• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I did find that a bit odd. Not so much not picking the OS players - I’m good with that - but why not pick the guys who are staying.

I know Arnold and Skelton weren't realistic for this campaign (hopefully different story for RC) but yes with the injuries we have we would have loved Kerevi (though he may have preferred olympic campaign > french series)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Positives:

our backrow is so stacked Swinton won't even get near the starting side. I can't wait to see Hooper, Wilson and Valetini get stuck in, with Naisarani coming in off the bench.
Not a good starting backrow if we are concerned about our lineout ability.

My areas of concern:
Hooker and our lineout. I have a bad feeling this will be targeted and picked apart.

Errr, yes. If we cannot at least hold our own in the set pieces we are stuffed.

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
LHP is really a toss up, Slipper I love but he's been out and Bell is great around the park but struggles a bit more in scum (so needs the best 2 and 3 scrummagers.

1. Bell 2. Amosa 3. Tupou
4. Phillip 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini 8. Wilson 7. Hoops
9. White 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Wright 12. To'omua 13. Paisami 14. Koroibete 15. banks
16. Kaituu 17. Slipper 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Timani 20. Naisarani 21. Mcdermott 22. Hodge 23. Daugunu

TBH, I'm just not comfortable with Foketi/Simone/Ikitau at this level (assuming Simone takes Pereses spot, but would rather K train). Without Kerevi, Petaia and Perese I think a To'omua/paisami combo is the best we have.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Comfortable with that UTR except Timani on the bench, would have either Swain or Leota ahead of him.
An alternative would be to start with Slipper and Kaitu'u, and have Bell and BPA off the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hodge and To'omua are very lucky to get selected based on form.

If I was ikitau I would be upset.same as Fergus Lee-Warner.

Was Anstee available for selection? Though he might be a good development player
Hodge? He is still a better centre than most of those selected

With Perese likely gone, he could be our 13 option with Hunter at 12

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Comfortable with that UTR except Timani on the bench, would have either Swain or Leota ahead of him.
An alternative would be to start with Slipper and Kaitu'u, and have Bell and BPA off the bench.

Agree with the front row, my only hesitation with slipper (who would normally be my top pick) is that he has been out injured and I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes.

I chose Timani > Swain or Leota for set piece reasons. My starting XV doesn't scream set piece nous but Timani has been great at Lineout time so could come on a steady the ship, in addition to being a huge human. I'd be going the safe option for the 1st game.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Hodge? He is still a better centre than most of those selected

I'd say we've seen Hodge hit his ceiling of potential and to be frank, it's like a lot of sharehouses that have a downstairs 'living' room that isn't legal height.

Chirsty Doran reported this over the weekend;
They are approaching selection in the same way World Cup-winning coach Bob Dwyer are in some cases, where if a player is not going to challenge to be in a world XV, find someone who is – or will be in the future.

Hodge has struggled to cement a starting spot in the Australian team for the last few years, what's the odds he'll somehow produce something new that'll elevate him to a world XV?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd say we've seen Hodge hit his ceiling of potential and to be frank, it's like a lot of sharehouses that have a downstairs 'living' room that isn't legal height.

Chirsty Doran reported this over the weekend;

Hodge has struggled to cement a starting spot in the Australian team for the last few years, what's the odds he'll somehow produce something new that'll elevate him to a world XV?

Look it might be different if Petaia, Vunivalu and DHP were fit, and Maddocks was delivering, but Hodge is a very solid player with good international experience and a huge point of difference in his boot. At the end of the day he covers the whole back line barring 9 and can kick goals from over 50 out. He may not be in the best 15, or even the best 23, but he is exactly the sort of player you want filling out a world cup squad.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He may not be in the best 15, or even the best 23, but he is exactly the sort of player you want filling out a world cup squad.

No problem with that, I was more getting at, I don't really see the point of Hodge being picked at 12/13 i.e. as a starter.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just about every team plays a Jack of all trades off the bench now. Frans Steyn (well past it but still the most versatile player in SA), Max Malins (Eng), McKenzie (NZ) etc.

What I think many people seem to be unable to get their head around is Hodge isn’t competing against others for their starting spot (although could potentially be the best fullback in Aus), Hodge is leading the race to be the versatile bench utility every country has. Until someone else is better at that role, he will continue to be selected because it offers so many more options to the coach on game day. JOC (James O'Connor) is prob the only other person capable of doing the role but he’s the starting 10 and a little on the slow side now to play wing.

Hegarty is Hodge’s closest rival for his position in the team. Issak Fines plays a similar role but fills the scrum half play maker utility instead. Until someone else is developed to cover as many spots he will continue to be selected. Jack Maddocks is someone who potentially could of but ended up specializing at 15 and wing. Perhaps Hamish Stewart should get another string to his bow by playing 13 or wing.

It’s very modern rugby thinking, but utility back is it’s own role in the team now.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With To'omua looking like ass in the last few weeks at least, who starts at center along with Pisami if not Matt?
Given his wallaby form last season to me this justifies To’omua starting in absence of other strong contenders..heck even Paisami has been so so last few weeks.

Would not be surprised to see Foketi get a guernesy if say perese out and with Paisami at 13. (If To’omua bombs in first test against french). I reckon Foketi will get a run in one of the French tests for Rennie to see what he can offer..

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Errr, yes. If we cannot at least hold our own in the set pieces we are stuffed.

Watching the Reds game really reinforced to me how dependant we (as in Aussie teams) are on set piece. There were several times where you could BPA and some of the other forwards were talking with the ref about what they had to do to get rewarded in the scrum even when they did not have dominance. It seemed to be a real focus.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Given his wallaby form last season to me this justifies To’omua starting in absence of other strong contenders..heck even Paisami has been so so last few weeks.

Would not be surprised to see Foketi get a guernesy if say perese out and with Paisami at 13. (If To’omua bombs in first test against french). I reckon Foketi will get a run in one of the French tests for Rennie to see what he can offer..

Such a true Aussie rugby statement right there!

What other group of rugby supporters would overlook the really recent poor form and go back a season or so to justify a player picked on name and reputation that is pretty much past his best before date.

Love it!;)

[insert French accent] You except success; no?:confused: