• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Surely White comes into the starting side. McDermott illustrated again he has a long way to go in his development, his game is perfectly suited to the bench for now. Otherwise I think this is spot on.
Sure - McDermott has plenty of room for growth. But that’s not the deciding issue.

He is already, IMO, as good at 9 as White. White is better at some things, but worse at others. But I think the last few weeks have shown McDermott is already at least as good (I would suggest better) then White at test level and that any claims that White’s game is better at test level are false.

White did well off the bench on the weekend, but he wasn’t without flaws. Pretty much the same as McDermott in the first half. Personally I think McDermott continues to start.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sure - McDermott has plenty of room for growth. But that’s not the deciding issue.

He is already, IMO, as good at 9 as White. White is better at some things, but worse at others. But I think the last few weeks have shown McDermott is already at least as good (I would suggest better) then White at test level and that any claims that White’s game is better at test level are false.

White did well off the bench on the weekend, but he wasn’t without flaws. Pretty much the same as McDermott in the first half. Personally I think McDermott continues to start.
Nar White was an upgrade on McDermott who was looking a little ropey before coming off early.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nar White was an upgrade on McDermott who was looking a little ropey before coming off early.

If "ropey" means injured, then I agree. Tate easily the better half - most of the time. I wouldn't be concerned though with White starting against the Boks.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I disagree. And he came off at half time because of injury.

McDermott featured prominently in the 3-2-1 voting for each game of the Bledisloe.

What I find odd about this criticism is that you continually bemoans our lack of players who play well against the best and then, even when someone does, your still actively looking for reasons to turf him on the fact that he made 1-2 errors against the number 1 team in the world and/or that he still has room to improve.

Faf kicked out on the full and threw a couple of rubbish passes. Do you reckon South Africa will contemplate for a second dropping him?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The only thing I think White does a little better than Tate is box-kicking - he was very close to having a few batted down yesterday. That's partly down to the poor protection he gets, but his move to kick is a bit slow. Neither are in the same class as Faf or Nugget.
However, McDermott has done more than enough to be starting for now. Let him grow.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It may be time for half backs to consider the judicious use of an old fashioned dive pass. Assuming it delivered a longer trajectory than a standing pass, it would be useful for creating more space for the first receiver. A wide standing 5/8 would be able to set up outside runners to get the ball earlier than the arrival of on-rushing shooters.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
McDermott has been close to best on ground the two previous games, and played injured for 35mins in this one. Whites box kick is marginally better, but everything else McDermott has more then caught up this year and surpassed White. White still has more experience and composure but McDermott has been pretty good this year in that space also.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Although I did really enjoy watching White throw his mouth gaurd into the ground when Le Roux was sent.

Embarassing response from a grown man, but funny none the less.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I disagree. And he came off at half time because of injury.

McDermott featured prominently in the 3-2-1 voting for each game of the Bledisloe.

What I find odd about this criticism is that you continually bemoans our lack of players who play well against the best and then, even when someone does, your still actively looking for reasons to turf him on the fact that he made 1-2 errors against the number 1 team in the world and/or that he still has room to improve.

Faf kicked out on the full and threw a couple of rubbish passes. Do you reckon South Africa will contemplate for a second dropping him?
Weird - i literally just said i thought White played better against the best? Didn't realise Tate was injured for the entire first half so fair enough if that was the case. White came on and made several clutch plays.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The only thing I think White does a little better than Tate is box-kicking - he was very close to having a few batted down yesterday. That's partly down to the poor protection he gets, but his move to kick is a bit slow. Neither are in the same class as Faf or Nugget.
However, McDermott has done more than enough to be starting for now. Let him grow.
White is also a pretty good pilfer, randomly.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I hardly think that comes into the equation as to which player gets selected at 9. And it's not as if it's a large data set. But sure.

Ha! Perhaps not the pilfer itself, but the maddening intent to not be outdone by the pack - well I don't mind that in a 9. And we sure as hell got use of it on Sunday. Awesome scrum would have meant nothing if White had not pounced.

I'd start Tate mostly. But we should think about White against the Boks.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
McDermott has been close to best on ground the two previous games, and played injured for 35mins in this one. Whites box kick is marginally better, but everything else McDermott has more then caught up this year and surpassed White. White still has more experience and composure but McDermott has been pretty good this year in that space also.

I think more how good to have quality 9's as a starter and equal thereabouts give or take (slightly better or slightly worse) quality half to come on as the finisher. Use to be just White as stand out but McDermott now risen to be about on par. Both quality but with some point of difference, just happy for both to be in the 23.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ha! Perhaps not the pilfer itself, but the maddening intent to not be outdone by the pack - well I don't mind that in a 9. And we sure as hell got use of it on Sunday. Awesome scrum would have meant nothing if White had not pounced.

I'd start Tate mostly. But we should think about White against the Boks.

That precise kicking game is nice and a long penalty shot option. We are lucky to have two excellent half backs.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
McDermott & White are both brilliant. They also both slow down as the game progresses so when one replaces the other, the one who just came on the field looks better because they're fresher and faster at the time than the one who just went off. They both do this to each other. This argument happens regardless of which starts. Just keep rotating them in the starting spot & playing both because neither can do a full 80.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They both can go 80. But 9 is so key you’ll pretty much always have one on the bench. When they are this good, you use them.