• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd like us to pick the 10 with the best kicking game. In the past guys like Lynagh and Larkham have been able to play field position and then attack deep in the opposition half. We need to be smarter in our general play kicking and develop a defence that frustrates the opposition.
Without a workrate from the team the chase, put pressure while keeping structure the best kick will look horrible

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, I don’t know about JOC (James O'Connor) being the form flyhalf. At least Lolesio was around during SRTT. If we use the Crusades as the benchmark, Lolesio clearly the front runner. Lolesio isn’t going to get better from the bench, and we need him gaining the experience because JOC (James O'Connor)’s injuries are a big concern. Hodge might be the safe option now, but he’s really not a quality first playmaker.
Lolesio deserves being persevered with, JOC (James O'Connor) hasn't played for months

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
If Lolesio gives us our best chance of winning the test (not my opinion, but certainly that of others) then play him at 10. My opinion is, of those available, our best chance is Hodge. However, what I strongly disagree with is the concept of sticking with someone who's not ready because he's the future. It certainly wouldn't happen at the AB's, they develop a young player in Super rugby and then off the bench in tests, the idea that if Lolesio comes off the bench for a few tests means he will drop out of test contention is rubbish.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Serious question - why can't Hodge lock down a starting position at fly-half for a Super franchise?

I seriously reckon he is a 15 & will most likely play there next season

Hodge is a utility back who can play anywhere in the back line (half back a stretch) but probably strongest in the centres or 15. His problem is he hasn't locked down on a slot for long enough and that includes 10.

He is no way the WBs best 10, but when we are pushing things he can play there and do fine.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dave Rennie just said on Rugbyheaven that Lukhan Salakaia-Loto is very unlikely to play in the TRC given he went back to Sydney for the birth of his child and the quarantine he would have to do.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hodge is a utility back who can play anywhere in the back line (half back a stretch) but probably strongest in the centres or 15. His problem is he hasn't locked down on a slot for long enough and that includes 10.

He is no way the WBs best 10, but when we are pushing things he can play there and do fine.
And all these comments back up my underlying point;

He's not a natural fly-half and is only ever chosen there out of necessity even at Super level. He's really a centre (or potentially fullback) but isn't good enough to be a candidate in the 12 or 13 jersey for the Wallabies.

Why would we select him when Lolesio, who consistently plays fly-half and hasn't been woeful, is available?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And all these comments back up my underlying point;

He's not a natural fly-half and is only ever chosen there out of necessity even at Super level. He's really a centre (or potentially fullback) but isn't good enough to be a candidate in the 12 or 13 jersey for the Wallabies.

Why would we select him when Lolesio, who consistently plays fly-half and hasn't been woeful, is available?

I wouldn't, all things being equal. But it depends on the coaching team and their read of Lolo's head space. Personally I'd be sticking with him and don't really agree with a lot of the criticism laid on the bloke.

That is a bit different to a longer term plan. Some of these other guys, not currently in the squad, may get a chance at it if they develop well.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
If Lolesio gives us our best chance of winning the test (not my opinion, but certainly that of others) then play him at 10. My opinion is, of those available, our best chance is Hodge. However, what I strongly disagree with is the concept of sticking with someone who's not ready because he's the future. It certainly wouldn't happen at the AB's, they develop a young player in Super rugby and then off the bench in tests, the idea that if Lolesio comes off the bench for a few tests means he will drop out of test contention is rubbish.

Couldn't agree more with this. When did the Wallabies become a developmental team?? They are the pinnacle of the sport in Australia and we should always pick the side we think will give us the best chance of winning. I rate Lolesio highly and can see him being a fantastic Wallabies 10 but at the moment he has serious flaws in his game that need to be developed in Super Rugby and off the bench for now

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Id eat my foot if Hodge could reproduce his par performance from last season at 10. Is that the only professional game hes ever played there?

This chucking the baby out post Bledisloe loss is dumb as fuck.

Last edited:

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Id eat my foot if Hodge could reproduce his par performance from last season at 10. Is that the only professional game hes ever played there?

