• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
My guess, FWIW, is that the plan is to look for Lonergan to cause some damage with his mobility, taking a punt that he can hold his own in the set pieces (a bit of an ask, admittedly). He could be a match winner. (Or loser).
Surely that would have been a better plan against Argentina? Anyway, that pack is stacked with Brumbies that went OK but didn’t play the house down as a unit compared to the other Oz sides.
So far NZ have brought on their strongest scrumming front row to counter TT when he enters the game. Sunday will be no different.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
But Tahs, Reds and maybe Rebels fans will be lining up to knife the Brumbies if they lose (as they predictably will - and would with 11 from any other province).

Jeez BR getting on the offensive defensive before the game is even played

Last edited:

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
But Tahs, Reds and maybe Rebels fans will be lining up to knife the Brumbies if they lose (as they predictably will - and would with 11 from any other province).
Don't worry too much about it mate, they'll get plenty of support... the only one of them who is actually from Canberra/ACT is Lonergan and he's only on the bench!!! :cool:

Slipper, Swain, Lolesio, Ikitau & Banks are all Qlders
AAA, Fainga'a, White are from NSW
Valetini & Samu are Victorians.

But don't worry, I'm sure someone will be hating on Lonergan for you....:p Loving those Brumbies junior talent pathways!!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Don't worry too much about it mate, they'll get plenty of support. the only one of them who is actually from Canberra/ACT is Lonergan and he's only on the bench!!! :cool:

But don't worry, I'm sure someone will be hating on Lonergan for you..:p Loving those Brumbies junior talent pathways!!
I hope Gagger has adequate public liability insurance, I can see somebody blowing a gasket.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
When's Daugunu back?
I haven't heard him mentioned when J'OC and Vunivalu have been doing media and talking about a return so I'm guessing it's a while off. I do think I saw him doing kicking work with Dave Alred and those two, but given it's an arm injury I doubt that means much.

I have a feeling he was expected to be out for the whole rugby championship, but I've got nothing to back that up.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Don't worry too much about it mate, they'll get plenty of support. the only one of them who is actually from Canberra/ACT is Lonergan and he's only on the bench!!! :cool:

But don't worry, I'm sure someone will be hating on Lonergan for you..:p Loving those Brumbies junior talent pathways!!
In Brumbies defence; the Reds need to look at its talent identification and wonder why they didn’t see Wallabies potential in these Qld products. Slipper is my big gripe. Where’s the humanity in hanging him out to dry rather than being the support in his dark times.
Hats off to the Brumbies for having the vision and compassion and in turn now dominating our national team. Due credit.

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As often is the case, we might not know the full story. Slipper, for example, might have been better off living in the ACT. A total change of scene.

Life might be a bit simpler, fewer temptations, more time to concentrate on getting, and staying, fit in every way.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
As often is the case, we might not know the full story. Slipper, for example, might have been better off living in the ACT. A total change of scene.

Life might be a bit simpler, fewer temptations, more time to concentrate on getting, and staying, fit in every way.
Maybe so. We never really know what goes on but credit where due.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In Brumbies defence; the Reds need to look at its talent identification and wonder why they didn’t see Wallabies potential in these Qld products. Slipper is my big gripe. Where’s the humanity in hanging him out to dry rather than being the support in his dark times.
Hats off to the Brumbies for having the vision and compassion and in turn now dominating our national team. Due credit.

I really rate Slipper too and I'm really impressed with him post Reds. Like you, I would have made him a Qld project. All the same, I can accept what Thorn did there. Don't agree with it, but I can accept it.

After that while I'm impressed with Swain I wouldn't have put him ahead of the Qld lock opposition at the time. Great to see Ikitau and Banks make their mark, but again I think we're in a good position. 10 is the slot that confuses me and I really haven't seen the Reds show that they have excellence in developing flyhalves. I might have taken Harrison over Lolo, but it remains a slot where the Reds need to do better in terms of development.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

1630808459146.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TSR

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Nothing against the performance of the team on Wednesday night as they showed a lot of heart but if coach Rennie wants to win the bledisloe and world cup I think some changes need to be made. I am aware that some of the players below are not available due to injury, however when they are available they should be at a minimum in the 23 to get the experience needed. Most of the players select themselves however a few left field choices need to be made and they need to start selecting overseas based players. Disclaimer I am a Waratahs supporter and have tried to be unbiased with my selections.

Taniela Tipou THP (Alan Allaalatoa bench)
Brandon Paenga Amosa Hooker (Kaituu on bench though honestly don't know much about him)
Angus Bell LHP (James Slipper bench)
Rory Anold Lock
Will Skelton Lock (Darcy Swain bench)
Michael Hooper captain for his experience though I do like Fraser McWreight but Hooper based on experience and captaincy.
Swindon at 6
Valentini. (either Hanigan or Solakia Loto on the bench based on ability to cover lock, number 8 and blindside).
Tate McDermott number 9 with Nic White on bench. Tate is the best sniper of all the Australian halves and will keep the opposition guessing. His box kicks and delivery will improve.
Tom Write as Fly half with O'Connor on the bench. Yes that is correct. I think for Australia to win the Bledisloe we need someone with the potential to be absolutely dynamic at fly half, like a Richie Mounga or Barrett. I love the second coming of James O'Connor but he has lost that speed, that edge he once had to make a clean break though has improved his composure tremendously. Wright I believe played fly half for Joeys and I feel his skills are not being utilized to the full extent on the wing. With some experience at Super Rugby level at fly half and a few tests he could be the man. The younger fly halves such as Harrison and Loesio are solid but not yet up to standard. Harrison also plays to deep which is why Donaldson looked better for the Waratahs when Harrison got injured.
Marika Koroibete wing
Hunter Pasamai number 12 with O'connor to cover from the bench
Samu Kerevi (Not sure on Kerevi as been gone for a while. Happy to give him a chance to prove himself. On the bench is Isaia Peresie as can cover the 13 and wing).
Jordan Petaia at 15. I think this would be his best position as we need someone at the back with speed, who is good under the high ball and can make a clean break so that opposition teams are hesitant to kick as much due to the ability to counter attack. Banks, Hodge, Maddocks, DHP, just don't offer enough in this position. (O'Connor to cover full back from the bench).

The one weekness we have is a bench player to cover 7 if Hooper goes down. McMahon may be useful here with Darcy Swain moving outside the 23.
Here is a team I posted back in July a weekness is no goal kicker so Nick White to half back instead of Mcdermott. If a few risks aren’t taken you get the same result year in year out. I would be pushing Wright or Kellaway back to Shute shield and giving them a go at flyhalf. Sorry’ Lolesio is not the answer for the wallabies. I would also be pushing for the Manly Warringah NRL winger to make the switch Saab I think his name is. He is a talent with more skill than Folau under the high ball and as fast as ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok for us to win against Argentina...

Hunter and Samu in the centre’s (ikatau not test quality...yet)

White to start with Tate on the bench.

Valentini to the bench - Isi or Wilson to start

JOC (James O'Connor) welcome back...Noah back outside 23 unless JOC (James O'Connor) not ready...At this point still JOC (James O'Connor)...distance second...Noah...latter marginally ahead of other options but with room to improve

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Positives column: put 21 points on the ABs. Scrum.

Negatives column: well... only skills, execution, and yet more fucking intercept tries.

Seriously - we show again and again that we can make inroads then fucking give it away with a lack of composure.

If we can't beat a third-string ABs even despite all our disruptions, and have now shifted to forwards throwing intercepts, then how do we proceed?