I'd be targeting one of (Tom Wright, Mark Nawaqanitawase, and Jordan Petaia) as the long-term fullback/s. Every other back-three player/fullback in the country looks bang average.

But these guys have it all: Size, height, long-levers, flair, athleticism, speed. The complete package.

I would add Vunivalu. For no particular reason, other than he has the height, agility, and particularly the speed for it. Nawaqanitawase is not ready yet, IMHO. But he will be sooner rather than later a fixture in our back three.

Petaia would be my choice.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would add Vunivalu. For no particular reason, other than he has the height, agility, and particularly the speed for it. Nawaqanitawase is not ready yet, IMHO. But he will be sooner rather than later a fixture in our back three.

Petaia would be my choice.
Yes Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is only just starting to nail down super rugby starting spot and had some defensive frailties so should not be in any wallaby conversation at this point.