• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
If Quade does maintain this form, surely it does raise questions about where JOC (James O'Connor) fits in. Kellaway has been great and i would have no problem throwing him in at 15, but JOC (James O'Connor) has a fair bit of experience at 15, and would give us a 2nd playmaker since Kerevi and Ikitau arent filling those roles. also with Vunivalu and Daugunu out, and Wright no longer really in contention after his one shocker, i think Kellaway and Koroibete are our best wing options.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cooper's performance was exactly what we needed from our 10 and essentially what I have been after with the request that Hodge get a shot there (who I note was poor off the bench last night).

He didn't try and overplay his hand, just played his role and kicked exceptionally well.

10 is obviously a key position but it seems to me, particularly with our team, that the 10 is more likely to lose you the game through poor option taking and other mistakes than win you the game through dazzling playmaking.

We scored one try last night versus three for the Springboks but we won through great goal kicking and accumulating points when we got into attacking positions. Part of that was predicated on the Springboks ill-discipline and perhaps if they'd infringed less we would have scored more tries.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Cooper at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 pretty much solves all the backline issues, though I'd be happy to see Kellaway or even Petaia there too.

Banks is basically Jesse Mogg 2.0 with the same strengths and weakness's. Really performs at Super Rugby level but never closes the deal at Test level. Time to move on and give someone else a shot... Even Hodge would be preferable IMO.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Cooper at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 pretty much solves all the backline issues, though I'd be happy to see Kellaway or even Petaia there too.

Banks is basically Jesse Mogg 2.0 with the same strengths and weakness's. Really performs at Super Rugby level but never closes the deal at Test level. Time to move on and give someone else a shot. Even Hodge would be preferable IMO.
i think Mogg was a fair bit worse defensively, but was quicker and had a massive boot. Agrred that Cooper 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 does go along way to solving our backline issues

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
i think Mogg was a fair bit worse defensively, but was quicker and had a massive boot. Agrred that Cooper 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 does go along way to solving our backline issues
I wouldn't mind Koribete having a rest over the next couple of weeks. I love his enthusiasm and intent but am getting increasingly frustrated with his limitations (you know what he will do every touch) and growing repeated idiosyncrasies (obsession with getting tackled, placing the ball and trying to pick it up again, as well as the crawling).

Let's give Wright or Vunivalu a go against the Argies to gain experience (and regain confidence in Wright's case) against lesser competition.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think that's harsh on MK - he showed last night he can kick the ball.

If you take out MK, you take away a world class finisher and more importantly, if QC (Quade Cooper) is starting next weekend, MK and Kerevi are the only two backs who ran an inside line or changed direction

The starting back line should be rewarded for a good effort, while Hodge should be punished for kick that makes Dunning's drop goal seem trivial!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
South Africa targeted us with the highball yesterday. Banks wasn’t necessarily great in handling it, but O’Connor would be a further step down IMO.

I think Kellaway at 15 with Petaia at 14 and O’Connor on the bench could be an option.

But these guys did just beat South Africa and they are World Champs and recently took down the Lions. I’d be pretty happy if Rennie rewarded all of them with another crack. By all means give Swinton & Fainga'a a bit of a kick up the arse for their dumb play but also give them a chance to back up their win.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
South Africa targeted us with the highball yesterday. Banks wasn’t necessarily great in handling it, but O’Connor would be a further step down IMO.

I think Kellaway at 15 with Petaia at 14 and O’Connor on the bench could be an option.

But these guys did just beat South Africa and they are World Champs and recently took down the Lions. I’d be pretty happy if Rennie rewarded all of them with another crack. By all means give Swinton & Fainga'a a bit of a kick up the arse for their dumb play but also give them a chance to back up their win.

I wouldn’t say South Africa targeted the Wallabies with highballs, that’s literally their game plan and what they did during the B&I Lions series. It’s their only attacking play.

I do agree O’Connors height would count against him in the high balls, but if I’m frank it think positioning is the reason Banks missed so many and not height.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1. Slipper
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
4. Swain
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. McDermott
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Hodge/JO'C
16. BPA
17. Bell
18. Holmes
19. Rodda
20. Samu/Wilson
21. White
22. Paisami/Perese
23. JO'C/Hodge

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
1. Slipper
2. Kaitu'u
3. Tupou
4. Swain
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. McDermott
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Hodge/JO'C
16. BPA
17. Bell
18. Holmes
19. Rodda
20. Samu/Wilson
21. White
22. Paisami/Perese
23. JO'C/Hodge

Surely White comes into the starting side. McDermott illustrated again he has a long way to go in his development, his game is perfectly suited to the bench for now. Otherwise I think this is spot on.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
One of the reasons Slipper was benched was for a bit of a rest/change it up because he may need to play TH next week (this from rennie)

I would rather not see, but wouldn't be surprised to see

1. Bell 3. Tupou

17. Sio 18. Slipper