• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Wait until you have seen as many losses as I have. On the other hand, what if?

Lolesio kicked that gimme.

Banks put the farking ball into touch after the red card.

I would drop both of them.
What if’s?
No, it was Groundhog Day, we got beat all over the park, again.

there are no solutions, it’s where we are.

if we score early, get the bounce of the ball, we’re an outside chance of an upset.

That doesn’t happen that often, but it’s all we’ve got, at this point of time.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
McDermott has more than a few flashes of brilliance but his service is too slow. The All Blacks were able to reset their defence after every ruck. He needs to speed up. It doesn't help that the Wallabies on the whole were lost on attack.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McDermott has more than a few flashes of brilliance but his service is too slow. The All Blacks were able to reset their defence after every ruck. He needs to speed up. It doesn't help that the Wallabies on the whole were lost on attack.

I thought he was our best on ground, but agreed that his passing slow at times as he was doing a sort of double pump when picking the ball up off the ground..............

Also needs to work on his box kicking, and managing his forward pods better to give him some coverage when he does.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What if’s?
No, it was Groundhog Day, we got beat all over the park, again.

there are no solutions, it’s where we are.

if we score early, get the bounce of the ball, we’re an outside chance of an upset.

That doesn’t happen that often, but it’s all we’ve got, at this point of time.
How about if we make our tackles? The Ioane brothers were running through us like we were the local U13s.
How about we don’t kick the pill away just because we have advantage. Isn’t 7 points better than 3?
How about we actually make our easy shots at goal and make sure of our touch finders?
How about we stop throwing Hail Mary passes that the whole AB side is waiting to pick off?

Is that coaching or are the players really just incapable of following direction? Who knows? We have many good players and a fair bit of talent on the side line about to come back. I would be very nervous if I was one of the players that continued to make these errors. The honeymoon will soon be over for Dave Rennie and he needs to makes sure his 23 are playing to the game plan.
If the players are incapable of executing the game plan and there are not alternates who can, change the game plan.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

We are looking at the same input, but very much reading it differently. The slow rucks, for me, were around the forwards not being able to control the ABs at the ruck.

I rate White highly, and might even start him over Tate against the Springboks "bore you to death" rugby. But on the whole I put Tate well ahead of White, who did a great job from the bench. Not all the "finishers" achieved this, White did in spades.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought he was our best on ground, but agreed that his passing slow at times as he was doing a sort of double pump when picking the ball up off the ground......

Also needs to work on his box kicking, and managing his forward pods better to give him some coverage when he does.

With the double pump, I did see Tate use it as a way of catching the AB's out, he got that missed penalty kick from that prop thinking the ball was out.

With the slow passing, I wasn't paying attention to whether he had anyone serviceable and ready to hit the ball, especially with pace.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Will Genia pre-2012 knee injury was an extremely potent runner, however his running game was reigned in after that injury.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I think Will Genia pre-2012 knee injury was an extremely potent runner, however his running game was reigned in after that injury.
he seemed pretty great in that 1st lions test, i always viewed that series as the last time will and big kev were ever really at their best.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tate was cooked at times in the second half from making a linebreak and then immediately having to scurry back in cover defence after his team mates let him down and turned it over. Going to excuse him if he was sometimes slow to get to the ruck and clear the ball.
Should Tate have been sweeping to gobble up the short grubber kick that became a try?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Tate was cooked at times in the second half from making a linebreak and then immediately having to scurry back in cover defence after his team mates let him down and turned it over. Going to excuse him if he was sometimes slow to get to the ruck and clear the ball.

Seeing him live he looked pretty gassed at about the 55-60 minute mark. He'd been carrying the team on his back up until that point and I thought he was superb in a losing cause yesterday.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You could see the frustration in Mcdermott. Had to do alot himself, but this could also reflect a lack of stern direction from him and Lolesio as play unfolded. Something that Genia/Quade were a masterclass at. Always the general and conductor pulling the strings.

Something the youngsters have a long way to go to learn more about, especially with locks and backrows who similarly are a bit underdone in the 'nous' department. Guys like elsom, mowen, Higs, horwill, simmons etc weren't the biggest units on the planet, but their nous and decision making were evident.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
You could see the frustration in Mcdermott. Had to do alot himself, but this could also reflect a lack of stern direction from him and Lolesio as play unfolded. Something that Genia/Quade were a masterclass at. Always the general and conductor pulling the strings.

Something the youngsters have a long way to go to learn more about, especially with locks and backrows who similarly are a bit underdone in the 'nous' department. Guys like elsom, mowen, Higs, horwill, simmons etc weren't the biggest units on the planet, but their nous and decision making were evident.
You’re spot on. Cohesion is the key. McDermott and Lolesio don’t have this. Copper and Genia had great cohesion. Lolesio and White do. I think McDermott and JOC (James O'Connor) do on a lesser scale. At some degree coaches disregard paired cohesion and as fans we definitely do. We are unforgiving. In the backs the key links are 9,10; 10,12; 10;15; 9,15; 12;13; 13;14; and 11,15. Playmakers offered from 9, 10 and 15. If the 10 is weak, the 9 will look to 12 as the playmaker.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I thought he was our best on ground, but agreed that his passing slow at times as he was doing a sort of double pump when picking the ball up off the ground......

I actually thought his box kicking has improved out of site from this time 12 months ago, still not close to Nic White in that area but who in australia is?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Should Tate have been sweeping to gobble up the short grubber kick that became a try?

Yes, that is his role but he was caught in the previous breakdown which happens.

Someone else has to be alert to that fact and fill that role. I am not sure who that would be but presumably it's something they discuss and work out.

The brilliance of the All Blacks is that they realised McDermott was out of position and put the grubber kick through because no one was there to cover it.

Meanwhile, the Wallabies decision making was putting in a speculative cross field kick under penalty advantage from the 22 rather than passing it to their most elusive back, Kerevi who was one on one with the tight head prop.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, that is his role but he was caught in the previous breakdown which happens.

Someone else has to be alert to that fact and fill that role. I am not sure who that would be but presumably it's something they discuss and work out.

The brilliance of the All Blacks is that they realised McDermott was out of position and put the grubber kick through because no one was there to cover it.

Meanwhile, the Wallabies decision making was putting in a speculative cross field kick under penalty advantage from the 22 rather than passing it to their most elusive back, Kerevi who was one on one with the tight head prop.
Bad decisions are gunna happen when you are roughly 800 caps short of a proper test side.

I don't even think 800 is an exaggeration.