This chucking the baby out post Bledisloe loss is dumb as fuck.

Hodge has played numerous test matches at 10.

You've summed it up well there though - Lolesio certainly played liked a baby

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't get that, because Lolesio wasn't our worst, he therefore is the best choice at 10 for us to win the test. There were other ordinary performances, To'omua for example, and I wouldn't be selecting him either. Paisami also had perhaps his worst game in gold, but he isn't available anyway, and I think Swain is also unlikely to start. Look, if Rennie thinks Lolesio at 10 is our best chance of winning, he should select him there, and I won't be upset if he does, however it wouldn't be my choice.
The comment about dropping the whole team is just a dummy spit.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
I guess we better drop the entire fucking team then because he was nowhere near the worst.

We lost by 35 points, I agree he wasn't our worst but he was a long way from winning us the test.

I recall two plays that demonstrate how he needs time to develop. The first was obviously the intercept in the first 5 minutes which he threw to the breadbasket to Ioane. The second was the midfield bomb from our own 22 with no one chasing. Both were really poor decisions particularly given the context of the game and resulted in 14 gimme points to the ABs. I would like to reiterate I believe Noah has the skillset to be a gun long-term 10 but he is only in his second year of professional rugby and is far from our best option this weekend

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We lost by 35 points, I agree he wasn't our worst but he was a long way from winning us the test.

I recall two plays that demonstrate how he needs time to develop. The first was obviously the intercept in the first 5 minutes which he threw to the breadbasket to Ioane. The second was the midfield bomb from our own 22 with no one chasing. Both were really poor decisions particularly given the context of the game and resulted in 14 gimme points to the ABs. I would like to reiterate I believe Noah has the skillset to be a gun long-term 10 but he is only in his second year of professional rugby and is far from our best option this weekend
Again, if we are dropping every player that made 2 or more mistakes from that game we are dropping the entire team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Again, if we are dropping every player that made 2 or more mistakes from that game we are dropping the entire team.
You can only drop someone if there is a capable replacement ready to take his spot. Some players are protected because they don't have much/any competition. Others are more at risk as they are seen as on equal ranking to those that missed out.

It's a fair point to argue who plays at 10 as traditionally the Wallabies 10 runs the show. I see merit in at least looking at other options as Noah isn't where we need him to be, yet. Time will tell if he's the long term option for us but some pressure needs to be placed on these guys so they know they need to battle for their spots, might make him think twice about where he passes the ball.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'd argue that early on in a players career they do get better being on the bench. Bring them on at the back end of the game and play against a tiring team. NZ are the masters of this, by the time a player is in a starting role they have 20-30 test caps and are part of the furniture, I understand they are in a completely different position than we are currently.
Most players are playing off the bench because there is someone who is better or has more experience than them. So they get to watch and learn from that better/experienced player. The only person who comes close to that for Lolesio in the Wallabies right now is QC (Quade Cooper).

Hodge would be close to my last pick. It really is a 'Hail Mary' selection thinking that he will be better than Lolesio. If he was better, he would have been in contention for Game 1 & 2. Hodge is not the guy who will be at 10 come 2023 RWC, it's either going to be Lolesio, maybe JOC (James O'Connor) or someone who isn't in the Wallaby frame right now.

For me, To'omua is gone as well. He isn't Test standard at 10 or 12 and I think it's unlikely he will be around in 2023 as well.

History shows that the teams that perform well at RWC are teams who have experience and have combinations so like it or not, Rennie MUST have that in his mind as he makes his selections because he only has 2 maybe 2 and a half seasons left with this young squad.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You can only drop someone if there is a capable replacement ready to take his spot.

Dave Rennie on Cooper: 'He’s applying pressure on us for selection.”

In terms of Lolo consider that Rennie has also said (about Cooper): "His ability for pass selection or kicking options has been spot on and it’s been really good from a training perspective for us."

From where I sit, if Rennie selects Lolo it means he believes that Lolo is matching this standard. And then has other strengths ahead of Cooper. If true, it is very good.

Interesting times.