• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Okay saying it now, Rennie get on the phone to Arnold & Skelton & get them to perth asap! The Top14 is prob the best league for forwards & Philip was from all reports the 4th best australian lock last season behind the 2 mentioned & Rodda. Lets not hold grudges just pick the best side we can.

PS my bias would say my man Hosea but i'm also a realist just pick them!

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
When is Vunivalu back in action?

No one can deny that he is one of our two best wingers in this country. The athleticism and ability he demonstrated in his few games with the Reds this season place him well above the likes of Wright, Petaia and Daungunu.

He needs to be picked as soon as he is fit!

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
When is Vunivalu back in action?

No one can deny that he is one of our two best wingers in this country. The athleticism and ability he demonstrated in his few games with the Reds this season place him well above the likes of Wright, Petaia and Daungunu.

He needs to be picked as soon as he is fit!
He’s played like 120 minutes of combined rugby; and while he looks pretty good ball in hand, he looks equally as concerning without it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Okay saying it now, Rennie get on the phone to Arnold & Skelton & get them to perth asap!

No, no, no. Certainly not Skelton. He goes well in the slow version of the game, but I cannot see him excelling against the current AB piggies on a very fast track. Apart from anything else, I cannot imagine how he would win a lineout. Maybe Arnold, but I can't see why either of them would want to fly to Perth, and endure 14 days in quarantine, then fly back, just to earn a cap and a few thousand bucks.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t mind them bring either back, but three observations -
- we have bought a number of players back from Europe who were supposedly much better players over there then when they were here. I don’t think they’ve conclusively matched the build up. I don’t think, for example, either White or Beale came back materially better players.
- Rodda apparently went on record recently to say that he wasn’t fit enough for test rugby after his stint in French Rugby - although I will admit I can’t find the link, so happy to be corrected of that is wrong or out of context
- Arnold was very good in the last two seasons of Super Rugby, but he never killed it at test level. In the World Cup Rodda was clearly our best lock. Not to say he wouldn’t be an asset, he did have good tests, and he was very good at super rugby, I just don’t know how he has ended up on the ‘automatic’ pick list

If they get called back - great. I’m on board. But I doubt they will, and I won’t be expecting our performance will suddenly jump a level. In the meantime I’m happy that the guys we have need to improve but are worth persisting with.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I don’t mind them bring either back, but three observations -
- we have bought a number of players back from Europe who were supposedly much better players over there then when they were here. I don’t think they’ve conclusively matched the build up. I don’t think, for example, either White or Beale came back materially better players.
- Rodda apparently went on record recently to say that he wasn’t fit enough for test rugby after his stint in French Rugby - although I will admit I can’t find the link, so happy to be corrected of that is wrong or out of context
- Arnold was very good in the last two seasons of Super Rugby, but he never killed it at test level. In the World Cup Rodda was clearly our best lock. Not to say he wouldn’t be an asset, he did have good tests, and he was very good at super rugby, I just don’t know how he has ended up on the ‘automatic’ pick list

If they get called back - great. I’m on board. But I doubt they will, and I won’t be expecting our performance will suddenly jump a level. In the meantime I’m happy that the guys we have need to improve but are worth persisting with.
Rodda mentioned (can’t find the link either) that he gained from the physicality but the fitness was an issue returning to Aus. I can only see that as a positive. Learning physicality is an experience and regaining fitness is the easy task. On whole, we lack the metal toughness of aggression here. Give them a week in camp with Rennie and they’ll understand fitness…hearing the reports a few weeks ago.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair point - but Rodda has been with the squad already for a period and, apparently, isn’t up to speed yet. I agree though that adding some muscle (and breakdown accuracy) to his workrate would be a great outcome.

But it doesn’t seem practical to me to bring Arnold & Skelton back and get them up to speed in time to make a worthwhile contribution.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Fair point - but Rodda has been with the squad already for a period and, apparently, isn’t up to speed yet. I agree though that adding some muscle (and breakdown accuracy) to his workrate would be a great outcome.

But it doesn’t seem practical to me to bring Arnold & Skelton back and get them up to speed in time to make a worthwhile contribution.
They need to prove themselves in the Super Rugby arena before getting a pass. Hooper has proved to be a better version of himself returning from his years’ experience abroad. Each player needs to be assessed on their own merits. You would assume Rennie kept an eye on those of interest. If they’re not in the squad it’s because they’re not worthy.

