• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The SMH reporting that Rennie is hopeful that Kerevi and Coopers clubs will allow them to tour. If not then Paisami is a must. I think it is seen as positive by the Japanese clubs if their players are playing test rugby, unlike their European counterparts.
I posted this earlier - but I wonder how much being Wallaby eligible will alter Kerevi's (and other Australian players) next contract in Japan.

I imagine he'd be one of the highest paid players in the competition, and that was under the assumption that he was forgoing his Wallaby eligibility. There is the positive for Suntory that they now have the first choice Wallaby 12 on their books, but that comes with increased risk of injury and unavailability on an investment they thought was wholly committed to their club.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Anybody know why Naivalu not playing for Stade? He'd be one I'd love to see in the mix who is already over there, but assuming he is injured?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I posted this earlier - but I wonder how much being Wallaby eligible will alter Kerevi's (and other Australian players) next contract in Japan.

I imagine he'd be one of the highest paid players in the competition, and that was under the assumption that he was forgoing his Wallaby eligibility. There is the positive for Suntory that they now have the first choice Wallaby 12 on their books, but that comes with increased risk of injury and unavailability on an investment they thought was wholly committed to their club.

He wont miss any JRLO games so it is really just the insurance issue.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He wont miss any JRLO games so it is really just the insurance issue.

a lot of the tour is still outside the regulation 9 window of when clubs have to release a player(3 week period in November), and sits well within the notoriously long Japanese club pre-season, most Japan club players returned for pre-season weeks ago

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
a lot of the tour is still outside the regulation 9 window of when clubs have to release a player(3 week period in November), and sits well within the notoriously long Japanese club pre-season, most Japan club players returned for pre-season weeks ago

Isn't only the test against Japan outside of it?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Isn't only the test against Japan outside of it?
I don't know if there is a COVID quarantine clause.. but Regulation 9 says the players are only required to be released for test matches over 3 weekends in November, and players are required to be available for assembly 5 days prior to the test match, and released back to the club within a few days following the test.

If you look at the travel schedule, Wallabies will travel to UK 2 weeks before the Scotland Test, 3 week tour and then 2 weeks quarantine on return to Japan after the last test. If you include the Japan test, it makes it about 8 weeks which he is removed from his club side.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Harry Wilson will be left behind for the spring tour to have a proper pre season. Interesting strategy
He missed a fair chunk of this year’s preseason , maybe those in the know think that’s been an issue for him this year ?
There have been a few in the past that have come back from end of season tours well over their ideal playing weight and the shorter preseason isn’t enough to get them to get back back on track for the year ahead .
Sounded like they want to give him a full preseason heading into next year to see what that might bring to his game .

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Harry Wilson will be left behind for the spring tour to have a proper pre season. Interesting strategy
Maybe his just not up to speed in at the moment and a preseason will be better then training camp..

He is obviously i think the most talented 8 in oz... but think Valetini has him in dominance and others in speed... he be back.. if he puts in a good off season he be deadly..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

yeah apparently a strategy to get his body physically right, he hasn’t had a proper pre-season since joining the Reds and at 21 he is far from physically mature yet. Fraser McReight in a similar position, likewise with Nick Frost.

They’re all players who would be better served doing a pre-season and physically readying their bodies then touring.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He needs to put some beef on, according to one report I read.
Even 4 or 5 kg of extra muscle could make him much more effective.

Christy Doran has mentioned this but I’m not sure how much inside gossip he really gets these days. The journalists under the Nine masthead(SMH etc) seem to be more on the money with information coming out of camp, which makes sense.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes Wilson is getting left behind for a proper preseason, but it's not like someone else is making the squad OVER him.

They are taking 36 and he won't make the cut in a reduced backrow contingent THEREFORE he will get a full preseason, not the other way around.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They suggested 6 from the current squad will be cut.… It’s hard to keep track of who‘s actually there but i suspect these names will be a chance of been left behind: Wilson, McReight, Frost, R Lonergan, Foketi, Muirhead

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Yes Wilson is getting left behind for a proper preseason, but it's not like someone else is making the squad OVER him.

They are taking 36 and he won't make the cut in a reduced backrow contingent THEREFORE he will get a full preseason, not the other way around.
Certainly makes sense for him to stay home and build some size for next year. I'd even suggest doing the same for McReight, he could do with another 5-10KG.
Realistically Hooper won't be missing any games + will play the full 80 mins unless he is injured. We've got Samu who can cover if need be. If Rennie is tapping into overseas talent and Hooper is injured, I'd like to see Liam Gill given a crack.....

Reactions: dru