• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Poor form but not surprising given your other comments during the season

Haha do you dispute that the reason the Force don't have many players in the squad despite their strong showing is that all their talented players, bar a few, are foreign? Why is that offensive?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
4 players in the squad who have all committed to leaving aus yet we refuse to selected the Gitau law players or the extra 2.

Yeah Rennie said to be selected they will have to play for a Super Rugby team that year or be signed for the next.

Positives:

our backrow is so stacked Swinton won't even get near the starting side. I can't wait to see Hooper, Wilson and Valetini get stuck in, with Naisarani coming in off the bench.

If Gordon is fit we have three in form scrumhalves.

Even with several high profile injuries we have a lot of fire-power on the wings.

My areas of concern:
Hooker and our lineout. I have a bad feeling this will be targeted and picked apart.

Tighthead. Tupous form evaporated as soon as he played non-Australian opposition. Starting to look like a bit of a flat track bully. AAAs form has been iffy all year. Pones been injured and his scrummaging isnt up to scratch.

Centres. To'omua way out of form. Ikitau quite limited in my opinion. Ill be surprised if Perese is fit. That leaves us with Paisami and Foketi(?).

Fullback: if banks goes down.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I did find that a bit odd. Not so much not picking the OS players - I’m good with that - but why not pick the guys who are staying.

I'm just a bit confused by the message that RA is pushing, "we cant pick OS players because then the will leave in numbers" but if your leaving that's fine. "we are looking to build a squad focused on 2023" but we pick a 34 yo & a 29 yo that currently 39 on the park.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Haha do you dispute that the reason the Force don't have many players in the squad despite their strong showing is that all their talented players, bar a few, are foreign? Why is that offensive?

I dispute it. Certainly Robinson, Lee-Warner and perhaps Stander, Godwin and Kuridrani offer something. I'm more concerned that serial meatheads like Swinton get picked but perhaps Rennie believes he can change a leopard's spots (and good luck to him if he can).

But apart from that, the snark about foreign legion ignores the fact that there was no certainty about SRAU until well into this calendar year AND the Force had to look at who was available at short notice.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
We have posters lamenting the lack of size in the centres. TK is about the only one with a good bit of size and ability to fill that role, if deemed important. Not in the squad so Rennie and Co must be satisfied with whom they've got.

I would guess the lamenting is more sentimental and parochial. Many one-eyed supporter were enamoured with Kerevi and TK until they departed and the backlines adapted and actually improved. I get the size issue, but really what are we looking for? I think the issue here is the argument is based on apples v oranges, and in fact we just cant see it in reality all just apples.

The logic or even weight of the argument ends when you look back at Conrad Smith and his time in the ABs. We all though he was a light weight. Same as Ikitau at the Brumbies.

But in reality:

As a benchmark - Laumape - 1.8m, 97kg / Smith - 1.85m, 95kg

Paisami - 1.7m, 90kg
Perese - 1.8m 91kg
Hodge - 1.9m, 94kg
To'omua - 1.8m, 91kg
Foketi - 1.8m, 99kg
Ikitau - 1.8m, 95kg

Reiko Ioane - 1.9m, 103kg
Kerevi -1.85m, 108kg (at the Reds), 112kgs currently.
TK - 1.9m, 102kg currently
Nonu - 1.8m, 108kg

As the saying goes, its not all about size. :rolleyes:

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah Rennie said to be selected they will have to play for a Super Rugby team that year or be signed for the next.

My areas of concern:

Centres. To'omua way out of form. Ikitau quite limited in my opinion. Ill be surprised if Perese is fit. That leaves us with Paisami and Foketi(?).

Fullback: if banks goes down.

Ikitua is actual quite a talent, but is being hampered by the "white Econovan" attack of the Brumbies of late.

Agree with the fullback issue.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
TK sure might be bigger on paper, but it would only take a casual glance over this year's matches to see that Ikitau and Perese are more likely to break the line.

Pereses also more likely to shift defensive pressure onto those outside him, talented kid but defensive liability with his decision making at 13

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I dispute it. Certainly Robinson, Lee-Warner and perhaps Stander, Godwin and Kuridrani offer something. I'm more concerned that serial meatheads like Swinton get picked but perhaps Rennie believes he can change a leopard's spots (and good luck to him if he can).

But apart from that, the snark about foreign legion ignores the fact that there was no certainty about SRAU until well into this calendar year AND the Force had to look at who was available at short notice.

Mate, I love that the Force have hired foreigners. I wish other teams would do it (if they could), I think the Force's approach is the solution for Aus Rugby. I'm a big fan of the Force. I was just explaining why the Rebels had the 3rd most players in the squad. 'Cause half your starting XV are ineligible.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mate, I love that the Force have hired foreigners. I wish other teams would do it (if they could), I think the Force's approach is the solution for Aus Rugby. I'm a big fan of the Force. I was just explaining why the Rebels had the 3rd most players in the squad. 'Cause half your starting XV are ineligible.

Agree I think the Force’a recruitment strategy has been clever and astute getting experienced overseas older players who don’t cost a bomb plus recruitment of other younger ones like Argentina players and English winger on loan.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If TK is 102kgs I’ll eat my underwear. I’d call him the biggest of Kerevi, Ioane and Nonu

I would suggest tomato sauce as the condiment. Can you send us a pic?:p

snip 1b.JPG
snip 1a.JPG

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Best possible 23, considering the injured personal:

1. James Slipper
2. Brandon Paenga Amosa
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5. Matt Phillip
6. Rob Valetini