Reactions: TSR

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It has occurred to me that two strategies that RA hold are out of sync.
  1. We have a business model that is top-down, e.g. the revenue from the Wallabies funds the tiers below it.
  2. We have a Wallabies selection criteria that is designed to maximise the success of the tier below it, namely Super Rugby, whilst hamstringing the success of the team itself.
Currently - the Wallabies aren't hugely successful. This means:
  • Revenues are likely lower than they would be if they were wildly successful (from gate takings, broadcast deals, etc.).
    • This means less revenue for the tiers below it, namely Super Rugby.
  • The popularity of the Wallabies in Australia is down - they occupy less of the public mind.
    • This means less interest for the sport in Australia, meaning Super Rugby viewing is impacted.
    • This means less involvement of children in the sport, meaning performances across all tiers is impacted.
  • Participation in the team has less value for players - will they prioritise staying in Australia to play for the Wallabies, if playing means to lose against most T1 opposition and to be regularly smashed by the All Blacks? Or will they head overseas for a much improved pay check?
    • This means a team that grows progressively weaker with each season, creating a feedback loop.
Does this make any sense? I understand that if we pick our team from across the globe, we're wary that we'll see an unprecedented exodus - but have we really prevented that anyway? Our Super Rugby squads are sprinkled Wallabies, with the rest made up of 19 year olds.
Surely if we can increase the performance of the Wallabies, we can increase revenues across the board and pump that into the tiers beneath it.
Just a thought.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It has occurred to me that two strategies that RA hold are out of sync.
  1. We have a business model that is top-down, e.g. the revenue from the Wallabies funds the tiers below it.
  2. We have a Wallabies selection criteria that is designed to maximise the success of the tier below it, namely Super Rugby, whilst hamstringing the success of the team itself.
Currently - the Wallabies aren't hugely successful. This means:
  • Revenues are likely lower than they would be if they were wildly successful (from gate takings, broadcast deals, etc.).
    • This means less revenue for the tiers below it, namely Super Rugby.
  • The popularity of the Wallabies in Australia is down - they occupy less of the public mind.
    • This means less interest for the sport in Australia, meaning Super Rugby viewing is impacted.
    • This means less involvement of children in the sport, meaning performances across all tiers is impacted.
  • Participation in the team has less value for players - will they prioritise staying in Australia to play for the Wallabies, if playing means to lose against most T1 opposition and to be regularly smashed by the All Blacks? Or will they head overseas for a much improved pay check?
    • This means a team that grows progressively weaker with each season, creating a feedback loop.
Does this make any sense? I understand that if we pick our team from across the globe, we're wary that we'll see an unprecedented exodus - but have we really prevented that anyway? Our Super Rugby squads are sprinkled Wallabies, with the rest made up of 19 year olds.
Surely if we can increase the performance of the Wallabies, we can increase revenues across the board and pump that into the tiers beneath it.
Just a thought.

The alternative is that they're finally committed to properly diversifying that business model, starting with the product at super level. Weakening that would be a backwards step, even if there was short term gain to be had for the Wallabies.

Obviously for this to work they need to get pay off for that investment in super rugby, which is still very much up in the air.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I like BH's suggestion of using them in our tour north.

Reactions: TSR

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The guy who isn't a standout playing QPR. No thanks.

I was more having a lend with Hosea, but he's only played 1 game for Wests & was one of the better forwards on the park.

As for the others, its just purely how much do you want to be a Wallaby. Samu Kerevi is in his 2nd stint of 14 quarantine just to play 7's at the olympics.

Granted it may not seem a lot of games to build combinations however 5 tests in the RC then another 3 in Europe plus games 2022 & 2023 leading into RWC is more than enough time.

Its just hard watching a kid in his 2nd start & an honest toiler at test level go up against Retallick & Whitelock then after that against Etzebeth & de Jager when we have genuine talent in our stock.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was more having a lend with Hosea, but he's only played 1 game for Wests & was one of the better forwards on the park.

As for the others, its just purely how much do you want to be a Wallaby. Samu Kerevi is in his 2nd stint of 14 quarantine just to play 7's at the olympics.

Granted it may not seem a lot of games to build combinations however 5 tests in the RC then another 3 in Europe plus games 2022 & 2023 leading into RWC is more than enough time.

Its just hard watching a kid in his 2nd start & an honest toiler at test level go up against Retallick & Whitelock then after that against Etzebeth & de Jager when we have genuine talent in our stock.

They didn't do too badly, though. It wasn't the comprehensive dismantling of our lineout that Coleman etc oversaw a few years ago.

I'm interested to see how this team is going to deal with the big uptick in physicality the Springbok will bring.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I actually thought Rodda would walk back in to provide a more experienced lock/caller. He obviously must not be impressing in training and/ or his French stint did not do much for his game. As we have not seen Rodda in action since his return to oz hard to gauge for us where he is at compared to other locks.